Thinking of trying my hand at Saltwater.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AndrewsPistol said:
Kinda got put on the back burner :( I have another 150g Cichlid build I have been working on... Have to get it done before I move! 2 weeks!

Yeah Im in the same boat with having my 90G setup on hold until we move lol it sucks bc I can't stop planning on what to get lol

AndrewsPistol said:
So.... How would one move an established, working tank of about 70g??? :)

Help! I need to know what this entails... What supplies will I need? I gotta know I can pull this off ;) I need some encouragement haha.

AndrewsPistol said:
Help! I need to know what this entails... What supplies will I need? I gotta know I can pull this off ;) I need some encouragement haha.

That's a tough one TBH lol I never had to move such a big tank that far... I would assume numerous buckets/containers.. maybe portable heaters and air stones for the live rock. :/ wish I could help more

DanS180 said:
That's a tough one TBH lol I never had to move such a big tank that far... I would assume numerous buckets/containers.. maybe portable heaters and air stones for the live rock. :/ wish I could help more

Yea, it's a daunting task! I don't have my ro system set up yet or the drum to make water in. I'm gonna have to somehow, someway find a way to transport 100% of the water. I could go get some salt and try to mix up some because I'm sure I won't be able to get "all" of it... I was thinking about getting some garbage cans and filing one with water and rock, one water and sand and one water and livestock... Then whatever's left in 5g buckets. I'm worried about it losing temp on the way home.... It will be riding in the back of the truck, not the fish of course lol. This is hard!

AndrewsPistol said:
Yea, it's a daunting task! I don't have my ro system set up yet or the drum to make water in. I'm gonna have to somehow, someway find a way to transport 100% of the water. I could go get some salt and try to mix up some because I'm sure I won't be able to get "all" of it... I was thinking about getting some garbage cans and filing one with water and rock, one water and sand and one water and livestock... Then whatever's left in 5g buckets. I'm worried about it losing temp on the way home.... It will be riding in the back of the truck, not the fish of course lol. This is hard!

Sounds like you know what to do already.. I had to transport all my water to my new place the beginning of this month when I moved and it SUCKED lol but it all went well... It's more or less your just gonna have to bite the bullet and except that you may lose some things in the move but you do sound like you have a solid plan : / ....also sorry for the huge pause I actually had to work at work today lmao

Mrc8858 said:
Sounds like you know what to do already.. I had to transport all my water to my new place the beginning of this month when I moved and it SUCKED lol but it all went well... It's more or less your just gonna have to bite the bullet and except that you may lose some things in the move but you do sound like you have a solid plan : / ....also sorry for the huge pause I actually had to work at work today lmao

Ok, that's what I'll do then! I'm just nervous because I don't have ANYTHING. No testing supplies, no back up water... Ahhh! I can't beat the deal tho. The tank and stand alone are worth what I'm paying for it. I'm a little nervous in te conditions. She couldn't tell me any parameters... Not even salinity. Nothing about the stock but noticed a tang in the picture. The worst part is after paying bills I won't have any extra money to buy anything should something go wrong :/ should I worry about a nitrate spike from moving everything around??? I have some sand and cc here from when I bought the 150... Should I use some to try to make up for any lost water until I can get the supplies to make water?? Ahhh I'm kinda freaking out lol!

How long has the tank been running? The longer its been running the worse the spike will be when it gets stirred up in most cases. I'm kinda confused though lol Are you buying a running tank and bringing it home? Thought you were moving lol. Are you dead set on keeping the livestock? Could you possibly buy it all, take the livestock to your lfs for store credit, and just keep the equipment. Then you could set it up with out all the headaches and maybe have a healthy credit amount waiting for you at the store.

Mrc8858 said:
How long has the tank been running? The longer its been running the worse the spike will be when it gets stirred up in most cases. I'm kinda confused though lol Are you buying a running tank and bringing it home? Thought you were moving lol. Are you dead set on keeping the livestock? Could you possibly buy it all, take the livestock to your lfs for store credit, and just keep the equipment. Then you could set it up with out all the headaches and maybe have a healthy credit amount waiting for you at the store.

