Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
scottayy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,499
The bigger the better! Really, 29g is still considered a nano but you'll be able to keep lots more stuff and have more stable parameters. The only thing that's really going to be the budget factor between a 5 gallon and a 29 gallon is the lights. It's a lot more expensive to light a 29g for corals than a 5g. Craigslist would be your friend, though.

Good luck! The best learning is through trial and error and I hope it's not an expensive learning experience! lol
__________________

scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Jess1ca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northern Michigan
Posts: 2,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottayy
The bigger the better! Really, 29g is still considered a nano but you'll be able to keep lots more stuff and have more stable parameters. The only thing that's really going to be the budget factor between a 5 gallon and a 29 gallon is the lights. It's a lot more expensive to light a 29g for corals than a 5g. Craigslist would be your friend, though.

Good luck! The best learning is through trial and error and I hope it's not an expensive learning experience! lol
Trust me, after I seen this guy today I really wanted to go big! Lol! Thanks tho, I'm hoping it will all turn out good! I'm gonna search the forum or google some DIY lighting. I realllllllly want coral! Especially nems so pretty! My thoughts are if I can maintain something small then I will gain the confidence to go really big! Especially since I will have an empty 55g soon (which I'm really up in the air with what I'm gonna do with) since I just got a new 150 off CL an will be moving my African Cichlids over too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3806809849.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	118672   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1233747672.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	118673  

__________________

__________________
Knowledge is power
Jess1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrc8858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 5,834
Use the new 20 as a sump/fuge which would bring you up to 49 gallons of space which would make parameters much easier, hide a lot of equipment, and provide a refugium for nutrient export/ pod breeding.
__________________
Mrc8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:35 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Jess1ca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northern Michigan
Posts: 2,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858
Use the new 20 as a sump/fuge which would bring you up to 49 gallons of space which would make parameters much easier, hide a lot of equipment, and provide a refugium for nutrient export/ pod breeding.
How do I do that? Idk where I would put the sump?! I was thinking about having the tank on a dresser in my room... No where to really hide a 20L lol.
__________________
Knowledge is power
Jess1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:51 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrc8858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 5,834
You would have to either put it inside the stand (building your own stand helps alot) or you can place it next to and lower then the display tank but then it becomes a bit of an eye sore for most.
__________________
Mrc8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Jess1ca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northern Michigan
Posts: 2,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858
You would have to either put it inside the stand (building your own stand helps alot) or you can place it next to and lower then the display tank but then it becomes a bit of an eye sore for most.
Right on, yea idk how good I am at building things lol.
__________________
Knowledge is power
Jess1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:55 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrc8858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 5,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsPistol

Right on, yea idk how good I am at building things lol.
It's essentially just a box lol doesn't have to be fancy just something to hold two tanks while hiding one of them
__________________
Mrc8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:53 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
scottayy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,499
Lol, take a hammer and bust out the bottom two drawers in the dresser and drill some holes through the back.

whatever it takes right!
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Jess1ca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northern Michigan
Posts: 2,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottayy
Lol, take a hammer and bust out the bottom two drawers in the dresser and drill some holes through the back.

whatever it takes right!
Now that sounds like a better idea haha! Not too mention fun! Lol, most definitely doable!
__________________
Knowledge is power
Jess1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
GuyeWinfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Merritt Island, FL
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsPistol

Now that sounds like a better idea haha! Not too mention fun! Lol, most definitely doable!
Doooo it!!!!
__________________

__________________
GuyeWinfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.