this sump any good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, that is really more of a wet/dry filter as oppossed to a sump. With some easy modification it could be turned into more of a working sump. I would remove the white tray that the bioballs sit on and fill up the container with LR rubble (skip the bio-balls). Increase the water level so that the LR rubble is completley submerged and you are in business.

do i remove the thing that the tray sits on? or is there anything? it looks like there might be.
and when you say fill the container w/lr rubble, do you mean the compartment on the left?

and wehre would the return pump go? I'm guessing the left? And what all would i put in this sump? i'd like to replace my fluval, but i'm not sure what all to put in it. I'd try to get a skimmer on one part (again, where do i put that? would i take the lid off the right and just have it in that part?) and i'd definatly put my stinkin heater in it...i cant stand seeing my heater in my tank, cuz its so big and the color stands out lol.

thanks

This wet/dry is a bit different then mine, but check my gallery to see what I have done.

Unless you have a custom 55 gal stand I can’t see that sump fitting in your stand. It’s got to be 15+” wide if it’s a 25 gal sump designed for a 120 gal tank.

ya, my stand is just regular i think...it does however sit pretty far from the wall, like 6 inches or so, and its got an open back to it. I dont think that i'd get this one, but how would i go about setting one up, as far as what to put in it?

Also is your tank already set up with water? If so you will have to either drain it and move or get it through the front doors.

oh, good thinkin about the front door thing...it might not fit, and i definately dont wanna drain it. As for the dimensions i'll have to measure them when i get home from school today, cause i gotta buy a tape measurer.

Eventually i plan to slowly switch to reef, as i get the money. Right now i only have the money for a FO.

Unusually the front doors are roughly only 10” wide by 24+” high so getting anything through the front is not going to be easy. Draining is a pain but doable if you have a light stock load.

A 15g tall tank is 20x10x18. I believe your tank stand is 18wx24hx48d. Looks like your sump is getting smaller and smaller in my mind.

ya, how bout a ten gallon? i've got extras laying around. How would i go abouts setting it up and everything in it? I might be able to use a 25 or 29, cant remember what it is, but thats got a baby red ear slider turtle in it that is hopefully moving into the small pool for him soon.

and as far as hang on overflows (my tanks not drilled :( ), i'm looking on ebay right now, and i'll put a few links to ones that i'm interested in. I'd like to know also if they are reliable and safe, because that would really suck if my room flooded.

heres a couple....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aquarium-Overfl...767014707QQcategoryZ46310QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Continuous-...766175918QQcategoryZ46310QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

think these would be ok for a 55? also, what return pump would i use?

thanks

To be honest if your going to use a 10 gal which you would only be able to fill about half way for overflow protection I wouldn’t even bother considering the cost of adding an overflow and pump.

The 6 gal added to your total water volume isn’t going to really help much and a HOB refugium would be about the same volume and less hassle and $$$.

Why do you want a sump? Is it for added filtration or to place a sump skimmer in?

well the reason i'm interested in a sump is for both actually, filtration and skimmer (and heater too). I reallize that 10 was kinda small, i just thought i'd ask becuase i've already got them. I'm sure i could find a used tank or something local too for cheap that i could use.

Do either of those overflows look any good tho?

and how do i do a hob fuge? is it just like a hob filter with other stuff in it? And what should i put in? Live rock? or just algae? And i saw those on that link that you put, and they look pretty simple to make so i might go that way, but prolly just buy one

thanks again

I'm interested in comments on the 2nd box. I was considering that very model. It's a Jebo brand. Also available at aquatraders.com

Back
Top Bottom