Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-21-2012, 11:59 PM   #1201
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
It looks fine to me. The feeder tentacles are out like mine.
That was it before, I'll get a pic of it now at some point, it's over extending and almost green.

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:00 AM   #1202
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae
Hegan has some excellent single t5 fixtures you can get on amazon. By the way, my brother set up his 75 with a combo of T5s and LEDs and his corals look way better with both then with either alone.
I'll check them out, thanks. I just don't know what bulb I want, since I can only have one lol. I'm thinking maybe fiji or uv actinic..

Old 07-22-2012, 12:06 AM   #1203
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell

I'll check them out, thanks. I just don't know what bulb I want, since I can only have one lol. I'm thinking maybe fiji or uv actinic..
Both are excellent. The fiji is surprisingly whiter than I expected it to be when I first got one. More like a 12000k in effect.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:19 AM   #1204
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh, alright.. I'll have to look at the spectroscopies then.. Ugh, not this again lol. I wish I could fit two bulbs in but I can't, it's not possible. That way I could put both parts of the spectrum that I'm missing, but maybe I'll find something that covers most of what I need.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #1205
Aquarium Advice Addict

So, after making a thread about it and reading a lot, I'm probably gong with the ati purple plus and the Hagen fixture when I have the cash.

Good news about the tank: bryopsis on corals is slowly dying off, maybe even dying off the rock too, but I can't really tell.

Bad news: cyano is worse, it's getting on the rock and corals.. Yay :I I got till Friday until the second dosing of it. I might not dose then though.. I'm might just do tons and tons of water changes. The only problem with pwc's are that it removes magnesium from the tank, the main thing I'm dosing.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #1206
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Just keep siphoning and doing your water changes. Don't worry about the mag, it is a side thing compared to your 2 issues.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:02 AM   #1207
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, the reason im dosing is to get rid of the bryopsis. So it's really a decision between which to get rid of first. I'm thinking bryopsis since I already dosed to highish levels. Then comes another war with cyano, but I've done it before, so its not as bad.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #1208
Aquarium Advice Addict

If my rodi filter could breath, I'd strangle it... Just measured the ratio of waste to pure water, and it's at 1:1 lol.. No reason I'm getting cyano and bryopsis, my water levels are completely out of control. So now comes another purchase, a replacement filter pack coming in at 36$. Guess the t5 supplement will have to wait. Luckily my corals all seem happy, except for my mother colony of seriatopora and my clove polyps, which are both being smothered by algae. Sometimes this hobby is so stressful.. Well, that's enough complaining, good news is all my fish are happy and the nitrates aren't spiking. The sand is slowly going to my fuge and should be gone at some point.. The bare parts look nice I think. I'll be putting sps on the bottom to encrust.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #1209
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

For your bird's nest, get it as close to the strongest your flow is in your tank. That is how I'm keeping the algae off of mine. I have it borderline infront of a PH that is pointed at the glass. It loves it.

You want SPS to encrust onto the bottom of your tank? Why?
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #1210
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alright I'll try that, anything is worth a shot now. I just think it would look cool to have something like that on the bottom. I'm not talking the whole thing, just some spots.

Tags
build, build thread, fowlr, reef build, salt water tank, startup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com