Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #911
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I guess I got really lucky. My scooter loves mysis. I am selling a few frags and my clownfish. I'll make enough money off it to start making my sump. I'll be making the tank and everything so if anyone has tips I'll need them. I think its gonna be plexiglass because I think it will be easier and cheaper. I can't find 1/4 inch glass anywhere so I think I'm gonna do 1/2 inch acrylic. It is going to be 9.25 inches wide, 13.5 tall, and 26 long. It will fit my stand perfectly and there isn't any 10 gallon longs anymore which would fit perfectly.. It's fine though, I think it might be fun.

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #912
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think I have hair algae.. My trates are 0 though. I think it might be because of me squirting the food at the ground for the blenny. Not sure. What should I do? I dont know why I wouldnt see trates if I have hair algae??

Old 02-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #913
Aquarium Advice Addict

You wouldn't see trates because the hair algae feeds on them. The algae removes trates from the system so you kinda get a false reading.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #914
Aquarium Advice Addict

That would make sense, I don't have much hair algae though. Should I do more water changes to get rid of this or is there something else. I think I might have a little Cyano also. Same thing?
Old 02-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #915
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have seen an algae bloom since the addition of my emperor 400. What could cause this?
Old 02-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #916
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would say it could be very likely from over feeding excess nutrients in the water column. Also lights being on a bit too long. I'm sure your using rodi water.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #917
Aquarium Advice Addict

Im pretty sure I don't feed my fish too much, a half a cube of mysis a day.. Im not sure about lighting though. It's on 9 am till 10pm
Old 02-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #918
Aquarium Advice Addict

Update

A lot has happened! I sold 2 frags of zoos, 1 branch of kryptonite candy, my clown, and 1 frag of acro. this totaled to 50$. I made a water change station with a 24 gallon food container and I mounted my rodi station. I am starting to have hair algae on my sand, which I'm taking care of with less feeding and less light. I'm not sure what else I can do right now.

What should I buy? I was thinking a test kit for calc and alk, a 2 part doser, and any money remaining for reef salt.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #919
Aquarium Advice Addict

Photo period is way too long IMO. Cutting back on the lighting should at least be a start into getting that HA under control. Do you rinse the mysis before you feed it? I'm pretty sure that not rinsing frozen foods can contribute to algae.

Are you sure you need to buy a doser? Unless you have a bunch of fast growing SPS, IMO you should be able to keep levels in check with your weekly water changes.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #920
Aquarium Advice Addict

I do rinse the mysis but I can't with Rotifers. I am planning on putting a green slimer, fire and ice echinata, and an Ora redplanet in at some point.

The ha isnt really that bad, just a few spots on the sand. Now with my new pwc station, it will be much easier to take care of the water.

Tags
build, build thread, fowlr, reef build, salt water tank, startup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com