Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #171
Aquarium Advice Addict

You know what to do then. its a bit of work but build your own stand for your tank and run two different tanks for your filtration (one your sump the other your refugium) so when you build the stand you can build a viewing area like a double tank stand for the refugium where you can house your inverts that you can't keep with your puffer. This will give you your whole stock list viewable while still being one system.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:46 PM   #172
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'll just add something here .keeping hermits with a puffer is not bad. I actually keep hermits and snails with mine and they make a great snack and trim the puffers beak down. Also they are good for tuskfish and trigger teeth as well. I just replace them as needed. Shrimp are a different story. They don't last a minute .

^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #173
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858
You know what to do then. its a bit of work but build your own stand for your tank and run two different tanks for your filtration (one your sump the other your refugium) so when you build the stand you can build a viewing area like a double tank stand for the refugium where you can house your inverts that you can't keep with your puffer. This will give you your whole stock list viewable while still being one system.

Omg! GENIUS! I must make that happen!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondatek
I'll just add something here .keeping hermits with a puffer is not bad. I actually keep hermits and snails with mine and they make a great snack and trim the puffers beak down. Also they are good for tuskfish and trigger teeth as well. I just replace them as needed. Shrimp are a different story. They don't last a minute .
Oh, I know they are good for them lol, just don't wanna get them because I like them and they get snacked haha! I do plan on having hermits & snails no matter what and ill do the same as you and replace them if they come up MIA lol.

Soooo help me stock this thing... How does a puffer, harlequin tusk, Foxface, pair of clowns and some sort of tang? Bristletooth maybe?? Does that start pushing my limit??? Idk how many I could keep comfortably with sw. I'm building the same size African Cichlid tank and I can put alooooooot of em in a 150! lol. I reallllly want a blenny and gobies... Can I keep them with the other fish???
Old 10-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #174
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If your going with the porc I must warn you . Some will absolutely not accept tankmates and kill anything that comes in. Others are ok. Also having a porcupine comes with a very big bio load. I would say the puffer and 2 other big fish max. So puffer , tusk , foxface or tang. Then maybe 2 more small fish. Personally I have my puff and 3 other big fish . Also you will need a skimmer rated for almost 300 gallons if you want to keep the parameters in check with a puffer and other predators . if possible look into an algae scrubber for some great nitrate reduction.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Old 10-03-2012, 11:29 PM   #175
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
If your going with the porc I must warn you . Some will absolutely not accept tankmates and kill anything that comes in. Others are ok. Also having a porcupine comes with a very big bio load. I would say the puffer and 2 other big fish max. So puffer , tusk , foxface or tang. Then maybe 2 more small fish. Personally I have my puff and 3 other big fish . Also you will need a skimmer rated for almost 300 gallons if you want to keep the parameters in check with a puffer and other predators . if possible look into an algae scrubber for some great nitrate reduction.
K, I'm down to do some serious tank maintenance, I already do for my Africans. I change water every 3 days. I might have to have a Foxface over a tang. So what about getting a baby puffer... You think if they were raised together it will go smoothly?? The one at the lfs had tons if cool tank mates
Old 10-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #176
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ok cool i know you take care of your fish. The reason I suggest beefy filtration like the huge skimmer and the scrubber is that salt can get expensive and these will save you money in salt .As far as the getting a baby puff it still just depends on the individual fish . Even a baby puffer can do serious damage to another fish. Would it be better if all the fish were almost babies ? I think so but it still comes down that individual fish.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Old 10-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #177
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ok cool i know you take care of your fish. The reason I suggest beefy filtration like the huge skimmer and the scrubber is that salt can get expensive and these will save you money in salt .As far as the getting a baby puff it still just depends on the individual fish . Even a baby puffer can do serious damage to another fish. Would it be better if all the fish were almost babies ? I think so but it still comes down that individual fish.
+1 spot on and I would emphasize on the price of water changes.. 200 gallons of water will cost you about $70-$90 if you buy buckets.. go with the smaller boxes or bags and it can add up REALLY fast.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #178
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858

+1 spot on and I would emphasize on the price of water changes.. 200 gallons of water will cost you about $70-$90 if you buy buckets.. go with the smaller boxes or bags and it can add up REALLY fast.
Omgggggg! That's outrageous! I guess I didn't think about that too much... Right now my water changes are pretty much free lol well I guess the prime I dose is the most expensive haha! I have a well here so I'm making my first big equipment purchase tomorrow... Ro/di unit or skimmer???
Old 10-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #179
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Skimmer so you can start building your sump around it. Ask questions about it before you purchase one . Some are just junk.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Old 10-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #180
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Skimmer so you can start building your sump around it. Ask questions about it before you purchase one . Some are just junk.
Ok thanks! I was looking at them last night, they get super expensive!! :/ What do ya recommend???

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com