Yep, buying someone's running tank. Lol. I have a serious problem with collecting tanks haha. And I'm still moving so ill be moving it again. No I am not attached to anything really, I'm not even sure what it all is... I would like to attempt to keep the system alive tho. I might be able to work out something with the place that buys my fry. It's 2.5 hours away tho and I probably won't be able to breakdown the tank, set it up and then drive there. I have more free time next week. The only things making this so difficult is the fact that I have to work everyday @ 4 pm everyday till Tuesday and everything needs to be accomplished by then while still allowing me time to get ready for work... And this person says it needs to be gone by Saturday. I'm buying this for $90.

I have no idea how long it's been running, I know for sure at least 4 months because they contacted me 4 months ago about buying it when they wanted $450 for it.

AndrewsPistol said:
Yep, buying someone's running tank. Lol. I have a serious problem with collecting tanks haha. And I'm still moving so ill be moving it again. No I am not attached to anything really, I'm not even sure what it all is... I would like to attempt to keep the system alive tho. I might be able to work out something with the place that buys my fry. It's 2.5 hours away tho and I probably won't be able to breakdown the tank, set it up and then drive there. I have more free time next week. The only things making this so difficult is the fact that I have to work everyday @ 4 pm everyday till Tuesday and everything needs to be accomplished by then while still allowing me time to get ready for work... And this person says it needs to be gone by Saturday. I'm buying this for $90.

I have no idea how long it's been running, I know for sure at least 4 months because they contacted me 4 months ago about buying it when they wanted $450 for it.

For $90 just do it! The tank all by itself is worth that basically lol

Mrc8858 said:
For $90 just do it! The tank all by itself is worth that basically lol

That's what I'm thinkin lol. Incredible deal that I can't pass up! I just want to be prepared... I'm praying that it comes with a test kit and salt.... And that I can haul all the water so I can get it runnin when I get it back here! Gotta figure out this ro machine and get a drum to make water in.... This is going fast haha.

Do you think it's within my best interest to go to the lfs and pick up some premixed water before work tomorrow since I don't have any made up.... Just in case??

Couldn't you call and ask if they have some salt first with the tank? Lol

Mrc8858 said:
Couldn't you call and ask if they have some salt first with the tank? Lol

Don't ya gotta mix it and wait some hours? Lol. I thought I read that somewhere?! In afraid ill lose too much water to get it running. In a paranoid person haha.

Well when I moved I siphoned out like 20 gallons of tank water before disturbing the tank. Then when I pulled my rock out I put that into buckets of water. The livestock when into a Styrofoam box and when I got to the new home I put everything into a Rubbermaid with a heater and powerhead while I finish setting up the tank. To give you an idea I had a coral out of water for 4-5 hours and its still alive, the rest of my corals in Tupperware containers for 4-5 hours and my rock fish and inverts in the Rubbermaid for 4-5 hours and had no losses except for my mandarin but that was a not enough pod problem :( ..dont forget that a lot of this stuff has already made it thru atleast one 2 day mailing in a dark box so they are much hardier then many people believe :)

Mrc8858 said:
Well when I moved I siphoned out like 20 gallons of tank water before disturbing the tank. Then when I pulled my rock out I put that into buckets of water. The livestock when into a Styrofoam box and when I got to the new home I put everything into a Rubbermaid with a heater and powerhead while I finish setting up the tank. To give you an idea I had a coral out of water for 4-5 hours and its still alive, the rest of my corals in Tupperware containers for 4-5 hours and my rock fish and inverts in the Rubbermaid for 4-5 hours and had no losses except for my mandarin but that was a not enough pod problem :( ..dot forget that a lot of this stuff has already made it thru atleast one 2 day mailing in a dark box so they are much hardier then many people believe :)

That's a great idea! I wish I had a syphon with a sock on the end to catch debris... I rigged a garden hose to make a DIY wc'er for my cichlids... Wonder if I can put a filter sock kn the end to catch all the fish poop while breaking it down so my trAtes don't explode when I get it all set up again.

That's a great idea! I wish I had a syphon with a sock on the end to catch debris... I rigged a garden hose to make a DIY wc'er for my cichlids... Wonder if I can put a filter sock kn the end to catch all the fish poop while breaking it down so my trAtes don't explode when I get it all set up again.

I use cheap panty hose and have them on all of my return lines.

Back
Top Bottom