Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #351
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsPistol
Did a wc this morning... Waited 2 hours and retested salinity. I'm at 1.028?! Idk how it got that high... How do I bring it down? I don't have any water made... Will they be ok till tomorrow?
I would think it'd be ok... Can you go to the LFS and buy some RODI water? You just need to add unsalty water.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #352
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs

I would think it'd be ok... Can you go to the LFS and buy some RODI water? You just need to add unsalty water.
No LFS for 30 miles around :/ and I have to work today so time is my problem

Could probably go to the grocery store tho

I have it filled to it max so just remove a couple gallons and then add fresh back??

Old 11-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #353
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

No LFS for 30 miles around :/ and I have to work today so time is my problem

Could probably go to the grocery store tho

I have it filled to it max so just remove a couple gallons and then add fresh back??
Yep! That's what I would do! I would add 1 gal at a time and then test. I don't know how much it will take to lower the salinity to where you want it. (Where do you want it? I keep mine at 1.025)
Old 11-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #354
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Yep! That's what I would do! I would add 1 gal at a time and then test. I don't know how much it will take to lower the salinity to where you want it. (Where do you want it? I keep mine at 1.025)
I was aiming for 1.025 because I read that hydrometers are inaccurate so I figure if its off by 1 ( +\-) then that gives me some wiggle room I really need a refractometer!

Hopefully my son will cooperate with me after his nap so I can go to the grocery store! If now it will have to wait till I get outta work
Old 11-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #355
Aquarium Advice Addict

On a good note I nuked all the Aiptasia this morning so for the time being I am Aiptasia free! Yay! The directions claim they "implode" I think they should change that to "melt" haha! Def not as fun as I thought it woulda been!

And my feather duster is either dead or flew the coop... Poor lil fella!
Old 11-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #356
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I was aiming for 1.025 because I read that hydrometers are inaccurate so I figure if its off by 1 ( +\-) then that gives me some wiggle room I really need a refractometer!

Hopefully my son will cooperate with me after his nap so I can go to the grocery store! If now it will have to wait till I get outta work
Tell him you'll buy him a candy! It's so frustrating when they don't cooperate. Nothing like them screaming the whole time your in the store... How old is he? When I get gallons of water from the grocery store I let my kids push the button that fills the jugs. They have races. Makes it fun for them. And the bakery department at my store gives the kids a free cookie, and it is also by the water filling station. So I get away without having to buy candy. LOL!

I keep mine at 1.025 also since I use a hydrometer.

Did you make sure there wasn't an air bubble stuck to the hydrometer lever? Also you rinse it really good before and after in fresh water? One time I didn't rinse mine very well so the lever was a little stuck from dried salt. The reading was way off. Rinsed it really well and voila- it worked right again. I always bang it down on the table to make sure there aren't any bubbles in it.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #357
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Tell him you'll buy him a candy! It's so frustrating when they don't cooperate. Nothing like them screaming the whole time your in the store... How old is he? When I get gallons of water from the grocery store I let my kids push the button that fills the jugs. They have races. Makes it fun for them. And the bakery department at my store gives the kids a free cookie, and it is also by the water filling station. So I get away without having to buy candy. LOL!

I keep mine at 1.025 also since I use a hydrometer.

Did you make sure there wasn't an air bubble stuck to the hydrometer lever? Also you rinse it really good before and after in fresh water? One time I didn't rinse mine very well so the lever was a little stuck from dried salt. The reading was way off. Rinsed it really well and voila- it worked right again. I always bang it down on the table to make sure there aren't any bubbles in it.
He just turned 2 I try with the candy but that's not enough to get him out of the house, once we are in the car he wants the candy lol!

No, I've never rinsed it! I will do that now and retest. I had another cloudy mix I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong... The first time I mixed the water using store bought water it was clear & perfect, the last 2 times I used my RO/DI unit and the water comes out super cloudy with a residue on the sides if the garbage can I bought to hold my water.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #358
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rinse and test! Let me know the results. Also- im no help with the cloudy water mixing since I started buying the boxed natural seawater. When I mixed water with reef crystals it seemed like it never dissolved completely. I don't know, it was weird. I'd let it mix for 24-36 hours...
Old 11-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #359
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Rinse and test! Let me know the results. Also- im no help with the cloudy water mixing since I started buying the boxed natural seawater. When I mixed water with reef crystals it seemed like it never dissolved completely. I don't know, it was weird. I'd let it mix for 24-36 hours...
Yea I put a powerheads and airstone in it for about 28 hours or so?

This is after it set for about 2 min the needle was moving that whole time and settled in this... Do I trust it??? I'm so worried I'm gonna accidentally kill something.. This is a whole new world!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1254880898.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	130311  
Old 11-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #360
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs View Post
If the tank holds an actual 70 gallons of water and the current sg is 1.028, and you want to get it down to 1.025 (and I did the math right), you would need to remove 7.5 gallons of water and replace with fresh. That shouldn't hurt any fish so long as there is no temp bounce, but it would be really tough on inverts to do all at once.

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com