Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #251
Aquarium Advice Addict

Finally got the little bugger to sit somewhat still for a nano second to get a pic haha! I have mushrooms popping up everywhere! I'm worried because since I have the scape set up different than the sellers alot of them aren't getting any light... Would it be wise to not worry about it until I get the system stable? I really like them but I'm not sure if I like them enough to stress the fish with a rescape so soon, they have only been here since Saturday... I can buy more mushrooms in the future. Also what is the best temp? I'm sorry I'm a super noob to sw! I have them @ 78. I also have an aptasia (sp?) outbreak... And it is EVERYWHERE! I even have it on my glass!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-259710661.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	128307  

Old 10-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #252
Aquarium Advice Addict

One more thing... I'm concerned the water isn't being oxygenated enough, I don't have much surface agitation.... I've tried positioning the return to break the surface more, but I just can't get it to bend that way...

Old 10-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #253
Aquarium Advice Addict

78 is perfect. The mushrooms don't worry about they will grow back with a vengeance lol. Is the tank using a HOB overflow? And the reading your getting is expected after moving a tank with little prior maintenance. It doesn't look like it has much flow in it wither which would contribute to the built up debris/nutrients. How much gph do you currently have in the tank?
Old 10-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #254
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsPistol
One more thing... I'm concerned the water isn't being oxygenated enough, I don't have much surface agitation.... I've tried positioning the return to break the surface more, but I just can't get it to bend that way...
You'll want another pump blowing towards the surface. Is there only one circulation pump in the tank?
Old 10-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #255
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858

You'll want another pump blowing towards the surface. Is there only one circulation pump in the tank?
The tank is drilled on the back then PVC brings water to the sump, then the return line is hung on the back, i don't know the technical jargon haha! They didn't have any powerheads in it so I took one out of the African Cichlid tank and put it in, I kinda need it to mix water so I will buy another one Thursday (payday!) the heater can't really keep up with the tank either... It's maxed out and is constantly running.... Can I put it in my sump? My sump is kinda small... The one for my Africans that I'm building is 2 or 3x bigger....also they didn't have any filter floss in the sump the water flowed over bio balls. I packed the first drawer full of media but I need to clean this sump. I worried about emptying it when I got it in fear of a mini cycle so I left it in tact.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #256
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is some pics of the plumbing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2553900925.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	128319   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-180004944.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	128320  

Name:	image-3495590488.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	128321   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2540542275.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	128322  

Old 10-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #257
Aquarium Advice Addict

You'll want 4500 gph in your tank for softies 7500 for sps dominant and somewhere inbetween for a mixed reef. Also, for a tank in this situation I would break the cleaning down into biweekly events (the big stuff not normal maintenance) to keep from any major spikes. Like one 2 week period clean the rocks then part of the sand then the sump and then some more sand to really spread it out. Rushing in SW 99% of the time leads to trouble lol
Old 10-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #258
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsPistol
Here is some pics of the plumbing.
And I'm not too sure in the gph now that I swapped out the pumps.... Unless its the same regardless? The old pump is a rio 2100, the pump that's in it now that is originally for the 150 doesn't say anything... I'm not too sure it's even made for aquariums and I have to reduce the flow on the return with the ball valve because it pushes some serious water...
Old 10-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #259
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858
You'll want 4500 gph in your tank for softies 7500 for sps dominant and somewhere inbetween for a mixed reef. Also, for a tank in this situation I would break the cleaning down into biweekly events (the big stuff not normal maintenance) to keep from any major spikes. Like one 2 week period clean the rocks then part of the sand then the sump and then some more sand to really spread it out. Rushing in SW 99% of the time leads to trouble lol
Gotcha... The glass is horrid. That's my first priority... I don't mind some of the rocks... But I'd eventually like to totally replace the majority. I basically have a bunch of coral skeletons.... Not very appealing to me! So glass, sand & sump is what I will be putting more focus into thank you so much for your help! I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed! I worry the starfish isn't eating and this blue fish has some funk on its face... Do you know what that black fish is? Would it be too soon to get something that eats aptasia? I read there are shrimps for that... It's everywhere how often should I feed these guys and what should my light schedule look like??
Old 10-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #260
Aquarium Advice Addict

If its just mushrooms in the tank I would back your lighting off to just a few hours a day to battles some algae an things like that which will begin developing. Peppermint shrimp eat SMALL aiptasia and even then are hit and miss for the small ones. There is a type of butterfly that eats aiptasia (can't remember wish one).

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com