Thirty Gallon Build!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, I like how it turned out too. I'm going to be starting the canopy in a few days also.

I don't want a Kenya because they reproduce scarily fast. Dont want a brownish garden throughout a colorful tank. Maybe I'll do a little just to see how it does, I have the feeling I'm getting a pretty big frag.

I dont understand why people hate kenya tree. They get big fast but its not like you cant trim it back? I dont get it.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I dont understand why people hate kenya tree. They get big fast but its not like you cant trim it back? I dont get it.

I had xenia tree before and they look real nice when it's a 6" stalk but they leave behind little trees that grow into an individual stalk.

Do they take over the tank then? So I'm understanding some people will consider these a pest, like the aptasia?

You should email me your plans for the hood. I wouldn't know where to begin. (I'll even get my printer up and running if you do LOL)

Buffy said:
Do they take over the tank then? So I'm understanding some people will consider these a pest, like the aptasia?

You should email me your plans for the hood. I wouldn't know where to begin. (I'll even get my printer up and running if you do LOL)

They aren't really a pest. They won't attach if there is a coral in the spot. 70% of the ones that drop go to the back of the tank anyway.

Buffy said:

I definitely wouldn't say take over, but they do spread. I personally wouldnt want Kenya all over my tank, even if it is a small amount.

I am basically doing what this guy did.. But I think mine will look better since I'll be adding stuff to make it look fancier. Once it's built I can give you all the dimensions on it, I might even make a video on it.

Found someone my age that is starting a reef aquarium that lives in a reachable distance from me. Its a hike but I'm happy that there is someone. I'm going to be giving him my death star palys, spread the love, ya know?

I'll be starting to buy the supplies for my canopy tomorrow most likely. I'm also buying a bunch of corals Sunday.. Well maybe I'll control myself a little and buy a few.. Not sure.

Ive been seeing bryopsis in my tank since the emerald crab died so I'm going to buy another in hopes that it will eat it. Im not even going to try to kill it, I'll live with it before that war. It's not too ugly.

Nevermind, not my age.. 26 lol.

Good news, found out one of my hermit likes the occasional bryopsis. There wasn't any bryopsis on my zoa frag which had a lot of the stuff on it..

All of my sps are growing like crazy now.. Its exciting. Also, from now on I'm taking the coral of the frag when I buy it and I'm manually attaching it to my scape. It will look more natural IMO.

Bought the 1" cube sticks and put the bottom and top of the frame together. It was 17.59 total for that part, I used nicer wood though. Wood was 4 36" pieces, and 4 10" pieces. Make sure you account for the width of the wood, my tank is actually 12" wide. I used wood glue to get it together and later I'll be putting it together with screws/nails (not sure yet, most likely screws).

Brad nails should mostly be all you need as long as the parts that are glued fit well. Good wood glue is amazingly strong. I also built my stand and hood myself. I only used a few brad nails and screws for the whole thing. Every project is different, though. Are you planning on painting the inside of the hood, too? I did like everybody else and went with white inside to reflect light and repel moisture.

Alright, I'll do brad nails, but since it's only 1", will it possibly split?

I'm going to prime the inside, so yes, it will be white.

Brad nails are used to connect thin pieces of wood, like moulding or cabinets. In the case of your hood you'll probably only need to use them for the top. You can always use screws for the inside rail that sits on the tank's rim. I could post some picks of the hood I made but it might be designed way different from yours.

We don't have any brad nails, but I'll probably buy some for the top, is it used to connect the plywood also?

The store called, they have my Midas Blenny! I'm not sure when I'll be getting it, but I definitely will be buying it. Just Dont know when because it's pretty far away.

I'm off to a persons house who is selling me a few sps and giving me a Hollywood stunner.. Very excited.

I'm going to probably get the Midas Blenny in a week so I don't have to worry about aggression while I'm gone.

I finished nailing the canopy top and bottom, seems pretty sturdy. I added 1 1/2" nails instead of brad nails because we didn't have any. I'll probably add the corners in sometime soon do It can actually look like a canopy somewhat lol. Right now two rectangles isn't doing it for me. I'm sure it will look nice in the end though.

Got the corals!!! All sps :D

1 purple tip
1 bonsai
1 green slimer
1 big hollywood stunner
1 green tabling acro (I'm super excited about this one)

I'm about to explode with excitement on this buy... It was 30$ and all of these corals are going to be absolutely beautiful IMO. Im still in disbelief, I thought I was going to get like 2 corals or so, not 5, let alone 5 decently sized frags. Most were under halides and the chalice was under t5s. I'll be putting them all at the Sandbed tonight. I don't know where I'm going to put them lol. I can't wait to see the colors under my LEDs, I'm about to pee my pants in excitement or something lol. It's pretty ridiculous that I'm 15 and I'm just about as excited as a normal teenager who just found out he got a car. I think I've expressed how I feel pretty well now... Pics soon, probably next monday because I'll be gone for the weekend.

Having to wait so long for pics is quite the tease. A tabling acro? Now it is my turn to be jealous. I really want to see that bonsai of yours too. Is it purple? I think I've only seen purple and blue.

Alright.. I'll definitely try to get them Tuesday, Im sure it's impossible tomorrow :(

Yep, tabling. I was ready to dance when I heard free. The bonsai is a deep purple with neon green polyps. I just saw the slimer under blues, it's the brightest greenish yellow I've ever seen, it even competes with the kryptonite candycane. I think he lives near you, I'll pm you the area..

Back
Top Bottom