Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #951
Aquarium Advice Addict

oh alright.... http://youtu.be/2G15JkbmQpE

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #952
Aquarium Advice Addict

umm... can you go overkill on a skimmer?? i just found out one of my family members was a major aquarium junkie. he asked if i wanted a german berlin skimmer that was about 500$ for free. it was for his 120 gallon tank. im willing to switch how my refugium and intake is if it will work. my sump will be up hopefully tomorrow!

Old 03-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #953
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

That skimmer will be great. Rule #1, never look a gift horse in the mouth.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #954
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

A skimmer rated for 120g should be uber on a 30g tank. Unless it's really old and the pump or technology isn't there.....But yeah, I'd definitely check it out and see if they have any other stuff. You could be hitting the jackpot here! LOL
Old 03-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #955
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

btw, watched your vid. I still wish my tank was going as well as yours. My blue trumpet frag is doing better than the colony I was excited for, most of it bleached out and is dead. Still can't get most of my polyps to open, I haven't talked about them as I was more interested in my symphodium. Anyway, back on track, why miracle mud for your fuge? I haven't read much positive stuff about it.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #956
Aquarium Advice Addict

woohooo!!!! i think its a venturi so thats great. If its way to big i could always sell it and buy a nice reef octopus, or a dent in saving for a car lol. Sniper, im having some problems too. its really hard to get rid of cyano lol. i just cant seem to kill it. its not that im doing anything wrong anymore either. i dont know. and hey, i know how it feels to have a coral die also, no worries, it happens to all of us. i was thinking of using miracle mud because ive heard things grow better in it. if someone tells me otherwise and has proof here ill definitely change my mind though, the price alone is making me question it. Ill get a substrate once i figure out what im going to do with the skimmer. im so excited now, no more crappy hob skimmer!!!
Old 03-17-2012, 11:44 PM   #957
Aquarium Advice Addict

update
my sump is up and running!!!! i dont have room for my hob skimmer at the moment though.. it looks nice and ill put pics and a vid up once i paint the chips off the back of the tank that i made. it worked very well but i definitely am gonna need to have more filtration. maybe filter floss, not sure. right now i have a lot of live rock and 2 different macroalgaes. one is a red type and the other is chaeto. the pump is working great, but i had to slow it down a pretty good amount. the only things i dont like right now is the overflow box being way to big, and the tube going to the intake makes WAY to much sound.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #958
Aquarium Advice Addict

heres a video of the whole system, i hope you enjoy!!

http://youtu.be/9z2ILpwFFYA
Old 03-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #959
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

When my overflow was gurgling, I adjusted it so it leaned into the water more. This solved the issue. Might want to try it.

Also, instead of buying a bottle of pods, save up your money and wait for a deal off of a site like reefs2go. Reefs2go has some nice pods and I don't grasp spending money on them when most sites are basically giving them away for free. This way you can get yourself some fish/coral you really want plus 1000 or so pods.

How did you put together your screen? I can see more work with eggcrate, but that is about it.

Good call on the directional return. When I finally move over to my 55 I'll be going that route. Right now I don't have any pvc set up on my 36 and looking to do that with the 55 so it is cleaner. That is on the end of my list as lighting is more important atm.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #960
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
When my overflow was gurgling, I adjusted it so it leaned into the water more. This solved the issue. Might want to try it.

Also, instead of buying a bottle of pods, save up your money and wait for a deal off of a site like reefs2go. Reefs2go has some nice pods and I don't grasp spending money on them when most sites are basically giving them away for free. This way you can get yourself some fish/coral you really want plus 1000 or so pods.

How did you put together your screen? I can see more work with eggcrate, but that is about it.

Good call on the directional return. When I finally move over to my 55 I'll be going that route. Right now I don't have any pvc set up on my 36 and looking to do that with the 55 so it is cleaner. That is on the end of my list as lighting is more important atm.
its my lfs version of the eshopps 300. i pulled the sponge out and that seemed to do the trick with my sound problem. hopefully it stays. ill check out reefs2go, your right the price is crazy at my lfs. ill probably by that seriatopora with the money i save lol. i told them to hold one for me and they actually did. they dont care when i buy it, they like the piece anyways.

i put the screen together with mesh and eggcrate. i got a sheet of eggcrate, wrapped the mesh around it, and put zipties on every other square on the perimeter. works well but wish it was tighter fitting.

Thanks, i didnt really want white pvc in my tank anyways. this way it increases flow in my tank, and looks a lot neater. i love the sump so much. the only problem now is the ball valve on the return. i cant get it just the way i want it and it keeps getting too low or too high. luckily i catch it in time so it hasnt run dry yet.

Tags
build, build thread, fowlr, reef build, salt water tank, startup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com