Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-16-2006, 10:52 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

A 15g tall tank is 20x10x18. I believe your tank stand is 18wx24hx48d. Looks like your sump is getting smaller and smaller in my mind.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 05:23 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
ya, how bout a ten gallon? i've got extras laying around. How would i go abouts setting it up and everything in it? I might be able to use a 25 or 29, cant remember what it is, but thats got a baby red ear slider turtle in it that is hopefully moving into the small pool for him soon.

and as far as hang on overflows (my tanks not drilled ), i'm looking on ebay right now, and i'll put a few links to ones that i'm interested in. I'd like to know also if they are reliable and safe, because that would really suck if my room flooded.

heres a couple....

think these would be ok for a 55? also, what return pump would i use?

sir_dudeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:08 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
To be honest if your going to use a 10 gal which you would only be able to fill about half way for overflow protection I wouldn’t even bother considering the cost of adding an overflow and pump.

The 6 gal added to your total water volume isn’t going to really help much and a HOB refugium would be about the same volume and less hassle and $$$.

Why do you want a sump? Is it for added filtration or to place a sump skimmer in?

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:25 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
well the reason i'm interested in a sump is for both actually, filtration and skimmer (and heater too). I reallize that 10 was kinda small, i just thought i'd ask becuase i've already got them. I'm sure i could find a used tank or something local too for cheap that i could use.

Do either of those overflows look any good tho?

and how do i do a hob fuge? is it just like a hob filter with other stuff in it? And what should i put in? Live rock? or just algae? And i saw those on that link that you put, and they look pretty simple to make so i might go that way, but prolly just buy one

thanks again
sir_dudeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:48 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm interested in comments on the 2nd box. I was considering that very model. It's a Jebo brand. Also available at aquatraders.com

7 month old 100 gallon. Hopefully on my way to a great reef tank. A few small fish and a few small soft corals. T5 HO Lights and ro/di unit.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com