Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #1091
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nevermind, not my age.. 26 lol.

Good news, found out one of my hermit likes the occasional bryopsis. There wasn't any bryopsis on my zoa frag which had a lot of the stuff on it..

All of my sps are growing like crazy now.. Its exciting. Also, from now on I'm taking the coral of the frag when I buy it and I'm manually attaching it to my scape. It will look more natural IMO.

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #1092
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bought the 1" cube sticks and put the bottom and top of the frame together. It was 17.59 total for that part, I used nicer wood though. Wood was 4 36" pieces, and 4 10" pieces. Make sure you account for the width of the wood, my tank is actually 12" wide. I used wood glue to get it together and later I'll be putting it together with screws/nails (not sure yet, most likely screws).

Old 06-08-2012, 12:52 AM   #1093
Aquarium Advice Addict

Brad nails should mostly be all you need as long as the parts that are glued fit well. Good wood glue is amazingly strong. I also built my stand and hood myself. I only used a few brad nails and screws for the whole thing. Every project is different, though. Are you planning on painting the inside of the hood, too? I did like everybody else and went with white inside to reflect light and repel moisture.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:33 AM   #1094
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alright, I'll do brad nails, but since it's only 1", will it possibly split?

I'm going to prime the inside, so yes, it will be white.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #1095
Aquarium Advice Addict

Brad nails are used to connect thin pieces of wood, like moulding or cabinets. In the case of your hood you'll probably only need to use them for the top. You can always use screws for the inside rail that sits on the tank's rim. I could post some picks of the hood I made but it might be designed way different from yours.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #1096
Aquarium Advice Addict

We don't have any brad nails, but I'll probably buy some for the top, is it used to connect the plywood also?

The store called, they have my Midas Blenny! I'm not sure when I'll be getting it, but I definitely will be buying it. Just Dont know when because it's pretty far away.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #1097
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm off to a persons house who is selling me a few sps and giving me a Hollywood stunner.. Very excited.

I'm going to probably get the Midas Blenny in a week so I don't have to worry about aggression while I'm gone.

I finished nailing the canopy top and bottom, seems pretty sturdy. I added 1 1/2" nails instead of brad nails because we didn't have any. I'll probably add the corners in sometime soon do It can actually look like a canopy somewhat lol. Right now two rectangles isn't doing it for me. I'm sure it will look nice in the end though.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #1098
Aquarium Advice Addict

Got the corals!!! All sps

1 purple tip
1 bonsai
1 green slimer
1 big hollywood stunner
1 green tabling acro (I'm super excited about this one)

I'm about to explode with excitement on this buy... It was 30$ and all of these corals are going to be absolutely beautiful IMO. Im still in disbelief, I thought I was going to get like 2 corals or so, not 5, let alone 5 decently sized frags. Most were under halides and the chalice was under t5s. I'll be putting them all at the Sandbed tonight. I don't know where I'm going to put them lol. I can't wait to see the colors under my LEDs, I'm about to pee my pants in excitement or something lol. It's pretty ridiculous that I'm 15 and I'm just about as excited as a normal teenager who just found out he got a car. I think I've expressed how I feel pretty well now... Pics soon, probably next monday because I'll be gone for the weekend.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #1099
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Having to wait so long for pics is quite the tease. A tabling acro? Now it is my turn to be jealous. I really want to see that bonsai of yours too. Is it purple? I think I've only seen purple and blue.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:56 PM   #1100
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alright.. I'll definitely try to get them Tuesday, Im sure it's impossible tomorrow

Yep, tabling. I was ready to dance when I heard free. The bonsai is a deep purple with neon green polyps. I just saw the slimer under blues, it's the brightest greenish yellow I've ever seen, it even competes with the kryptonite candycane. I think he lives near you, I'll pm you the area..

Tags
build, build thread, fowlr, reef build, salt water tank, startup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com