Thinking of trying my hand at Saltwater.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nu-Nu the eel said:
What do you love more.... Inverts... Or the puffer... Lol

The puffer! I'm getting one lol. Sooo the stock list will change once again lol so far I know I want the puffer, harlequin tusk and a trigger... What kind of trigger would you recommend? Also thinking about the bristle tooth tang... Unless you can think of a better one :)

Cool . I went back a few pages and never seen the dimensions lol. You will love your puffer. I just posted another video of mine today.

ok now im super jealous! i have not dipped into the saltwater tanks but remember as a kid my parents having huge sw tanks, with puffers and lion fish(not the same tank). moving across country will usually get alot of people out i guess.
trust me i already know where the sw tank will go in my house i just have to get up the gumption to do it!

Annakhil said:
ok now im super jealous! i have not dipped into the saltwater tanks but remember as a kid my parents having huge sw tanks, with puffers and lion fish(not the same tank). moving across country will usually get alot of people out i guess.
trust me i already know where the sw tank will go in my house i just have to get up the gumption to do it!

Caution, it's very addictive once you get. Into it.

i already know, i got my guy into it and now ever time my father comes over he comments on what his tanks use to be like and how i should change this or add that, i think i am getting him back into it.
maybe i can bribe him into paying for the sw tank as a "gift for his grandson"...:D

scottayy said:
So this is gonna be an agressive fish only tank.

I'm guessing so.... I can't really find invert safe fish that I love :/ I'm pretty much obsessed with puffers & triggers.... I could even scratch the puffer but then I couldn't make the Harlequin Tusk work either :( sooo many decisions!!!

You know what to do then. its a bit of work but build your own stand for your tank and run two different tanks for your filtration (one your sump the other your refugium) so when you build the stand you can build a viewing area like a double tank stand for the refugium where you can house your inverts that you can't keep with your puffer. This will give you your whole stock list viewable while still being one system.

I'll just add something here .keeping hermits with a puffer is not bad. I actually keep hermits and snails with mine and they make a great snack and trim the puffers beak down. Also they are good for tuskfish and trigger teeth as well. I just replace them as needed. Shrimp are a different story. They don't last a minute .

Mrc8858 said:
You know what to do then. its a bit of work but build your own stand for your tank and run two different tanks for your filtration (one your sump the other your refugium) so when you build the stand you can build a viewing area like a double tank stand for the refugium where you can house your inverts that you can't keep with your puffer. This will give you your whole stock list viewable while still being one system.

Omg! GENIUS! I must make that happen!!!!

Hondatek said:
I'll just add something here .keeping hermits with a puffer is not bad. I actually keep hermits and snails with mine and they make a great snack and trim the puffers beak down. Also they are good for tuskfish and trigger teeth as well. I just replace them as needed. Shrimp are a different story. They don't last a minute .

Oh, I know they are good for them lol, just don't wanna get them because I like them and they get snacked haha! I do plan on having hermits & snails no matter what and ill do the same as you and replace them if they come up MIA lol.

Soooo help me stock this thing... How does a puffer, harlequin tusk, Foxface, pair of clowns and some sort of tang? Bristletooth maybe?? Does that start pushing my limit??? Idk how many I could keep comfortably with sw. I'm building the same size African Cichlid tank and I can put alooooooot of em in a 150! lol. I reallllly want a blenny and gobies... Can I keep them with the other fish???

If your going with the porc I must warn you . Some will absolutely not accept tankmates and kill anything that comes in. Others are ok. Also having a porcupine comes with a very big bio load. I would say the puffer and 2 other big fish max. So puffer , tusk , foxface or tang. Then maybe 2 more small fish. Personally I have my puff and 3 other big fish . Also you will need a skimmer rated for almost 300 gallons if you want to keep the parameters in check with a puffer and other predators . if possible look into an algae scrubber for some great nitrate reduction.

Hondatek said:
If your going with the porc I must warn you . Some will absolutely not accept tankmates and kill anything that comes in. Others are ok. Also having a porcupine comes with a very big bio load. I would say the puffer and 2 other big fish max. So puffer , tusk , foxface or tang. Then maybe 2 more small fish. Personally I have my puff and 3 other big fish . Also you will need a skimmer rated for almost 300 gallons if you want to keep the parameters in check with a puffer and other predators . if possible look into an algae scrubber for some great nitrate reduction.

K, I'm down to do some serious tank maintenance, I already do for my Africans. I change water every 3 days. I might have to have a Foxface over a tang. So what about getting a baby puffer... You think if they were raised together it will go smoothly?? The one at the lfs had tons if cool tank mates :)

Ok cool i know you take care of your fish. The reason I suggest beefy filtration like the huge skimmer and the scrubber is that salt can get expensive and these will save you money in salt .As far as the getting a baby puff it still just depends on the individual fish . Even a baby puffer can do serious damage to another fish. Would it be better if all the fish were almost babies ? I think so but it still comes down that individual fish.

Hondatek said:
Ok cool i know you take care of your fish. The reason I suggest beefy filtration like the huge skimmer and the scrubber is that salt can get expensive and these will save you money in salt .As far as the getting a baby puff it still just depends on the individual fish . Even a baby puffer can do serious damage to another fish. Would it be better if all the fish were almost babies ? I think so but it still comes down that individual fish.

+1 spot on and I would emphasize on the price of water changes.. 200 gallons of water will cost you about $70-$90 if you buy buckets.. go with the smaller boxes or bags and it can add up REALLY fast.

Mrc8858 said:
+1 spot on and I would emphasize on the price of water changes.. 200 gallons of water will cost you about $70-$90 if you buy buckets.. go with the smaller boxes or bags and it can add up REALLY fast.

Omgggggg! That's outrageous! I guess I didn't think about that too much... Right now my water changes are pretty much free lol well I guess the prime I dose is the most expensive haha! I have a well here :) so I'm making my first big equipment purchase tomorrow... Ro/di unit or skimmer???

Skimmer so you can start building your sump around it. Ask questions about it before you purchase one . Some are just junk.

Hondatek said:
Skimmer so you can start building your sump around it. Ask questions about it before you purchase one . Some are just junk.

Ok :) thanks! I was looking at them last night, they get super expensive!! :/ What do ya recommend???

Back
Top Bottom