Thirty Gallon Build!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, with the fish gone for about two days... THE CORAL IS SOOOOO HAPPY. The frogspawn is huge and happy. The zoas are open wide and colorful, even the sps are coloring up. This is within two days?!

needmorecowbell said:
Okay, with the fish gone for about two days... THE CORAL IS SOOOOO HAPPY. The frogspawn is huge and happy. The zoas are open wide and colorful, even the sps are coloring up. This is within two days?!

Awesome! This is one of the reasons I always understock fish in a reef. Rock on, man!

needmorecowbell said:

That's great news!!! :)

CorallineAlgae said:
Awesome! This is one of the reasons I always understock fish in a reef. Rock on, man!

Yeah, but I only had two fish! Once I get the reactor running, I'll be adding some more Lps like a hammer so I can make the tank more lively.

needmorecowbell said:

Hmm...maybe i should get rid of somthing...:p jk

Awesome for ya man!! So, will the BB die off a but?

Gboy66 said:
Hmm...maybe i should get rid of somthing...:p jk

Awesome for ya man!! So, will the BB die off a bit?

Yeah, but it's ok. Corals actually produce waste all on their own. A few snails, hermits, a shrimp or something and the BB will be fed just fine. Keep in mind that BB are nearly all aerobic, which means they take up oxygen, more than most people realize. Think "trickle filter". Those work so ridiculously well because the bacteria have so much access to oxygen. They really consume a lot!

Reducing bio-load doesn't just mean less nutrients stressing the corals. It also leaves a little more O2 for them. The bacteria will still be there doing their magic. The tide just turns to everything in the tank working to the coral's benefit. He can still feed the tank, but it'll be the corals getting fed. Kinda like an only child getting spoiled vs. a big family where the kids all end up sharing rooms and argue over whose turn it is to play the X-Box. lol

Mrc8858 said:
Group buy bout to happen for brs thought I'd give you a heads up ;)

Thanks, Ill have to skip this one though, im going to save for a brs rodi filter unit and a gfo reactor. Then I'll be ready for some inverts! I'm thinking an anemone might be in my future as well... Idk

needmorecowbell said:
Thanks, Ill have to skip this one though, im going to save for a brs rodi filter unit and a gfo reactor. Then I'll be ready for some inverts! I'm thinking an anemone might be in my future as well... Idk

Really?? Haha i hear if an sps gets stung by a nem its a death sentance.... :eek:

Good to hear about the tank man!!!!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Really?? Haha i hear if an sps gets stung by a nem its a death sentance.... :eek:

Good to hear about the tank man!!!!

Yeah, I know.. It's just something I'd have to be alright with. I love my sps, but nems are sooooo cool.

I actually was going to wait a little to update because big things are happening soon with the tank. But since you asked, here's whats been happening.

Algae issues: most algae hasnt grown back. The bryopsis is still there, but it doesn't grow back once I rip it out. It's going to be a pain cleaning though. The algae on the back wall is also the same way, which Im excited about.

Corals: everything is super happy!! The zoas you gave me are doing amazing, one of the healthiest corals in my tank. The green skeleton with red polyped sps is very vibrant, although its only encrusted a bit. Everything is doing well though, and that's what matters. The lights are only at 10% each!!!

Future plans: 1. Get inverts! I told my friend about sexy shrimp and he's in love, so I gotta get a few. That unfortunately means no invert loving fish though :/ 2. Getting and rodi unit. My bday is coming up, and thats the only thing I've asked for. 3. Finish making the tank barebottom. It's really close but I haven't finished cuz I ran out of new saltwater. 4. Get fish. I'm getting a b&w clown most likely. Everything else is up in the air.

needmorecowbell said:
I actually was going to wait a little to update because big things are happening soon with the tank. But since you asked, here's whats been happening.

Algae issues: most algae hasnt grown back. The bryopsis is still there, but it doesn't grow back once I rip it out. It's going to be a pain cleaning though. The algae on the back wall is also the same way, which Im excited about.

Corals: everything is super happy!! The zoas you gave me are doing amazing, one of the healthiest corals in my tank. The green skeleton with red polyped sps is very vibrant, although its only encrusted a bit. Everything is doing well though, and that's what matters. The lights are only at 10% each!!!

Future plans: 1. Get inverts! I told my friend about sexy shrimp and he's in love, so I gotta get a few. That unfortunately means no invert loving fish though :/ 2. Getting and rodi unit. My bday is coming up, and thats the only thing I've asked for. 3. Finish making the tank barebottom. It's really close but I haven't finished cuz I ran out of new saltwater. 4. Get fish. I'm getting a b&w clown most likely. Everything else is up in the air.

Sounds good and glad to hear about the zoas.. I finally made my first tank thread after the big move last week (man I was scared everything was gonna die haha)

Mrc8858 said:
Sounds good and glad to hear about the zoas.. I finally made my first tank thread after the big move last week (man I was scared everything was gonna die haha)

I'll be sure to go on your build then! And I woulda hooked you up if everything did die!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Atta kid adam, cant wait fo see the new and improved tank!!!!

Lol thanks, it should be done and ready to be shown off by mid november (algae free that is), sand free with inverts and maybe a hammer coral in late October!

Update

Early bday present!!!!!! I acted like a 5yr old when I saw the bulkreefsupply box at my door. Its an rodi unit!! Which means water changes!! Which means no more algae haha!! It came with a tds meter, pressure gauge, and flush kit. Its super nice and I love the clear tubes, it helps a bunch. I have some cash so I might go and get a hammer... Maybe.

Back
Top Bottom