this forum saved me money and aggrevation....i think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve r

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i am setting up a new saltwater tank. 29 gallon, 40lbs live sand, 40 lbs live rock from liverocks.com. after much reading on this forum i am returning my unused ,unopened red sea prism skimmer. my new aqua c remora ( with maxijet 1200 ) will be here on friday. i think this was the right move. thanks to the forum for helping unscramble ( at least for now) the massive amount of choices with a new tank.

i will be around with many more questions............

steve r

good move on returning the Prizm. I wish I would've sent mine back in the first place instead of saying "oh surely it'll work...it can't be that bad."

It is.

To save some even more money, I think that the prepackaged LS is junk. You would be better off just buying some playsand, as discussed in many other threads, and letting the LR seed it or perhaps getting a cup of sand from a local reefer.

you cant win them all :) . it looks pretty cool. little chunks of shells and what not. is there anything bad about the prepackaged sand other than the price?

steve

RogerMcAllen said:
To save some even more money, I think that the prepackaged LS is junk.
Thats why I asked, I agree. The sand itself is good sand. But, IMO, it's a waste of money as it really dosen't constitute truely Live Sand, IMO. There won't be any copepods etc and I highly doubt there will be any bacteria as I don't see how it could survive in an unheated, sealed bag for weeks or months.

But if you've already bought it, don't fret. It won't cause any harm, and will eventually be populated by the pods in your LR. We were just trying to save you a few more of those all important greenbacks!

Keep us updated on your tank!

With the Carib Sea prepackaged live sand, you do not have to rinse it. That is almost worth the extra cost right there :D

I paid $38 for a 20 pound bag of Carib Sea Arag-Alive "live" sand. I can not really complain, the texture of the sand was exactly what I wanted, and I did not have to rinse it at all. It has some neat little bits in it that would not normally be in playsand too. My tank did cycle pretty quickly as well, possibly because of the sand.

For a large tank, I do not see myself buying sand at $38/20 pounds though 8O

Back
Top Bottom