Thinking of trying my hand at Saltwater.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Minkota said:
The black part is the bulkhead adapter, they are fairly inexpensive (about $3-$5 depending on the size) then just buy PVC at your local hardware store.

Ohhh so it's commonly found... So how do I get it off??? I'll have to break it off. How do you suggest I go about it? It is glued on with something strong.... I'm trying to get te PVC off to take to the hardware to get new!

AndrewsPistol said:
Ohhh so it's commonly found... So how do I get it off??? I'll have to break it off. How do you suggest I go about it? It is glued on with something strong....

It will unscrew from the bottom side. It should only be about hand tight maybe a little tighter if you tighten them too much it will crack the glass/acrylic bulkhead

Also, check out Mr saltwater tv website and his YouTube videos. He has a lot of helpful info for first timers http://www.mrsaltwatertank.com/

I just noticed yours will unthread from the top. You will have to cut the pipe just above the black part (if its glued in) and then unscrew the black nut

The previous owner may have siliconed it in which I've seen some people do and is a major headache : /

I have been trying to unscrew it every single day lol... Pretty much every time I walk by it!!! I'm pretty sure it is siliconed in... I'm gonna make a pot of coffee and try some more... Headache is the perfect description haha!!! I really can't do anything until I get it squared away... I guess I could work on the sump, it just annoys me I can't get it off lol!

I have hear of people using rubbing alcohol to soften the silicone, you could try that. If the used PVC cement you will probably have to cut the pipe then unscrew the bulkhead adapter. Either way anything you do should be done gently so as not to crack the glass

Minkota said:
I have hear of people using rubbing alcohol to soften the silicone, you could try that. If the used PVC cement you will probably have to cut the pipe then unscrew the bulkhead adapter. Either way anything you do should be done gently so as not to crack the glass

I am so nervous!!! I would be so mad at myself if I broke it!

Minkota said:

+1.. if it were me I would just leave all that there as long as its not cracked or leaking.. probably a better chance of doing bad then good replacing it if its that tough. Just replace the rest of the pvc

Just curious, did you see the system up and running prior to purchase? If not I would set it up outside and fill it with water to check for leaks before you spend a lot of time and money on something that has a bad seal.

Mrc8858 said:
+1.. if it were me I would just leave all that there as long as its not cracked or leaking.. probably a better chance of doing bad then good replacing it if its that tough. Just replace the rest of the pvc

So how do I patch up the cracked PVC???? Cement?? Will that hold in the long term??

Minkota said:
Just curious, did you see the system up and running prior to purchase? If not I would set it up outside and fill it with water to check for leaks before you spend a lot of time and money on something that has a bad seal.

I did not but I did see the one they swapped it out for, they took everything out and put it in a 6ft bow front. The most beautiful reef I have EVER seen! I do plan on testing it... I'm moving here soon and my thought were to leave it outside and test the seals before bringing it it. All the seals look immaculate tho.

Sounds like a 155bf which I can't seem to find one anywhere near me :'( if its cracked though then you'll need to replace it.

Mrc8858 said:
Sounds like a 155bf which I can't seem to find one anywhere near me :'( if its cracked though then you'll need to replace it.

Cracked right here

And a pic of what it's supposed to be like.

Attachments

• image-3984256844.jpg
    image-3984256844.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 92
  • image-3558023212.jpg
    image-3558023212.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 97
Oh, well ya I'd replace all that I meant leave the bulkhead.

Mrc8858 said:
Are you trying to remove it piece by piece or as a whole?

Well I've tried both strategies... Nothing is working lol... If I can get the black thing or bulkhead things would go a lot smoother!

You might be able remove the whole thing directly from the bulkhead.. imo the lines should never be more then hand tightened to avoid cracking the glass during any maintenance.

AndrewsPistol said:
So how do I patch up the cracked PVC???? Cement??

Personally if it were me, since it is torn down, I would replace all the plumbing and plumb it correctly for your set-up. It may take a little mor time and money but you will be glad you did.

I would buy/borrow a PVC cutter (looks like a big pair of scissors) and cut the old pipe these will cut it with the least amount of movement of the pipe and less chance of cracking the glass. Then gently unscrew the bulkhead adapter and replace all with new. If you are not comfortable doing it maybe you could find someone to lend a hand to limit the chance of damage.

jetajockey said:
Im surprised the bulkhead isn't easier to get off. At the most I've used a couple of wrenches on each side of the bulkhead to loosen it up.

That's what I'm sayin! What a pain! It is most definitely secured with something... In sitting in front if it giving it hell right now. But I can't hold and twist both ends so maybe ill try with help later... I can't even get a wiggle out of it tho....

Minkota said:
Personally if it were me, since it is torn down, I would replace all the plumbing and plumb it correctly for your set-up. It may take a little mor time and money but you will be glad you did.

I would buy/borrow a PVC cutter (looks like a big pair of scissors) and cut the old pipe these will cut it with the least amount of movement of the pipe and less chance of cracking the glass. Then gently unscrew the bulkhead adapter and replace all with new. If you are not comfortable doing it maybe you could find someone to lend a hand to limit the chance of damage.

I'm not very comfortable but I'm the only one with the slightest idea what's goin in within 2 hours of me.... New PVC is a must for me especially since I plan on painting it to match my background... Which I've noticed blue to be the color of choice?! Painting is safe right??? Like in a fw setup?

Back
Top Bottom