Thinking of trying my hand at Saltwater.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hondatek said:
A huge reef octopus lol. I use a 2500 diablo . I also hear great stuff about bubble magus .

I don't think a skimmer will fit in the budget this week :( ill have to save 2 paychecks to get te one I need... Is there something else I should get besides the ro/di??? My budget is $150-175

AndrewsPistol said:
I don't think a skimmer will fit in the budget this week :( ill have to save 2 paychecks to get te one I need... Is there something else I should get besides the ro/di??? My budget is $150-175

That's about enough for just the Ro/Di unit and maybe a a couple small things like filter socks

Yes that'd a great unit. I was gonna get this one but they were sold out so I settled with the 4 stage (you can upgrade these units easily). The extra carbon block will lengthen the lifespan of you resin and membrane. After 9 months I'm still getting 0 TDS but I'm gonna change out all my filters in the next month or two. Also I would advise getting the extras like the dual inline TDS meter flush kit and pressure goats if it doesn't already come with it. And a spare set of filters is always nice to have readily available

Mrc8858 said:
Yes that'd a great unit. I was gonna get this one but they were sole out so I settled with the 4 stage. The extra carbon block will lengthen the lifespan of you resin and membrane. After 9 months I'm still getting 0 TDS but I'm gonna change out all my filters in the next month or two. Also I would advise getting the extras like the dual inline TDS meter flush kit and pressure goats if it doesn't already come with it. And a spare set of filters is always nice to have readily available

Perfect! Thanks! Looked like a good deal :) all the brs units have fantastic reviews! Oh I want a refractometer NOT a hydrometer, correct?

Yes and they come with a bottle of calibration fluid so don't make the same mistake I did and buy a bottle cause it lasts awhile lol

Mrc8858 said:
Yes and they come with a bottle of calibration fluid so don't mage the same mistake I did and buy a bottle cause it last awhile lol

Ok lol :) ahhhh!!! So excited! Finally becoming real :)

AndrewsPistol said:
Ok Instant Ocean or Red Sea salt.... What's the difference... Besides price haha!

This one is a very debatable... I personally use Kent reef salt with no issues but I know a lot of people use io and red sea with great success too

Mrc8858 said:
This one is a very debatable... I personally use Kent reef salt with no issues but I know a lot of people use io and red sea with great success too

Is there a reason? Is it better? The price is good :)

They will differ in the concentrations of various trace elements. You can't go wrong with any of those really. Some people even use a different salt mix every water change to switch it up.

Only thing I've found about the kent salt is it has a very high concentration of calcium (which Is why I use it) but I seem to need to dose my alkalinity a bit more then I'd like to keep balanced with the calcium.. other then that this salt hasnt given me any issues plus its like $10 cheaper :)

Thanks for the info! I have heard bigger is better but I am afraid to jump into this and go ahead with a bigger tank because here in northern Michigan the price of things is greatly inflated and I'd hate to invest in expensive fish and have them die on us :( I also worry about having a bigger tank and buying water for wc's because I can't use tap... Or am I totally wrong in assuming that? I would be doing daily wc's while cycling and I'm thinking it could get rather expensive. The lfs has premixed water in 5g jugs and I thought that with using the smaller tank I could get a couple wc's with one jug.... So I need the tank, led lighting, An optional filter, which I think I will do, the LR, a heater, water...and what else am I missing? Do I have to get live sand or can I use blasting (silica) sand like I use in my fw tanks?

Hi,

I am new to the saltwater tank and I love it. I have a 26gl that is doing great. I buy the RO water at Walmart. It is only $0.37 per gallon if you fill your own water at the Culligan Water station all Walmarts have.

Good Luck

DanS180 said:
Glad to hear, how's the tank coming along??

Kinda got put on the back burner :( I have another 150g Cichlid build I have been working on... Have to get it done before I move! 2 weeks!

Back
Top Bottom