Thirty Gallon Build!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
needmorecowbell said:
Well.. I sold the candycane, and then organized my electric stuff.. I looked at my lighting schedule and found out one of the reasons my corals are bleaching lol.. The timer was bumped and had the blues on almost all the time. The whites were on for 11 hours. I now have it on a 10 hours schedule, which I think is much better. And I am going to wash out my filter sock tomorrow, it was really brown. I'm hoping that will be easy, I just put it in the washing machine with no soap, right?

I have the money to buy a reactor.. That might be next. I'll get the little fishies reactor if I can't make it to slippery rock before school.

When do you start school? If you make it up to slippery rock before I do make sure to let me know if you see anything good ;)

Mrc8858 said:
When do you start school? If you make it up to slippery rock before I do make sure to let me know if you see anything good ;)

I start shortly after labor day, and I'll definitely tell you! If he has a cheap bubble tip or plate, I'm gonna probly be too tempted not to get it lol.

I'm back and the tank is doing fine. I'm going to finish off the sand in the tank then save up for a gfo reactor and some t5 retros. I'm dipping my small zoa rock in diluted hydrogen peroxide to kill Bryopsis, works really well.

You should see the colony I got off you. Almost completely recovered with new growth on the tips I cut. Another month and i think it'll be fully colored back up which its getting a real nice green body with almost teal polyps :) ... Unfortunately though the frag isnt looking good only a couple polyps left so think its a lost cause

That's perfect! And even if the smaller frag doesn't look good, You got the colony, no worries! But what about the acan echinata?

Looking great but there wasn't a doubt in my mind it wouldnt start thriving immediately haha it started showing feeding tentacles about a week ago

That's good. It used to show it's feeder tentacles for me when the moonlights were on. When I added the LEDs that stopped but it grew a lot faster.

I got almost all of the sand out today, just a little bit more and I'll start posting pics. The filter sock has really helped, I recommend everyone to get one. Just make sure ya wash em! The cyano has died of completely, but bryopsis is back, im going to do more water changes and I'm sure it will die off. It's not bothering anything anymore.

So.. the fish are healthy, but the hawk has been sitting in my zoa "garden" and it annoys them. What should I do?

Corals are all doing fine, the newest ones which I got from mrc have changed colors, the smaller one is now bright green with dark red polyps, the bigger one is now a bit redder. Both are happy. I don't see any unhappy corals so I think I'm good.

Gfo reactor is the next purchase and im looking for one now, hopefully someone has a cheap one and I won't have to buy it new. Then my phosphates will be dealt with and I should have a happy tank!

Woohooo!!! Lol... I would give you the rest of my mag, but I'm starting to like what it does with the corals. Since im buying the gfo reactor, I'll tell you how it takes care of the algae.. It's nasty stuff though. Harder than cyano for sure, luckily that's all ive dealt with.

Yeah, I'm not overly concerned about it. I've been watching it for about 2 months not realizing what it was. Removed about a shot glass full of it...for you youngins that isn't very much ;-)

Sniperhank said:
Yeah, I'm not overly concerned about it. I've been watching it for about 2 months not realizing what it was. Removed about a shot glass full of it...for you youngins that isn't very much ;-)

Lol gotcha. I used to have an emerald crab who loved the stuff, wish he was still around. Luckily none of the corals are bothered by it except for the zoas, but I've been dipping them in hydrogen peroxide to kill of the algae, it works really well and the zoas are always fine after it.

I don't know what I'm going to do.. My rodi unit just fell over and the plastic nub that goes to the membrane broke off. I'm going to try to glue it back on.. But I doubt it will work. I don't have the money to get a new unit and nobody sells rodi water locally, just ro and distilled. What should I do? :(

Just buy the needed parts for it from brs instead of a whole unit. Until then topping off with RO shouldn't be terrible. Sorry to hear about it though I'm always worried about this happening to me since I just stand mine next to the sink : /

You may also find that part at Lowes. They have lots of those types of parts. I fixed both my mother's and my brother's RO units with parts from Lowes. If you can bring it in with you it'll help a lot. Never glue in a broken part. It can get stuck and ruin the filter housing or be impossible to remove without damaging the housing.

Mrc8858 said:
Just buy the needed parts for it from brs instead of a whole unit. Until then topping off with RO shouldn't be terrible. Sorry to hear about it though I'm always worried about this happening to me since I just stand mine next to the sink : /

Honestly I might just do that. The di is new and everything else is okay.

CorallineAlgae said:
You may also find that part at Lowes. They have lots of those types of parts. I fixed both my mother's and my brother's RO units with parts from Lowes. If you can bring it in with you it'll help a lot. Never glue in a broken part. It can get stuck and ruin the filter housing or be impossible to remove without damaging the housing.

Unfortunately it was the housing that broke, just got home and checked. Thanks for the advice though. And yeah, I never glued it, thank god I didn't break anything else lol.

Back
Top Bottom