Thirty Gallon Build!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright, thanks. It does seem to like mysis.. I made a Refugium out of a spare filter that is kinda like an emperor 400 but from topfin. All i needed to do was add some eggcrate.Right now I just have rubble and frag plugs in it.

I once made a refugium from an Aquaclear filter, and one of the things I read was that you should remove the impeller and replace it with an impeller from a smaller model of Aquaclear, to slow the flow. I assume you will be using chaeto in there eventually- the slower flow maximizes the water's contact time with the chaeto and is theoretically supposed to be better at removing excess nutrients. With the comparatively small media compartment on the Top Fin filter, and the higher flow rate, I'm not sure it's really going to do much as a refugium. On the other hand, extra biomedia and additional flow won't be a bad thing, I'm sure, even if it doesn't really function as a fuge.

It's good to hear that the scooter you bought will actually accept prepared foods. Many won't and are starving half to death by the time they are sold. One of the most important things to do IMO when you are purchasing any new marine fish, is to see it eat. Don't be shy about asking them to feed the fish while you watch. LFSs get that question all the time. If you don't see the fish eat, don't buy it.

I found that if I add filter floss to the sides where the water is pumped out, it slows the flow enough. I am very relieved that it's taking mysis, I wasnt allowed to return it. I wouldve tried to feed it to the best of my ability, but I just dont see it working for me. The filter is now pumping a little bit of micro bubbles, which I think is from the water level being low. I am going to continue to mod it into I like it. It is definitely helping my acro, it is starting to gain color on the places I fragged it. I think that might be because of the flow. I will definitely ask to see them eating, I just thought I was wasting his time because we talked for like an hour lol.. Hes the one getting paid though.

If this starts to be a pain, which I could see happening because of the loud noises and bubbles, I will start to make/ buy a sump. That comes after everything else though, including:
b ionic dosing
Test kit for calc, alk, and magnesium
Copepoda from a store of needed
Filter floss
Green star polyp for the wall

The test kit and filter floss are most important, then the Copepods and b ionic. The Gsp is just pretty :)

He is eating frozen and always shooting up plumes of sand so I can only hope he is getting something out of the sand.

Thanks! I bought some macroalgae yesterday and it was covered with copepods, hopefully I slowed my filter down enough with my filter floss that It could be a Refugium.

Well I guess I got really lucky. My scooter loves mysis. I am selling a few frags and my clownfish. I'll make enough money off it to start making my sump. I'll be making the tank and everything so if anyone has tips I'll need them. I think its gonna be plexiglass because I think it will be easier and cheaper. I can't find 1/4 inch glass anywhere so I think I'm gonna do 1/2 inch acrylic. It is going to be 9.25 inches wide, 13.5 tall, and 26 long. It will fit my stand perfectly and there isn't any 10 gallon longs anymore which would fit perfectly.. It's fine though, I think it might be fun.

I think I have hair algae.. My trates are 0 though. I think it might be because of me squirting the food at the ground for the blenny. Not sure. What should I do? I dont know why I wouldnt see trates if I have hair algae??

You wouldn't see trates because the hair algae feeds on them. The algae removes trates from the system so you kinda get a false reading.

That would make sense, I don't have much hair algae though. Should I do more water changes to get rid of this or is there something else. I think I might have a little Cyano also. Same thing?

I would say it could be very likely from over feeding excess nutrients in the water column. Also lights being on a bit too long. I'm sure your using rodi water.

Im pretty sure I don't feed my fish too much, a half a cube of mysis a day.. Im not sure about lighting though. It's on 9 am till 10pm

Update

A lot has happened! I sold 2 frags of zoos, 1 branch of kryptonite candy, my clown, and 1 frag of acro. this totaled to 50$. I made a water change station with a 24 gallon food container and I mounted my rodi station. I am starting to have hair algae on my sand, which I'm taking care of with less feeding and less light. I'm not sure what else I can do right now.

What should I buy? I was thinking a test kit for calc and alk, a 2 part doser, and any money remaining for reef salt.

Photo period is way too long IMO. Cutting back on the lighting should at least be a start into getting that HA under control. Do you rinse the mysis before you feed it? I'm pretty sure that not rinsing frozen foods can contribute to algae.

Are you sure you need to buy a doser? Unless you have a bunch of fast growing SPS, IMO you should be able to keep levels in check with your weekly water changes.

I do rinse the mysis but I can't with Rotifers. I am planning on putting a green slimer, fire and ice echinata, and an Ora redplanet in at some point.

The ha isnt really that bad, just a few spots on the sand. Now with my new pwc station, it will be much easier to take care of the water.

Back
Top Bottom