Thirty Gallon Build!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
img_2203068_0_71285f7e6596051b0ee2aaae357a213d.jpg
img_2203068_1_8b48ec6955f7889a874be7c9b87a2ebc.jpg
img_2203068_2_6d7118fa7a499c903471ead64bf8a1bd.jpg
img_2203068_3_6c4ca79ae9b58638351692519838516d.jpg
img_2203068_4_49e11b7b0211fed2b059b0a6ffe14f48.jpg
img_2203068_5_ae55229e43327e626a8fc3e647409b42.jpg

The tank is looking fantastic! Are you going to name the fish? I'd be so unoriginal... Clark and PJ... Lol! I saw a Clarkii at petco and thought of your tank. They are really pretty!

Bearchumjs said:
The tank is looking fantastic! Are you going to name the fish? I'd be so unoriginal... Clark and PJ... Lol! I saw a Clarkii at petco and thought of your tank. They are really pretty!

Thanks! Haha my crazy friend named them! The clown is Ernest, the cardinal is Paul, and the shrimp is Lars. My sister surprised me the first day I got them. She pointed at Paul and said.. "That's a cardinal!! A Pajamee cardinal?" I think we have another aquarium addict in the family lol. I love how Ernest moves, but he hides soooo much. I'm sure that will change though.

Fragged up the birdsnest I got off you. Got the mother colony and 7 nice size frags off of it all coloring up nicely. If you ever want want let me know it'll be free lol.

Wow.. It's been a while since I posted on here. That's cool, I might have to hit you up on that coral frag some time... Whenever my tank doesn't look like crap I guess.

It's definitely getting better, but I wish I would've made it easier on myself. It's impossible for me to really downgrade easily. I really want to stick with Ips and softies now, with easy sps. I'm pretty tired of worrying about calcium and alkalinity just because I don't have the time anymore. The main thing is the bryopsis, but hopefully the Gfo reactor Ill be getting or buying for Christmas will help.

Anyone have ideas on what I could do?

needmorecowbell said:
Wow.. It's been a while since I posted on here. That's cool, I might have to hit you up on that coral frag some time... Whenever my tank doesn't look like crap I guess.

It's definitely getting better, but I wish I would've made it easier on myself. It's impossible for me to really downgrade easily. I really want to stick with Ips and softies now, with easy sps. I'm pretty tired of worrying about calcium and alkalinity just because I don't have the time anymore. The main thing is the bryopsis, but hopefully the Gfo reactor Ill be getting or buying for Christmas will help.

Anyone have ideas on what I could do?

Well it all comes down to money Imo, adam. So it sounds like uou want to do what jack and ive got going? We have lots of lps and softies, but also some easy sps like meteor shower, purple haze, acro, etc. i'd sell off the tough sps and take it easy until you find more time.

If you have the money, though, buy a doser. It'll run you round 250 or 300 bucks, but if you can come up with the money it would totally solve your dosing problems

What is your magnesium running? I've heard from a couple sources that getting the magnesium elevated will kill it off. I struggle with the bryopsis as well, and have been dosing magnesium buffer and just changed from Coralife to Kent Reef salt hoping the reef salt will help to keep it elevated. Low magnesium also leads to calcium and alkalinity precipitating, and could be the source of that issue.

Last night I scrubbed a lot off, sucked out what I could, and then changed out the filter socks as well as changing out the GFO in my reactor. I recently added a tomini tang in the hopes he'll eat some. Next step is getting a sea hare...

Honestly you shouldnt be having dosing issues. Water changes should.be plenty cause you really don't have all that many hard corals. I barely need to dose and when I up my water changes a bit I don't and I have roughly 60 corals in my tank with most being lps or sps.

The dosing is for the byropsis more than anything.

He was also saying he'd like to steer away from sps due to not enough time to maintain spot on alk and cal. If you ask me sps is hyped up to be much tougher then it really is imo. Once things are tuned in and on track its pretty easy with the correct equipment.

Well it all comes down to money Imo, adam. So it sounds like uou want to do what jack and ive got going? We have lots of lps and softies, but also some easy sps like meteor shower, purple haze, acro, etc. i'd sell off the tough sps and take it easy until you find more time.

If you have the money, though, buy a doser. It'll run you round 250 or 300 bucks, but if you can come up with the money it would totally solve your dosing problems

Yeah, which is definitely one of the only things I dislike about this hobby. I'd sell the corals, but my worry is that it's all encrusted, so selling it would be hard. And yeah a doses would be great, but I'm not having calc and alc issues like that. The issue is that I don't trust my salt mix. Sometimes the calc is really high and alk really low, but the salinity is 1.026. I could definitely get away with no dosing.

What is your magnesium running? I've heard from a couple sources that getting the magnesium elevated will kill it off. I struggle with the bryopsis as well, and have been dosing magnesium buffer and just changed from Coralife to Kent Reef salt hoping the reef salt will help to keep it elevated. Low magnesium also leads to calcium and alkalinity precipitating, and could be the source of that issue.

Last night I scrubbed a lot off, sucked out what I could, and then changed out the filter socks as well as changing out the GFO in my reactor. I recently added a tomini tang in the hopes he'll eat some. Next step is getting a sea hare...

I've tried kent m and it only killed it off for a little while. Trust me, I've tried about everything now. Even in tank h2o2 dosing. I've gone fishless to cut off nearly all nutrients and countless water changes with good rodi water. Oh, and I made my tank barebottom. This is worst algae ever.

Honestly you shouldnt be having dosing issues. Water changes should.be plenty cause you really don't have all that many hard corals. I barely need to dose and when I up my water changes a bit I don't and I have roughly 60 corals in my tank with most being lps or sps.

I'm not having the issue of too low calcium and alk, it's that my levels fluctuate a lot.

A new ring of mouths from what I got from you but it had a bit of bryopsis on the disk which was irritating it which is why I fragged it sooner then late.. figure ill get a lot more growth now with multiple pieces minus the bryopsis. Its also on the birdsnest colony but I'm not having any issues of it spreading just stays put for me lol.

A new ring of mouths from what I got from you but it had a bit of bryopsis on the disk which was irritating it which is why I fragged it sooner then late.. figure ill get a lot more growth now with multiple pieces minus the bryopsis. Its also on the birdsnest colony but I'm not having any issues of it spreading just stays put for me lol.

Get rid of those pieces NOW. I didn't know they had bryopsis on them. That stuff will ruin your tank. It didn't grow at all for the longest time, then just shot up and spread everywhere. Be careful!!

Ya I've been pretty good with it and with the new direction I'm going with my tank it shouldnt be an issue.. I also run very high reef levels which I'm pretty sure is keeping it at bay and only growing where it had already been rooted in.

Ya I've been pretty good with it and with the new direction I'm going with my tank it shouldnt be an issue.. I also run very high reef levels which I'm pretty sure is keeping it at bay and only growing where it had already been rooted in.

Alright, that's what I did for a while. Just make sure you keep it isolated, I'd hate to see it ruin your tank too.

Back
Top Bottom