Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2012, 12:12 AM   #1181
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Too much feeding! You'll make up your mind with time. No worries.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #1182
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'll start doing half a cube then, easy enough. I took some pics today, I think they might actually turn out well. I took them from the top of the tank, so its a new perspective.

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:26 AM   #1183
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

A whole cube? I think thats too much adam! I feed a whole cube to MY tank..and ive got some big fishies!

Thatd take all the fun out of it man..dont do it!
I absolutely wholeheartedly agree. A cube of store bought frozen food is worth about 6-8 feedings by my technique. I cut them in half lengthwise and each half gets cut into thirds or fourths. Gotta be so so careful to not build up DOCs, even with excellent filtration.

There isn't any reason for you to remove a fish. You can easily have three fish in your 30 and tons of SPSs without algae. You could simply target feed your fish with a bulb pipette. That way, even a slow feeding bottom dweller can get everything he needs without using excess food. I even kept a cleaner wrasse healthy for over four years feeding like that. Didn't stop him from jumping out of the tank for the third and final time though. >_<

Just to say, my 30 needed 3 power heads for proper flow (enough for corals and elimination of dead spots).
Old 07-19-2012, 01:50 AM   #1184
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae

I absolutely wholeheartedly agree. A cube of store bought frozen food is worth about 6-8 feedings by my technique. I cut them in half lengthwise and each half gets cut into thirds or fourths. Gotta be so so careful to not build up DOCs, even with excellent filtration.

There isn't any reason for you to remove a fish. You can easily have three fish in your 30 and tons of SPSs without algae. You could simply target feed your fish with a bulb pipette. That way, even a slow feeding bottom dweller can get everything he needs without using excess food. I even kept a cleaner wrasse healthy for over four years feeding like that. Didn't stop him from jumping out of the tank for the third and final time though. >_<

Just to say, my 30 needed 3 power heads for proper flow (enough for corals and elimination of dead spots).
Like I said, these aren't store cubes, I've made them. I'll definitely cut back though. I've been slacking with not spot feeding, but thats just because I've been so busy. I definitely don't have any dead spots. If anything, I would tone it down, I'm starting to get parts where the glass shows sometimes. They are a 750 gph and a 350 (something around that)
Old 07-19-2012, 02:21 AM   #1185
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm sorry you are having a hard time with your tank. I don't know alot about anything you guys are talking about, but if it were me I think I'd check the RODI unit filters before rehoming a fish. You only have 3 of them right? Best of luck to you. I hope you are able to get it figured out soon. I'll be following along and crossing my fingers for you!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #1186
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs
I'm sorry you are having a hard time with your tank. I don't know alot about anything you guys are talking about, but if it were me I think I'd check the RODI unit filters before rehoming a fish. You only have 3 of them right? Best of luck to you. I hope you are able to get it figured out soon. I'll be following along and crossing my fingers for you!
Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm definitely going to buy an tds meter for it before I go crazy trying to catch a fish and give it to someone. if I see it's off, I'll keep the fish and buy another filter. Thanks again!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #1187
Aquarium Advice Addict

I really only used the store bought frozen food example as a size reference. Home made frozen food was always my preference too, but for an example I wanted to use something readily familiar.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #1188
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gotcha, I was saying it was homemade because lowered the amount of food in it. 25% food, 75% rodi

The cyano is getting worse, I'll probably do a huge water change today and suck up all the nastiness.. Or maybe I'll wait for the slime remover to kick in.. Idk.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #1189
Aquarium Advice Addict

okay heres some pics that i took the time to edit in photoshop. i only change the white balance and sometimes the brightness using curves and the brightness adjustment. the hawk is really over saturated, but you couldnt see him chilling in his powerhead if i didnt. the rest are pretty accurate to what they look, some are in blues, some in both white and blue combined.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #1190
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just found the purple tip stag's actual name!!! And I know for a fact this is it! http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...924&cmd=VIDESC

Tags
build, build thread, fowlr, reef build, salt water tank, startup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com