Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-22-2004, 10:17 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

As Logan said...
I wouldn't add anything else until the cycle has finished. The diatoms will go away in time...it's a rare tank that doesn't have them at first. Also, don't worry about the aiptasias until the cycle has finished. Then get some "Joes Juice" and kill them. Very quick, easy, and works great. Remember...nothing good happens fast in a reef tank...give it 48-72 more DAYS before you decide it's too much trouble.
Every one here has been through this. I bolded the best advice I've ever received here, in Logan's quote above.

I started by buying everything the lfs sold me as a 'package' deal. THEN I found AA. I had just started cycling my tank so I removed all the cc and replaced it with a dsb, added base and lr. Had a cloud that lasted a week before I could see the rock again. Went through a couple of blooms and cyno outbreaks. Kept reading this forum and learning. It's a year later and now my FOWLR is about to become a reef tank.

I looked at your profile and noticed your occupation. Dream about what your tank WILL be in time.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 02:59 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to Cesspool Send a message via MSN to Cesspool
i agree with every1, wait it out. when i started my first tank with my lil bro over a year ago i waited 2 whole months b4 i but fish in. (used the shrimp method). first the tank reeked from the shrimp den it had scads of nasty gunk growing all the place which was very unpleasent. it was a 155 bow in high trafic area which made it even worse!!! we waited it out and everthing turned out pretty good. just give it some time. u cant build a house in a day and wat ure trying to do is set up a whole ecosystem, i garentee the wait will b well worth it

life is good
Cesspool is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com