Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #101
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkota

The black part is the bulkhead adapter, they are fairly inexpensive (about $3-$5 depending on the size) then just buy PVC at your local hardware store.
Ohhh so it's commonly found... So how do I get it off??? I'll have to break it off. How do you suggest I go about it? It is glued on with something strong.... I'm trying to get te PVC off to take to the hardware to get new!

Old 09-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #102
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsPistol

Ohhh so it's commonly found... So how do I get it off??? I'll have to break it off. How do you suggest I go about it? It is glued on with something strong....
It will unscrew from the bottom side. It should only be about hand tight maybe a little tighter if you tighten them too much it will crack the glass/acrylic bulkhead

Also, check out Mr saltwater tv website and his YouTube videos. He has a lot of helpful info for first timers http://www.mrsaltwatertank.com/

I just noticed yours will unthread from the top. You will have to cut the pipe just above the black part (if its glued in) and then unscrew the black nut

Old 09-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #103
Aquarium Advice Addict

The previous owner may have siliconed it in which I've seen some people do and is a major headache : /
Old 09-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #104
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have been trying to unscrew it every single day lol... Pretty much every time I walk by it!!! I'm pretty sure it is siliconed in... I'm gonna make a pot of coffee and try some more... Headache is the perfect description haha!!! I really can't do anything until I get it squared away... I guess I could work on the sump, it just annoys me I can't get it off lol!
Old 09-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #105
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have hear of people using rubbing alcohol to soften the silicone, you could try that. If the used PVC cement you will probably have to cut the pipe then unscrew the bulkhead adapter. Either way anything you do should be done gently so as not to crack the glass
Old 09-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #106
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I have hear of people using rubbing alcohol to soften the silicone, you could try that. If the used PVC cement you will probably have to cut the pipe then unscrew the bulkhead adapter. Either way anything you do should be done gently so as not to crack the glass
I am so nervous!!! I would be so mad at myself if I broke it!
Old 09-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #107
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
+1.. if it were me I would just leave all that there as long as its not cracked or leaking.. probably a better chance of doing bad then good replacing it if its that tough. Just replace the rest of the pvc
Old 09-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #108
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just curious, did you see the system up and running prior to purchase? If not I would set it up outside and fill it with water to check for leaks before you spend a lot of time and money on something that has a bad seal.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #109
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858

+1.. if it were me I would just leave all that there as long as its not cracked or leaking.. probably a better chance of doing bad then good replacing it if its that tough. Just replace the rest of the pvc
So how do I patch up the cracked PVC???? Cement?? Will that hold in the long term??

Quote:
Just curious, did you see the system up and running prior to purchase? If not I would set it up outside and fill it with water to check for leaks before you spend a lot of time and money on something that has a bad seal.
I did not but I did see the one they swapped it out for, they took everything out and put it in a 6ft bow front. The most beautiful reef I have EVER seen! I do plan on testing it... I'm moving here soon and my thought were to leave it outside and test the seals before bringing it it. All the seals look immaculate tho.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #110
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like a 155bf which I can't seem to find one anywhere near me :'( if its cracked though then you'll need to replace it.

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com