Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-23-2003, 01:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to alarmguy66 Send a message via Yahoo to alarmguy66
This is defying everything Ive read - any ideas?

Ok trying to cycle this tank and Im not getting anywhere, or am I?

I posted about 6 days ago with this, here is an update. tank is 17 days into its life now. Used straight well water to fill the tank, immediatly had Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrate present in fairly small quantities. Currently the ammonia has dropped to 0, but never went high to start with(.25). Nitrites are 0, nut never went over .1 during this time. Nitrates started at 2.5, went to 0 for a week, now came back up to 2.5 today. Where in the world am I at in the cycling process?

I put 2 damsels into the tank on day 2. (Ive been chastized already, no need to further that) They have thrived the entire time and are very happy. Not the best friends ever, but I didnt expect them to be. 3 days ago (with no noticable increase in any readings) I added 2 firefish, 1 Blue Gold Chromis, 2 hermits and a turbo snail. I read the firefish and chromis would be hardy, so I figured I would add some load to the tank to kick the cycle harder. 2 days later the ammonia rose, now back to 0 on day 3 (2 readings, morning and night). Ph is 8.2, temp 83, sal 1.024.

Bubbles have developed in my substrate, which Ive read is good. I can see them through the glass and the occassional rise through the substrate. I have a film on the surface, so I need to start running a skimmer soon, but Im confused about where I stand.

55 gal FO
40 lb crushed coral gravel, 40 lb fine samoa pink sand on top of that, 20 lb of "live" sand (store bought) sprinkled on top of that. Substrate base has hills and valleys, ranging from 2" to 5" in depth (looks better and gives more surface area for sand). 1 300 gph ph, 30/60 power filter which has been running the entire time. no other filtration.

I seek your wisdom.

Old 11-23-2003, 02:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
Either of 2 things....you are one of the lucky few whose tank cycled overnight, or your tank hasn't really started to cycle in which case you may lose some fish and/or snails.

Old 11-23-2003, 09:33 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Your tank is going along fine. The ammonia levels your seeing are fairly safe in the short run. Continue to run your tank like you have been and remember to only add one or two fish at a time and only after the ammonia and nitrite have been at zerio for a period of time.

The reason they are increasing when you add more bioload is because your ammonia biofilter is still young and its growing in capacity as you add bioload. Technicly your still within the cycle period and the rise of the ammonia levels when you add another fish reflect this.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 05:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I will not anything for another 14 days at least, then it will be a small amount of locally purchased live rock and a couple more crabs. I want to establish as much of a bacteria base as possible before I make a large live rock purchase from Liverocks.com. Until then I will continue to monitor the levels in the tank. Eventually I want to add a Tang and a goby (nothing more), but I want the tank to be stable and have a good live rock base before I get any more fish. Im still confused about the levels but I guess as long as nothing is going toxic Im ok.
Old 11-23-2003, 06:11 PM   #5
cj10488

I would suggest that if you are going to do a LR purchase you do it all from Liverocks.com.. With being where you are and how they ship it you will most likely not experience much Die-off.. I personally think you would experience more Die-off from your locally purchased LR.. A good Idea is to add all LR at once.. From personal Experience my Levels never really climbed to a high level when I added the LR from them and everything has been great since.. Plus it will be MUCH MUCH cheaper than buying locally.. I know my LR came out to like $3.80 or so per pound shipped all the way to Portland, Oregon.. About as far as one could have it shipped...

HTH<
James
Old 11-28-2003, 07:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, my major purchase of Live rock will be from LIVEROCKS.COM. I just bought two small pieces locally, straight out of the shipping box (the guy opened it in front of me). My hitchhiker total was a whopping ONE featherduster. The rock created a major nitrite spike too (didnt cure it, was only 3 lbs). At least now I know my test kits work

I did the math and to Virginia it will be 4.5 dollars per pound, still $1.50 cheaper than locally. I wonder why it was cheaper to ship it to Oregon?

Who would have thought I'd look forward to getting rocks for x-mas?
Old 11-28-2003, 07:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Smonkey15 Send a message via MSN to Smonkey15
yea, i am also getting rock for christmas. sounds so lame to everyone else, but i am so excited!
steve

Figuring out how to keep my fish healthy is like the pethagorean theorem; there is no solution.
Smonkey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 08:14 PM   #8
cj10488

actually it came out to like 4.42 per pound Sorry bad Guess at the price lol

James
Old 11-28-2003, 10:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Zack
Shipping by DHL is same to dhl shipping zones for liverocks.com
Zack
www.liverocks.com
Zack@aquariumadvice.com

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com