Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #361
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutrag

If the tank holds an actual 70 gallons of water and the current sg is 1.028, and you want to get it down to 1.025 (and I did the math right), you would need to remove 7.5 gallons of water and replace with fresh. That shouldn't hurt any fish so long as there is no temp bounce, but it would be really tough on inverts to do all at once.
Well the new reading is at 1.026. I don't trust my hydrometer now lol. Maybe it needed a good rinse?! Gonna have to get into another group but and invest in a refractometer for piece of mind I have a starfish, urchin & Banded Coral Shrimp so I don't want to lose them... And check this out... Located my Duster... What the heck is it doing? Finding a new spot to live or dying? It's not in its tube and I'm afraid the hermit is definitely gonna get it now... It picked a horrible spot if its trying to move!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3139056662.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	130313  

Old 11-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #362
Aquarium Advice Addict

With a swing arm hydrometer, make sure you tap the whole thing a couple of times to make sure there are no air bubbles stuck to the arm making it float artificially high. Also, try to rinse it with RODI or distilled so no scale builds up on it which can impede the movement of the arm or weight it back down. Hydrometers are also sensitive to temperature. Two minutes should be enough for it to equalize itself, but it will read higher with cold water than with warm, all other things being equal.

As far as the water being cloudy after mixing, it sounds like the salt might not be getting completely dissolved. If you pour the somewhat mixed water into the tank, it will eventually dissolve, and that could be raising the sg over time. Your mixing technique (28 hours with a powerhead) sound sufficient, unless there is a dead area in the mixing container where salt is settling. I mix mine with a powerhead in a five gallon bucket, and sometimes right under the powerhead I get some settling. I just move the powerhead around a couple of times to help get it stirred up. I am fortunate that I have my own RODI at home, but this feeds from the cold line. This time of year (and into winter), it's much harder to get the salt dissolved than in summer and spring.

Sometimes you just get a not so good batch of salt. I seem to remeber reading earlier that you had some salt that was pretty clumpy? I suppose it's also possible that some of the salts in the mix kind of bonded to each other which could affect how wel they dissolve as well.

Good luck!

Old 11-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #363
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutrag
With a swing arm hydrometer, make sure you tap the whole thing a couple of times to make sure there are no air bubbles stuck to the arm making it float artificially high. Also, try to rinse it with RODI or distilled so no scale builds up on it which can impede the movement of the arm or weight it back down. Hydrometers are also sensitive to temperature. Two minutes should be enough for it to equalize itself, but it will read higher with cold water than with warm, all other things being equal.

As far as the water being cloudy after mixing, it sounds like the salt might not be getting completely dissolved. If you pour the somewhat mixed water into the tank, it will eventually dissolve, and that could be raising the sg over time. Your mixing technique (28 hours with a powerhead) sound sufficient, unless there is a dead area in the mixing container where salt is settling. I mix mine with a powerhead in a five gallon bucket, and sometimes right under the powerhead I get some settling. I just move the powerhead around a couple of times to help get it stirred up. I am fortunate that I have my own RODI at home, but this feeds from the cold line. This time of year (and into winter), it's much harder to get the salt dissolved than in summer and spring.

Sometimes you just get a not so good batch of salt. I seem to remeber reading earlier that you had some salt that was pretty clumpy? I suppose it's also possible that some of the salts in the mix kind of bonded to each other which could affect how wel they dissolve as well.

Good luck!
Thanks! I'm thinking about adding another powerhead to the water storage can & see what happens....

I since bought a new bag because I wasn't sure about that one with all the clumps so the second cloudy mix was out of a fresh bag of salt. Maybe ill make a new mix once my rodi gives me more water and ill let the powerhead run a couple days to see if that helps any
Old 11-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #364
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsPistol

Well the new reading is at 1.026. I don't trust my hydrometer now lol. Maybe it needed a good rinse?! Gonna have to get into another group but and invest in a refractometer for piece of mind I have a starfish, urchin & Banded Coral Shrimp so I don't want to lose them... And check this out... Located my Duster... What the heck is it doing? Finding a new spot to live or dying? It's not in its tube and I'm afraid the hermit is definitely gonna get it now... It picked a horrible spot if its trying to move!
I test my water 3 or 4 times in a row to make sure I'm getting somewhat of the same reading. LOL! Hydrometer a are a pain in the booty.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #365
Aquarium Advice Addict

How are you adding the salt to the water when you make your mix? Add the salt slowly like over 5-10 minutes next time.. I still think your dealing with snow storm more then undissolved salt. If to much salt is added at once it'll create super high salinity spots for even a few seconds which can cause the calcium to become calcium carbonate leaving you that nasty silt.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #366
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858
How are you adding the salt to the water when you make your mix? Add the salt slowly like over 5-10 minutes next time.. I still think your dealing with snow storm more then undissolved salt. If to much salt is added at once it'll create super high salinity spots for even a few seconds which can cause the calcium to become calcium carbonate leaving you that nasty silt.
That makes sense! I'm dumping it all in at once. Ill start doing it slowly & hopefully it cures the problem
Old 11-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #367
Aquarium Advice Addict

Snow storm! That's what I was getting in my salt mixes. I just dumped it in all at once. That explains a lot.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #368
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you ever begin dosing later down the line the same thing can happen when dosing your alkalinity.. if its raised to high or to quickly it'll cause the same effect in your tank just for a heads up
Old 11-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #369
Aquarium Advice Addict

So just curious... That Xenia I bought is doing fantastic! Now I don't know much about my light but if its enough to support the Xenia what else can I get that needs the same amount of light?

Also I have something nipping the Xenia... Grrrr! I'm blaming my rabbit fish... He's lucky I like him haha!!
Old 11-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #370
Aquarium Advice Addict

Xenia is probably the worst coral to base your light intensity on lol. I have some in the shade on the sand and some literally breaking the surface under my 6 bulb tek elite which is only like 5" off the water
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121107_182808.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	130360   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121107_182847.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	130361  

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com