this is what i got, what do i need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok i have a penguin 125b filter and a 100 watt heater and i was looking at setting up a 10 or 15 gallon tank. i was talking to the lfs which happens to be big als for me and they said that all i need is the tank and light. now i was gonna make my own light which would be a triple 18" t8 light strip becasue i want to grow some corals. i have no knowledge of keeping saltwater but i do know that bigger is better but unfortunatly i cant afford bigger. i dont mind the maintence that it involves because i keep all live planted tanks which is more work than saltwater lol. so what do i need besides the filter, heater, lights and tank? will i need a powerhead or will the biowheel filter move the water enough? thanks in advance.
ps i am sure this has been asked a million times but when u search for a thread it comes up with wayyyyy to many posts.

You need 15-20 times your tank in flow for corals. (150-200GPH for a 10 gal etc.) Mechanical filtration is not as good as LR in SW. A 2nd heater is a good idea for redundancy. Do not forget test kits, and a hydrometer or refractometer. You will need NH3, NO2, NO3, Alk, PH, CA test kits to start with. They make marine basic kits that have all those included.

i was planning on about 20 pounds of live rock in a 15 gal. i have a freshwater master test kit that has kh3 no2 no3 and ph but i will need to buy alk and ca, will these test kits work in saltwater aswell? i will also need to pick up a refractometer or hydrometer(whichever is cheaper lol) i was thinking an anenome(dont know if that is spelt right) and some different mushroom varieties, possible a sun polyp(have heard these done need as high of light) what would my light be considered with 3(or 4) 18" t8 bulbs? i think they are 15 watts a peice but i am not sure if the wattage changes when u buy 50/50 bulbs. thanks again and sorry for all the newbie questions, i am pro at freshwater but this stuff confuses me lol.

anyone? i want to try to set this up in the next month or so so it can start cycling but i need your guys help. thanks in advance

When wanting to start a saltwater aquarium, first of all keep in mind that there is no one right way to do it. However, although your options are open and you can choose to set up a system anyway you like, it is recommended to take the time to research and learn all you can about saltwater aquarium keeping, prior to jumping in.
This is a wise decision because it will help you to be better prepared to start and care for your aquarium and the marine life you decide to keep in it, BEFORE you go out and buy anything. It also helps you avoid a no-clue or shot-in-the-dark approach, which can be quite frustrating for a beginning saltwater hobbyist.
When you are making plans for setting up a new saltwater aquarium, one of the phases of this process is to decide what types of fish, crustaceans, corals and invertebrates you might like to put in it when the time comes to add livestock. The simplest way to do this is to start by making a livestock species "wish-list", which can be used to then put together a suitable group or community of animals for your aquarium.

Suggested Reading
10 Easy Corals for a New Reef Tank

Reef Safe Fish List

Fish & Invertebrate Care Topics Index

Saltwater Aquarium Secret
Ebook on how to save money, time and hassle finally available!
TropicalFishSecrets.com

Fish.Best4Sites.net

hope this helps....Never to much reading the more you learn from our mistakes the better off you will be.

where would i find all these things u suggested to read? i love reading and learning new things but i dont know where to look. for stocking i was thinking just a single clown with an anenome for him whatever species is most suitable for a small tank. and then whatever mushrooms that my lfs has available. also what are the light rating in saltwater? what is considered low and high light becasue i know this is quite different from fresh. 1 watt per gallon is low and 4 is considered high. what light is required for an anenome? i have looked at a few sites but they are all rated using the high low system so i am lost. i have heard that mushrooms dont need much light. i planned on using the crushed coral as a substrate then 20 pounds of live rock i think figi... what are the other kinds? my lfs has a big selection and i forget the type he said. thanks again for suffering through another newbie question.

what light is required for an anenome?
around 5WPG
planned on using the crushed coral as a substrate
Sand is a much better choice. It will not trap food and cause your NO3 levels to go high.
i have heard that mushrooms dont need much light
Mushrooms require light to survive. They do not need as much as most corals but still need considerable light. If you plan on having a anemone just place it closer to the top and put the mushrooms on the bottom. If you can get aquacultured LR I would suggest it.
Information to help you: Anemone's should not be added to your tank until it has been up for at least 9 months. You could add mushrooms sooner but give your tank time to "establish" before adding any corals. The clown would be fine as a first fish just without the anemone. Sun polyps do not require light but do require target feedings around twice a week. Same with other corals though let your tank get established and mature a little before adding corals. They are not as forgiving as fish when it comes to water fluctuations.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/search/default.cfm

1. Ricordea Mushroom, Gold/Orange (Caribbean)
(Ricordea florida)

2. Ricordea Mushroom, Blue/Green (Caribbean)
(Ricordea florida)

3. Flower / Ricordea Mushroom, Purple
(Ricordea yuma)
Indo-Pacific

4. Flower / Ricordea Mushroom, Green
(Ricordea yuma)
Indo-Pacific

5. Mushroom Coral, Super Red
(Actinodiscus sp.)
Indonesia

6. Assorted Colored Mushroom
(Actinodiscus sp.)
Indo-Pacific, South Pacific

7. Green Mushroom
(Rhodactis sp.)
Indonesia

8. Silver Gorgonian
(Muricea sp.)
Caribbean

9. Flower / Ricordea Mushroom, Orange Spotted (Pacific)
(Actinodiscus sp.)
Indonesia

10. Elephant Ear Mushroom
(Rhodactis mussoides)
Indo-Pacific

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/lightslightingsetups/

http://www.petplace.com/fish/lighting-your-saltwater-
aquarium/page1.aspx

http://www.reefgeek.com/categories/lighting.html

copy paste link in your browser than go.......or enter.

Back
Top Bottom