Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

How does this look for the first cuc to go in my tank. Keep I'm mind that I'm about to knish my cycle.( about .5ppm nitrite left and then the water change)

(15) Florida cerith
(10) empty hermit shells
(15) dwarf cerith
(10) assorted hermits
(10) large nerite snails
(5) small-medium nerite snails
(3) turbos
(10) nassarius snails
(1) tennis ball sized chaeto

Old 07-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

In my unprofessional opinion I say that's still too many. They need algae and stuff to live. Your tank is just cycled. I'm guessing you have no algae issues or such... They will just starve.

I'd cut that list in half.

A CUC is just that. I learned that you need all that for a new tank. Like I said I'm no professional but that's opinion on it.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
You will have to add meaty food to the tank for the nassarius- they are not algae eaters. I wouldn't buy any of that. You don't really need a cleanup crew. Go to your lfs and buy one or two of each because you like to watch them and have diversity in the tank, but more eating, pooping, critters won't help with algae problems, and they definitely won't keep your glass clean.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank of the Month Award

I waited 6 weeks before adding my cuc. 25% of what was recommended. As far as the Nassarius snails they will clear detritus, uneaten food, decaying organics, and fish waste. They also help maintain adequate oxygen levels in the substrate as they burrow and sift through the sand. I keep about 30 in my tank now. For my tank a cuc has been essential. I have a heavy bio load. My cuc crew doesn't add to it, they help balance it. Tanks have personality IMO. Start slow, be patient. It's part the tank build process.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it were me I would add a couple of each at a time until I was around 10 hermits 20-25 nassarius snails a cleaner shrimp or two and maybe a couple turbos (they are big and clumsy so tend to knock things over) but that's just my personal preference because in all honesty a well kept tank doesn't need a single part of a cuc its more there for you
Old 07-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Personally I would not get the hermits, even with empty shells, they will kill your snails for their shells.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
Personally I would not get the hermits, even with empty shells, they will kill your snails for their shells.
Not always but you should expect a few casualties here and there but any cuc needs replenished periodically
Old 07-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858

Not always but you should expect a few casualties here and there but any cuc needs replenished periodically
But any casualties are a waste and unnecessary. What will the assorted hermits do that the snails can't. If you really like hermits...go for it and expect some casualties, but if your not dead set on them...skip them all together.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69

But any casualties are a waste and unnecessary. What will the assorted hermits do that the snails can't. If you really like hermits...go for it and expect some casualties, but if your not dead set on them...skip them all together.
That's kind of my point the entire cuc is unnecessary but the OP seems to want the natural reef look with a variety of inverts so I gave my choice on selection
Old 07-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for all your input guys. I'll check back on this thread when I'm ready to buy them

Tags
cuc

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com