Thirty Gallon Build!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update

Got a 6 line wrasse and 3 nassarius snails. I got a lot of the algae gone now and my calcium is at 450 now. Alk at 10. Can't wait to see some growth of sps! Here's some pics..

Its an acropora. It looks bad in that pic but now i fragged it and it is looking great and has good poly extension. Yep 4 bulb t5 from Fishneedit.com, same as you gboy. Its been good for me but I'll do led at some point.

Thanks so much! I have a lot more to do with it but Itll be nice once it's done. I need to put in a sump first so I can get rid of all the crappy filtration first :/

That's an acropora. Not sure about the species yet because it's so small. It's not looking so good in that picture but I fragged it and it's great now. Still not branching though.

My montipora hasn't grown out at all, but it is encrusting the frag slowly. Is this normal for them?

update

the cyano/ green hair is coming back.... i think its because of my water flow.. how much flow should i have with all these sps? i have a 550 ph and 2 filters that probably equal out to 400 gph. i just want it gone lol. i dont have any cerith snails but i have turbos, hermits (not sure what type), emerald crab, fire shrimp, and now 3 nassarius snails. would the ceriths help? ive been trying pretty hard to get rid of it but my trates are low and ive been feeding less with >9 hours of light on. no negative effects on my corals but i just think its ugly.

also, i am in the process of buying materials for a 10 gallon sump, maybe bigger if i can fit it. does anyone know how to plumb these things? i have the overflow so i just need pipes. i was really hoping to have flex hose just because im able to make mistakes with it and not have a disaster. i do want it to be able to be changed though. are there any good things on the market right now for that? how much should my pump going back to the tank be if I have 4ish feet of head pressure. im not exactly new at this, just dusty lol. any advice/ suggestions would be great, ill need all i can get.

Your trates are probably low because of the algae consuming them. Sounds like needing to feed less maybe.

I bought an aqueon sump. It is a nice little unit, but anymore I paid to much for it. Now that I'm upgrading to a 55, my 36 will make a fine addition as one... it might return as an ato or a fuge...if I can figure out how to plumb both of them up. It would be nice to have the 36 between the DT and sump so I can do water changes via it. Just not that smart lol.

For most SPS I'd say a decent rule of flow is at least 50x your tank size per hour. So 30x 50= 1500gph.

I'd say, if your getting into SPS more try to get 1500-2000 gph.

i am feeding every other day. im going to stick with diy on this one. i think ill do a 20 gallon if i can fit it. its that or a 10g. glad i asked about flow, im running low then lol. gotta get a 750 then. its pretty annoying forking out that much cash though, it holds me back from better filtration. not too mention corals haha

im going to buy a 20 long from a guy near me. he is giving me a great deal. 1 stick of epoxy, the glass panels cut and polished by a glass shop, 2 tubs of carbon, media chambers, phosban media, silicone, and the tank itself for 50$. i wont need much more, just a sump pump, which will be a mag 5, and some flexible tubing. everything else is setup.

update

i just bought the 20 long and im putting in 2 of the 3 baffles. my skimmer will be next to the intake and then my refugium. after that will be a bubble trap with the pump going up at the end.

i filled it with water a few minutes ago and there were no leaks. ill get pics up soon. my snails came in from reefcleaners also. i asked for about 30 and got about 250. im not joking either lol. my powerhead is coming any second now also.

i just built the sump and i am cutting my stand so it will fit into it. i am reinforcing the stand with 2x4s. its carpenter approved, so im safe :) i have gotten most of the cyano gone, the hermits really helped. with the new powerhead im getting amazing polyp extension on my acro and birdsnest. also, what are those plastic black output things that go into the dt called? i need something to disperse the water from the tubing i bought. i will be using a mag 5 which has a 1/2" output. ill put a ball valve on it then connect 3/4" flexible tubing to it.

Back
Top Bottom