This algea is bad now.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elykreefs97

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This algea is pissing me off it won't stop. I don't have enough money to buy an RO unit. Can I use water from my fridge for water changes

Water that's been through the fridge filter has about the same amount of junk in it I'm afraid. I checked mine with a TDS meter and the TDS was identical to the straight tap water.

I posted on the wrong thread sorry but no were around me sells RO water. And I'm saving up for a unit. But I have water conditioner.

Attachments

• image-3322066706.jpg
    image-3322066706.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 95
  • image-1713455138.jpg
    image-1713455138.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 98
  • image-4164488665.jpg
    image-4164488665.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 88
Yeah that's no good. Too many nutrients in the water is causing that algae breakout- I'm going through something similar because my Ro/di machine is not working correctly, I need new filters. Waiting for them to come in the mail.

Yea so looks like till I get the money my tank is going to be a piece of junk. Man ths sucks. And I have horrable filtration to I only have HOB filters I have to wait for money to finish my sump also

If you have any livestock I'd recommend to maybe bring them over to any lfs see if they can hold them for you until you get a unit - this way you dont lose out on any money you already spent

Are you cleaning you HOBs regularly? Could you be over feeding?

Are there any places (like Walmart or outside a gas station) that have the big water ( and sometimes ice) dispensers? Those are usually inexpensive (all places around me are 25cents per gallon) and I believe they are usually at least RO. It's gotta be better than tap.

I'm not sure I'd start giving away fish just because of algae. Everyone gets it at some point in time. As long as your parameters are in check, things should be okay.

Yea I'm testing every Sunday my params are ok. I just bought the PVC for my overflow so my sump is underway. It may be because the tank is basicly all new water except from the ten gallons from my old tank. It's actually not as bad I I see some people it's not even close. I'll just use my saltwater conditioner for now and then let the water sit for like a week.

Elykreefs97 said:
Yea I'm testing every Sunday my params are ok. I just bought the PVC for my overflow so my sump is underway. It may be because the tank is basicly all new water except from the ten gallons from my old tank. It's actually not as bad I I see some people it's not even close. I'll just use my saltwater conditioner for now and then let the water sit for like a week.

How often should I clean my HOB filters.

I have like 8 of these will these work

Attachments

• image-1246622365.jpg
    image-1246622365.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 81
I've heard HOBs should be cleaned weekly or they start to become nitrate factories.

Distilled is what you want. Im not sure Spring water has any RODI in its processing. In my grocery stores, distilled is usually about a buck a gallon. The big dispensers where you bring your own containers are usually about 25 cents a gallon. They are outside most of my local gas stations and most grocery stores. That is what I use and I've had minimal algae. I try to get my water close to when they have been serviced.

I'm not sure. Maybe someone else can pitch in here? I would think it could not be any worse than tap, but I'm not sure how much better.

I also put conditioner it. I just sold my RC car for 200 do I can go buy an RoDI unit. This one look any good bc I dont want to spend all my money on one. It's the 65 dollar one.

Looks ok, anythings better than tap, if your building your own sump try to design in a turf scrubber,it's inexpensive and the one I put in is really helping clean up my tank

Well for my sump I'm using a DIY overflow 1inch PVC with a maxijet 1200 as my return it's going to be 10 gallons with a bubble trap at the beginning. I put plans up of it on one of my threads if you could go scheck it out bc no one did. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom