This is what I got. Have some questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I picked up a 58G Oceanic tank today with stand and it has been drilled. It came with a 20G tank he used for a sump. Is this a good setup to use? Im not really sure what I want to do yet. Probably either reef or FOWLR dunno. Maybe even fish only haha. Anyway here is some crappy cell pics of the setup so far.

14jnqdk.jpg

2gt6dyf.jpg

2i1b3s.jpg

Looks good to me. Clean it with a vinegar/water solution and rinse afterwords. If there are any calcium/hard water buildups toward the top/ wet the glass and start to scrape with a razor blade (you may need a few as they dull fast). If you are going to go reef, by the looks of how deep that tank is, you WILL need metal halides, at least a 250w (number of bulbs needed depends on length of tank, if it's 36", you will need 1 bulb, maybe two, if 48" 2 bulbs). HTH.

The wattage of the bulb was just my guess, the experts may have a better choice for you.

thats good~ and yes follow thom's way to wash the tanks.
and 58gal is a good start for reef I believe. ^^
Hope to see more update soon

I already cleaned it with vinegar and rinsed as well as I could. Hard to see in the cell pics but it looks pretty good. Not sure what is on the back of the tank. Its like hard large grains of sand. Maybe coral of some kind? This was a well established reef tank at one time.

no clue, an expert will know, i just had the same stuff on my 150,which used to be a reef tank... i scraped it off, but mine is a fw tank, not sure if thats something you want to keep or not though

ok so is a 20G sump a good idea? Can i get some how-to's on how to set it up for this tank?

Ok well I scraped all the old coaline algae off and it looks much better :) I will look into the sump link. Thanks!

u have a build in overflow, right?
so all u need is a return pump and some PVC pipes, I m putting my sump together right now, its really not that hard when u try. XD
I thought its hard at first, but now I got everything in my hand, it easy haha

does your 20gal sump tank has divider?
if not get some glass piece from Home depot or other local store, use silicone to make the divider.

No its just a regular 20G tank. I made a 10G sump setup before but never used it. Im sure I will need help haha.

ok so I am not sure how this overflow works... Can someone help me out? Here is some pics...

From top...

33o4rgh.jpg

From bottom...

2mxle1j.jpg

It's a durso, which makes the overflow fill up to the mid-point of the elbow and quietly spill through the drain. There should be another on the other side unless that was used for a return line.

It's a durso, which makes the overflow fill up to the mid-point of the elbow and quietly spill through the drain. There should be another on the other side unless that was used for a return line.

Still confused lol. What do I need to do to plumb this? Im not against doing it a different way.

Back
Top Bottom