Thinking of trying my hand at Saltwater.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AndrewsPistol said:
Ohhh gotcha! Makin tons more sense! Thank you! And apologize for sounding so clueless... Well because I am lol!so basically I want the bottom of my teeth to be my water line? So I may need the spacer things... Correct?

The bottom of the teeth will be the water line when NOT running unless your return is lower which it would cause a back siphon to its height. While water is flowing though it will usually be about a half inch to an inch higher then the bottom of the teeth usually the top of them

Ohhh gotcha! Makin tons more sense! Thank you! And apologize for sounding so clueless... Well because I am lol!so basically I want the bottom of my teeth to be my water line? So I may need the spacer things... Correct?

You are right. The bottom of the teeth will set your water level. Also, when you re-install it make sure that you silicone all edges so that water has to flow over the top and doesnt leak through the sides.

spoonman said:
You are right. The bottom of the teeth will set your water level. Also, when you re-install it make sure that you silicone all edges so that water has to flow over the top and doesnt leak through the sides.

Cool! I feel like I'm finally staring to understand the system! Yay! Thanks for the help!

Goin to the hardware store to get the stuff to repair the plumbing. Just to be clear I should bring in the cracked off piece and get an exact replica and based of what this says a connector?
spoonman said:
I would put a pvc connector on the piece that is in the bulkhead and replace the top half of you want to. You dont even have to glue the connector because it will be underwater anyway, it doesnt matter if that joint leaks. The only place you dont want leakage is the bulkhead itself (the black part). Anything inside the tank doesnt have to be glued. I would also put the black acrylic part back up when you are done and create a durso overflow setup.
Do I just ask for an extra "connector" lol or is there a specific name? I just reread that and realize it had potential to sound like a ridiculously stupid question but I'm a girl lol, I don't know much about plumbing :) I will need some type if glue too, correct????

AndrewsPistol said:
Goin to the hardware store to get the stuff to repair the plumbing. Just to be clear I should bring in the cracked off piece and get an exact replica and based of what this says a connector?
Do I just ask for an extra "connector" lol or is there a specific name? I just reread that and realize it had potential to sound like a ridiculously stupid question but I'm a girl lol, I don't know much about plumbing :) I will need some type if glue too, correct????

I would take the piece with you to be sure you get the correct size. By connector I think you mean "coupling" joins two pieces together with 0 angle

I normally do not glue the stand pipe in case I need to remove it if a small fish gets into the overflow box but if you feel the need to you can use PVC cement but I would suggest the "Clear" type so it looks a little better.

I normally do not glue the stand pipe in case I need to remove it if a small fish gets into the overflow box but if you feel the need to you can use PVC cement but I would suggest the "Clear" type so it looks a little better.

Ok, well I was thinking glue because it is broke... I was gonna glue it on... unless they come threaded?

Compiling a stock list, with a lil help from a friend :) even though I'm not even close to putting water in the tank lol. Wanna make sure everything will be kosher between the fish I choose, so the down town gives me an opportunity to fully research... And dang is it hard to pick fish! Sad news is the Porcupine Puffer, trigger, lionfish & harlequin tusk have all been removed from the list... SADFACE!

AndrewsPistol said:
Compiling a stock list, with a lil help from a friend :) even though I'm not even close to putting water in the tank lol. Wanna make sure everything will be kosher between the fish I choose, so the down town gives me an opportunity to fully research... And dang is it hard to pick fish! Sad news is the Porcupine Puffer, trigger, lionfish & harlequin tusk have all been removed from the list... SADFACE!

Picking a fish stock is the hardest thing to do imo...corals I can pack in as many as I want but finding that perfect balance of fish is very difficult. I'm 9 months in and haven't finished stocking my 46 gallon yet lol goodluck though and can't wait to see what you finally decide on :)

Mrc8858 said:
Picking a fish stock is the hardest thing to do imo...corals I can pack in as many as I want but finding that perfect balance of fish is very difficult. I'm 9 months in and haven't finished stocking my 46 gallon yet lol goodluck though and can't wait to see what you finally decide on :)

It is hard :/ all the ones I really like love to murder inverts. I'm not willing to not have inverts lol, so I have to vote against the fish. Sucks!!!

Yeah, picking out fish that will work in a particular size tank, that will get along without murdering each other, have a good range of colors and activity levels (and won't jump out in my case cuz I'm topless) is a definite challenge. Takes a lot of research. And I think everyone has had to give up on a fish they love cuz it won't work in their tank.

if i were you i would do a seahorse tank, i had a friend just sell his dwarf seahorse tank:eek: and i think i cried after he told me. lol
i actually do love how puffers swim, you can see it takes all their effort to turn and such.

Annakhil said:
if i were you i would do a seahorse tank, i had a friend just sell his dwarf seahorse tank:eek: and i think i cried after he told me. lol
i actually do love how puffers swim, you can see it takes all their effort to turn and such.

I fell in love with one at the lfs. She was 7 and the coolest fish ever! She kept rubbing her face across the glass following us back and forth lol, here is a picture of her :) I thought about seahorses but they say they are difficult to keep and I think a 150g with just seahorses might lack the "personality" I'm aiming for :)

Attachments

• image-1395452182.jpg
    image-1395452182.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 59
Back
Top Bottom