Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2012, 11:33 PM   #901
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alright, thanks. It does seem to like mysis.. I made a Refugium out of a spare filter that is kinda like an emperor 400 but from topfin. All i needed to do was add some eggcrate.Right now I just have rubble and frag plugs in it.

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #902
Aquarium Advice Addict

I once made a refugium from an Aquaclear filter, and one of the things I read was that you should remove the impeller and replace it with an impeller from a smaller model of Aquaclear, to slow the flow. I assume you will be using chaeto in there eventually- the slower flow maximizes the water's contact time with the chaeto and is theoretically supposed to be better at removing excess nutrients. With the comparatively small media compartment on the Top Fin filter, and the higher flow rate, I'm not sure it's really going to do much as a refugium. On the other hand, extra biomedia and additional flow won't be a bad thing, I'm sure, even if it doesn't really function as a fuge.

It's good to hear that the scooter you bought will actually accept prepared foods. Many won't and are starving half to death by the time they are sold. One of the most important things to do IMO when you are purchasing any new marine fish, is to see it eat. Don't be shy about asking them to feed the fish while you watch. LFSs get that question all the time. If you don't see the fish eat, don't buy it.

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #903
Aquarium Advice Addict

I found that if I add filter floss to the sides where the water is pumped out, it slows the flow enough. I am very relieved that it's taking mysis, I wasnt allowed to return it. I wouldve tried to feed it to the best of my ability, but I just dont see it working for me. The filter is now pumping a little bit of micro bubbles, which I think is from the water level being low. I am going to continue to mod it into I like it. It is definitely helping my acro, it is starting to gain color on the places I fragged it. I think that might be because of the flow. I will definitely ask to see them eating, I just thought I was wasting his time because we talked for like an hour lol.. Hes the one getting paid though.

If this starts to be a pain, which I could see happening because of the loud noises and bubbles, I will start to make/ buy a sump. That comes after everything else though, including:
b ionic dosing
Test kit for calc, alk, and magnesium
Copepoda from a store of needed
Filter floss
Green star polyp for the wall

The test kit and filter floss are most important, then the Copepods and b ionic. The Gsp is just pretty
Old 02-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #904
Aquarium Advice Addict

Found a new lfs that sells chaeto for about 5$! I might go tomorrow to get some.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #905
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice! Hows the scooter doin?
Old 02-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #906
Aquarium Advice Addict

He hasn't really changed at all. Im really trying to get my pod population up so I can be sure.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #907
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ohhh very cool. Is he eating alot? Have you gotten him to eat some frozen?
Old 02-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #908
Aquarium Advice Addict

He is eating frozen and always shooting up plumes of sand so I can only hope he is getting something out of the sand.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #909
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh awesome! Haha im sure he will be ok! Good job
Old 02-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #910
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks! I bought some macroalgae yesterday and it was covered with copepods, hopefully I slowed my filter down enough with my filter floss that It could be a Refugium.

Tags
build, build thread, fowlr, reef build, salt water tank, startup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com