Thirty Gallon Build!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you kidding? I've never even seen three of those corals in a shop! I thought my parents were cool when they let me set up a reef tank just for them but I paid for nearly everything. Your dad rocks! My parents are worth twice their weight in gold but...

As always, thanks for posting all those beautiful pictures. (y)

Lol most of them are actually pretty common around here! The two from Florida aren't though. And lol this is a very very rare occasion, I pay for everything, and I earn all of the money I make. Mostly through dog sitting till someone hires me. Bu yes, he is quite awesome at the moment.

And no problem, I'll keep updating as long as people still want to hear me ramble!

Also, I have a question.. How can I keep my calcium and alk stable, without putting too much time into my tank, and without burning a whole in my pocket?

Are you sure they are unstable? My tank is heavier loaded than yours and never seen a drop in either. If you want it higher, switch brands of salt. The kent I switched to is higher in both, though only gone through one bag so can't really report results.

Are you sure they are unstable? My tank is heavier loaded than yours and never seen a drop in either. If you want it higher, switch brands of salt. The kent I switched to is higher in both, though only gone through one bag so can't really report results.

It's not that its too high or low, it's that it's not stable. One water change it'll be perfect, then the next it'll be horribly off. Probably my fault, but idk.

To keep things more stable I used a simple float valve connected to a 6 gallon water jug from Academy Sports that I put on a 1"x4" stand behind the tank. I would mix in about a 1/2Tbs of pickling lime from the grocery store (same as kalkwasser) or Seachem reef builder. It was a very weak kalk solution but most of my corals were soft so full strength kalkwasser wasn't needed. That did the trick. The Seachem worked better but costs more.

The good thing about this setup is that it only doses the water as it evaporates and is simply gravity fed. Just poring in kalk can cause a snow storm of calcium precipitation so adding it very slowly is key. Otherwise, you can just use something like Reef Builder and Kent SuperBuffer or any two part solution.

Finding the right amount of calcium and alkalinity additions can be a tricky. The best way to go about finding what you need to add is to do all your testing on the same exact day every week and keep a journal. This let's you know how far your levels change in a set amount of days. Then you see how much buffer or calcium is needed each week to keep them where you want them. If they go to high or low over one week, add less or more. Check again at the end of the week and adjust your dosing as needed. Record your tests AND how much dosing you're doing. It seems like a lot of work but all it is is writing down words and numbers on a page. You will eventually see trends that can tell you how well the water changes and additives are working, or not working. The key is doing your testa on the same day and around the same time each week. Once you start that you'll be amazed how much it helps you understand what your tank actually needs.

You absolutely don't need an ATO or dosers to manage calcium or alkalinity. You do need to be able to see changes over a set amount of time.

Ugh alright. Well I haven't even been testing, I'll start back up. I have an ato, so I think I'll just add it to that, it should work well.

Did a major clean up of my tank a few days ago, and also took the canopy off for the spring. It's looking pretty nice. I broke my green slimer in two because it wasn't looking very healthy anymore, and the new frag is doing okay. Not much else to update!

Well... It's been a while, so I'll update. I got a new eater for my saltwater reservoir, now the temperature is exact and I can really see the difference in the corals. I got lazy and stopped doing much with the tank, and once I bought the heater, it turned around within two weeks. You'd be really surprised how much an ecosystem can withstand without breaking down.

It's been a great run. Unfortunately, I'm going to start selling the tank. I haven't been able to give it the best care it needs, and it's sad to see my sps withering away. Most things are healthy, but I'm going to need money for a car soon, very soon. I'll be selling it part by part, hopefully getting a decent amount of money back. I loved the experiences I've had with the tank, and hopefully someday can have some more. I might convince myself to do freshwater again soon, who knows :)

But I do want to thank everybody whom has given me any information. It all has helped me, and most likely will continue to help me. I appreciate it and can't thank you enough.

If anyone who lives near me is interested in my stuff, I'd be willing to sell it for a cheaper price. It's the least i can do for my friends that have helped me on here. There is a Craigslist listing on line. I'm asking 800$ for everything I have, I hope it's a good deal. If anyone disagrees, please tell me, I want it In good hands, but I don't want to rip anyone off either.

Thanks again everyone.

Well, it is too bad man but it happens. And let me tell you, at 29 and being on my second new car I love every minute of it. Putting in the hard work for the things you want is really great. My dad, who is currently 63, looked at me the day I came home several months ago when I bought my new Escape and said "I've only bought two new cars in my life and here you are on your second already" really pleased me. My uncle came to visit and I had a similar thing with it, and then showed him my tank. It is always great to have nice things. So work hard for it and enjoy your car when you get it.
What all corals are left in your system? On Monday I have to pick my fiancee up at the airport and could swing over and help out if there are nice small pieces left that would fit in my overstocked tank, but I'll do what I can to help out.

Well, it is too bad man but it happens. And let me tell you, at 29 and being on my second new car I love every minute of it. Putting in the hard work for the things you want is really great. My dad, who is currently 63, looked at me the day I came home several months ago when I bought my new Escape and said "I've only bought two new cars in my life and here you are on your second already" really pleased me. My uncle came to visit and I had a similar thing with it, and then showed him my tank. It is always great to have nice things. So work hard for it and enjoy your car when you get it.
What all corals are left in your system? On Monday I have to pick my fiancee up at the airport and could swing over and help out if there are nice small pieces left that would fit in my overstocked tank, but I'll do what I can to help out.

Yeah I gotcha. Most of it I'm investing in stocks until I actually need a car.

I have the bubble gum monster and purple plasma on hold, everything else is up for grabs including equipment w/ supplies for it. If your looking for lps, I could definitely hook you up. Same with zoas.

Well everyone, the tank is gone. I sold the livestock today, and I am in the process of tearing it down. It's funny how long it took me to do.. Two years.. And it can be tore down in a half a day. I hope that this huge thread helps someone now that its over, and that they take some of the mistakes I have had, and learn from them.

I'd like to thank anyone who has taken the time to post on my thread, everything was helpful. You've all helped me through some tough times with the tank, and now that its over, I can realize the true magnitude of it. I have learned so much in such little time with all of you. If anyone needs my help, I will try my best to reciprocate the kindness you have shown to me.

As for my future endeavors with aquariums... You all know I wouldn't be able to stay out of the hobby! I'm going to do a freshwater build. I think I'll have a blue lobster again. Idk what else, but I'll make a thread when I'm ready. For now I'll be relaxing and reading about how all of you have to do water changes ;)

Thanks again everyone.

Back
Top Bottom