Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 10-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #201
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell
Update

Live rock came in today.. I washed it and broke some pieces because they were a bit big. Overall great purchase, 27lbs goes a long way lol. It's still cloudy ( it wasnt until I moved the sand when adding the rock) so I will get pics after.. There's a pretty good amount of them from the first thing I did to now.

Also, PLEASE give me your opinion on my rock. It's my first time aquascaping something like this and I want it to be great, or at least good. Right now its a little basic, but my family likes it. I'm still not sure, I like the cove look.
Nice, but dont you mean base rock? Not live. Also, howd you break it? Barbaric throwing it? Hahaha! I plan on kind of leaning my rocks up, and making a sort of cave front and center, but thats just me! and ya, sponebob is a gangster haha
__________________

__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #202
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
needmorecowbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepsWithFish
You can keep the gramma if you want. Just keep it at five also, newyorksteelo has a great video on YouTube about aquascapeing with live rock. (he's like my idol when it comes to fish)
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=0kAqKXyciDc
Theres the link.
Thanks that was really helpful.. I moved the rocks around but it's too cloudy to see for now.. Gotta wait another hour now lol.
__________________

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #203
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
needmorecowbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Nice, but dont you mean base rock? Not live. Also, howd you break it? Barbaric throwing it? Hahaha! I plan on kind of leaning my rocks up, and making a sort of cave front and center, but thats just me! and ya, sponebob is a gangster haha
Ya I meant base lol I was talking about live rock the same time I was posting. I Broke it with a hammer, so kind of a classy barbaric way lol. Its just so hard to work in the tank without it getting cloudy and not being able to see. Oh well, this will keep me occupied until the cycle finishes.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #204
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
needmorecowbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepsWithFish
You can keep the gramma if you want. Just keep it at five also, newyorksteelo has a great video on YouTube about aquascapeing with live rock. (he's like my idol when it comes to fish)
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=0kAqKXyciDc
Theres the link.
Hey, I tried getting to it again and it won't open... Thanks though, I know what its called now.

Edit: I also found some amphipods while I was redoing the aquascape, yay!! I also think I like how it looks now, too cloudy to tell for sure but I did what newyorksteelo said, have little deadspots.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #205
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell

Ya I meant base lol I was talking about live rock the same time I was posting. I Broke it with a hammer, so kind of a classy barbaric way lol. Its just so hard to work in the tank without it getting cloudy and not being able to see. Oh well, this will keep me occupied until the cycle finishes.
Ya haha verrry classy hahah maybe use like tongs and move the rocks very slowly to decrease the cloudyness? I dunno! Haha oh and what are anthripods and dead spots? ^ id like to learn all the lingo haha. I know a bit about fw, but sw it very new to me
__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #206
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
needmorecowbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Ya haha verrry classy hahah maybe use like tongs and move the rocks very slowly to decrease the cloudyness? I dunno! Haha oh and what are anthripods and dead spots? ^ id like to learn all the lingo haha. I know a bit about fw, but sw it very new to me
It couldnt have been done with tongs but it will be okay in 2-3 days. Amphipods are little crustaceans that eat detritus and dead spots are where the rock is on the sand. It isn't possible for much life to be under it. It explains it well in the video that was linked.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:46 PM   #207
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell

It couldnt have been done with tongs but it will be okay in 2-3 days. Amphipods are little crustaceans that eat detritus and dead spots are where the rock is on the sand. It isn't possible for much life to be under it. It explains it well in the video that was linked.
Lol the vid wouldnt open for me haha! Ill searcg the link tho
__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:53 PM   #208
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
needmorecowbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 3,638
Ya It didn't for me either but it's pretty easy to find once you get on his channel.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:23 PM   #209
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
SwimsWithFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,660
Yeah if you want some great saltwater tank channels, him and mrsaltwatertanktv are the best!!!
__________________
''An eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind.''
-Ghandi

life is short... get a fish.
SwimsWithFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:36 PM   #210
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell
Ya It didn't for me either but it's pretty easy to find once you get on his channel.
Cool. Did you make the rock structure open, so there is enough water flow?
__________________

__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
build, build thread, fowlr, reef build, salt water tank, startup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.