Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #201
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell
Update

Live rock came in today.. I washed it and broke some pieces because they were a bit big. Overall great purchase, 27lbs goes a long way lol. It's still cloudy ( it wasnt until I moved the sand when adding the rock) so I will get pics after.. There's a pretty good amount of them from the first thing I did to now.

Also, PLEASE give me your opinion on my rock. It's my first time aquascaping something like this and I want it to be great, or at least good. Right now its a little basic, but my family likes it. I'm still not sure, I like the cove look.
Nice, but dont you mean base rock? Not live. Also, howd you break it? Barbaric throwing it? Hahaha! I plan on kind of leaning my rocks up, and making a sort of cave front and center, but thats just me! and ya, sponebob is a gangster haha

Old 10-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #202
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepsWithFish
You can keep the gramma if you want. Just keep it at five also, newyorksteelo has a great video on YouTube about aquascapeing with live rock. (he's like my idol when it comes to fish)
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=0kAqKXyciDc
Theres the link.
Thanks that was really helpful.. I moved the rocks around but it's too cloudy to see for now.. Gotta wait another hour now lol.

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #203
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Nice, but dont you mean base rock? Not live. Also, howd you break it? Barbaric throwing it? Hahaha! I plan on kind of leaning my rocks up, and making a sort of cave front and center, but thats just me! and ya, sponebob is a gangster haha
Ya I meant base lol I was talking about live rock the same time I was posting. I Broke it with a hammer, so kind of a classy barbaric way lol. Its just so hard to work in the tank without it getting cloudy and not being able to see. Oh well, this will keep me occupied until the cycle finishes.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #204
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepsWithFish
You can keep the gramma if you want. Just keep it at five also, newyorksteelo has a great video on YouTube about aquascapeing with live rock. (he's like my idol when it comes to fish)
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=0kAqKXyciDc
Theres the link.
Hey, I tried getting to it again and it won't open... Thanks though, I know what its called now.

Edit: I also found some amphipods while I was redoing the aquascape, yay!! I also think I like how it looks now, too cloudy to tell for sure but I did what newyorksteelo said, have little deadspots.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #205
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:

Ya I meant base lol I was talking about live rock the same time I was posting. I Broke it with a hammer, so kind of a classy barbaric way lol. Its just so hard to work in the tank without it getting cloudy and not being able to see. Oh well, this will keep me occupied until the cycle finishes.
Ya haha verrry classy hahah maybe use like tongs and move the rocks very slowly to decrease the cloudyness? I dunno! Haha oh and what are anthripods and dead spots? ^ id like to learn all the lingo haha. I know a bit about fw, but sw it very new to me
Old 10-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #206
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Ya haha verrry classy hahah maybe use like tongs and move the rocks very slowly to decrease the cloudyness? I dunno! Haha oh and what are anthripods and dead spots? ^ id like to learn all the lingo haha. I know a bit about fw, but sw it very new to me
It couldnt have been done with tongs but it will be okay in 2-3 days. Amphipods are little crustaceans that eat detritus and dead spots are where the rock is on the sand. It isn't possible for much life to be under it. It explains it well in the video that was linked.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:46 PM   #207
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:

It couldnt have been done with tongs but it will be okay in 2-3 days. Amphipods are little crustaceans that eat detritus and dead spots are where the rock is on the sand. It isn't possible for much life to be under it. It explains it well in the video that was linked.
Lol the vid wouldnt open for me haha! Ill searcg the link tho
Old 10-28-2011, 10:53 PM   #208
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya It didn't for me either but it's pretty easy to find once you get on his channel.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:23 PM   #209
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah if you want some great saltwater tank channels, him and mrsaltwatertanktv are the best!!!

life is short... get a fish.
SwimsWithFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:36 PM   #210
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Ya It didn't for me either but it's pretty easy to find once you get on his channel.
Cool. Did you make the rock structure open, so there is enough water flow?

Tags
build, build thread, fowlr, reef build, salt water tank, startup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com