Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #1121
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell View Post
I finished building it I'll be posting a pic or two and maybe a vid of it when I come home on Monday. Schools out!!
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! I checked out Vid 1 earlier for a couple minutes. Running out of time here LOL. I will finish watching them later. I love your rockwork and corals. Tank is looking Awesome.....oh I said that already still..........AWESOME lol

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #1122
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks buffy I could go on and on about the tank in the vids, gotta cut myself off a little faster lol!

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #1123
Aquarium Advice Addict

Came back today, the ato worked perfect, but there were problems with the tank. I had a lot of algae on the walls, which is really uncommon. Two of my corals have bleach marks, the bonsai and monti. The monti has a small patch of diatoms covering a piece of if, but I'm not worried because it has happened before and grew even faster after it had happened. The bonsai fell over at some point. The bottom of one branch does not look happy at all, I'm worried because it isn't a very hardy coral and I've heard the skeleton is porous, so supergluing the bleached part would be risky, as it could travel up the skeleton. I'm hoping it will heal up, it's such a pretty coral.

The other corals look fantastic. I am loving my Hollywood stunner, it's well, stunning. The purple tip has actually grown, which is very exciting, and the stylo birdnest is really encrusting the rock now. I'm thinking of fragging my seriatopora into a bunch of pieces and selling it to save a little bit more for a car, I already have some nice pieces (I might have already said this, or just serious djvu)

To anyone who might want to upgrade their tank a little bit, but nothing major.... GET AN AUTO TOPOFF!!! It's very nice
Old 06-19-2012, 11:19 PM   #1124
Aquarium Advice Addict

I saw this video a while ago, and was like, "wow, that's when you know your corals are happy"..... Guess what.. That just happened to my tabling Acro. It made me pretty happy, not gonna lie lol.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #1125
Aquarium Advice FINatic

When you look at any of his videos, and see that your corals look like his you will know that you are a doing everything right
Old 06-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #1126
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks

I can only hope my sps will color up like his. I'm happy the soli is doing this well though. The bonsai is a different story though.. Its bleached because when I was away for a weekend, it was bumped and fell on the sandbed. The one part is bleached completely but the other parts are coloring up nicely. It's a really pretty coral.

I recently bid for a red planet Acro, it's about 4" and 15$ was my offer. I really hope I get it, it will be my last coral for a long time.

I'm done with the skeleton of my canopy, looks pretty crappy lol. I'm going to skin it and hopefully it will look better then. I might have to toss it
Old 06-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #1127
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell
I'm done with the skeleton of my canopy, looks pretty crappy lol. I'm going to skin it and hopefully it will look better then. I might have to toss it
Don't sweat it. There's a learning curve with woodworking. If it doesn't come out the way you like it's not a bad idea to use it anyway for a good while. That way, as you use it, you'll get lots of ideas about how the next one can be improved. Did you put a hinge on it so you can flip part of it open?
Old 06-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #1128
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks, I'll probably use it for a while until I can make another, it is fun to do at least lol. I think the wood that I bought was bowed. Once I put the plywood on I don't think it will matter, you wont be seeing the inside. I'm going to add hinges once the top is put on and painted. That way it will be easy to attach.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #1129
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, I know how you feel. One of the boards I used to build my stand was twisted and it caused the front to line up a little wrong. Still, it worked out. I didn't have a lot of wood to work with. It just makes it more personal when a DIY project has a few quirks. ~_^
Old 06-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #1130
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lol ya I guess your right. I'll probably finish it today or tomorrow and make it fancy in the next few weeks.

Tags
build, build thread, fowlr, reef build, salt water tank, startup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com