Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2003, 03:21 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to toddwess
Okay, so just thinking out loud, why don't I just buy a big bucket, put a 1200gph pump at the bottom and hook it up to my tank? Why spend $399 for these big wet/dry setup?

Do they serve no real purpose?

Todd

Old 11-07-2003, 03:47 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Ya you could do that. I mean get a rubbermaid tub or a smaller size tank. My sump is a 30 gal tank. You want enough room to put your heaters and skimmer, etc in/on the sump. A 5 gal bucket with a pump in it wont surve you much purpose because of the small volume of the bucket in compairson to your main tank but I would say a 20-30gal sump would be great for your 90gal setup. Sumps dont have to be clear acyrlic with mutliple chambers.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 07:43 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I appreciate your patience with all my questions, but why won't the 5 gallon bucket work? There is no material in there, right?

What is the difference between an empty 5 gallon bucket and an empty 30 gallon bucket under the tank?

I promise, I'm not being beligerant - I just want to understand! Thanks for your help!

Todd
Old 11-07-2003, 07:49 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
What is the difference between an empty 5 gallon bucket and an empty 30 gallon bucket under the tank?
Volume.

Putting a pump, heaters and hanging a skimmer and maybe a UV unit plus having your drain lines all in a 5 gal bucket will probably net you 3 gal of actual water before its so full that you overfill the bucket when you power off the pump and some of the water back fills into the sump.

Dont forget you need to provide room for the water that is in your retrurn lines and your drain lines when you power off teh pump or the pump goes off due to a power outage. The overflows wil continue to run till water is below the fringes and the return lines will back syphon uniless you put a one way flap valve in place or you drill some air bleeder holes just below the water surface. But if you do that you will still have the water that is in the plumbing flowing back down into the sump.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 07:52 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
You could use a 5 gallon bucket if you wanted. But you sure won't have much room in it especially once you put the heater, skimmer, GAC (if used) sump pump, overflow pipe, etc... in it. Hell, by the time you are done you may have displaced 2-3 gallons of water and now have a 2 gallon sump that is crammed full of equipment.

It is better to buy bigger sumps so that you give yourself more room and increase the water volume of the system as well. If you are only going to increase the water volume of the system by 3-4 gallons with a 5 gallon bucket, I don't think it would even be worth the effort of building a sump.

Sumps don't have to be elaborate. I purchased a 15 gallon rubbermaid container from Wal-Mart for $3.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:54 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Beat me by 3 minutes...

Old 11-07-2003, 08:32 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggen
Sumps don't have to be elaborate. I purchased a 15 gallon rubbermaid container from Wal-Mart for $3.
So you don't have a filter on your system? You only have this rubermaid container from Wal-Mart?

Why do people keep buying these terribly expensive wet/dry systems if all they need is big bucket? I just feel like I'm missing something . . .

Todd
Old 11-07-2003, 08:47 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
So you don't have a filter on your system? You only have this rubermaid container from Wal-Mart?
Tis, correct. My system is setup using the Berlin method style of filtration which basically requires LR, LS, good water flow, and strong lighting.

We have an article written just for this method of filtration in our articles section. Go here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=10

Quote:
Why do people keep buying these terribly expensive wet/dry systems if all they need is big bucket? I just feel like I'm missing something . . .
Those are mainly for FO setups. The end result of all those wet/dry filters is nitrates. In a FO system this isn't a big deal unless they get too high (i.e. >50 ppm). On the other hand, in a reef tank, one needs to keep nitrates extremely low (i.e. <5 ppm). Using the Berlin method coupled with a DSB keep those pesky nitrates down to a minimum.

If all you wanted to keep where fish (lots of fish) than a wet/dry would be your best bet. Nothing really matches their power of hording bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrite and then nitrite to nitrate. But if you want a reef tank, you need something a little more subtile.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:01 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

OH! I forgot all about FO systems.

Y'all have really been very patient with me, but I got a TON of great information here today.

Thanks so much!! I think I'll be going with the Berlin method as well! And I'm SOOOOO glad I don't have to buy a $400 wet/dry filter.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 11-07-2003, 10:18 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to astride13
One thing I saw wrong with the diagram that I wanted to point out. The "Pump to Remove Water" will not be able to prime unless you put both ends of the hose under water. If you do that and both tanks (main and "tub for rejected water") water levels are not at the same exact height, you will get a siphon in the lower direction. The best place to put the "Pump to Remove Water" is in your sump.

Tags
90 gallon, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com