Thoughts on cuc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Antec

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking about ordering this cuc from reefcleaners. What are your thoughts? Anything I should add or remove? Keeping in mind I'm going to be have a reef aquarium

50 Dwarf Ceriths
29 Nassarius
30 Florida Ceriths
8 Limpets
25 Assorted Hermits
19 Large Nerite and 10 Small to Medium Nerites

Antec said:
I'm thinking about ordering this cuc from reefcleaners. What are your thoughts? Anything I should add or remove? Keeping in mind I'm going to be have a reef aquarium

50 Dwarf Ceriths
29 Nassarius
30 Florida Ceriths
8 Limpets
25 Assorted Hermits
19 Large Nerite and 10 Small to Medium Nerites

Did they custom make that crew for you? What size is your tank? Are you having issues with algae?

I feel they tend to go overboard IMO. I had them come up with a CUC for my BC29 and the crew was huge!! I never ordered from them and just built my own crew half the size.

Convict2161 said:
Did they custom make that crew for you? What size is your tank? Are you having issues with algae?

I feel they tend to go overboard IMO. I had them come up with a CUC for my BC29 and the crew was huge!! I never ordered from them and just built my own crew half the size.

Yeah usually they over do it a little too much. Forgetting what size your tank is. Ive always felt the nerites and ceriths to be pretty useless. I always see them on their backs and turbos or Astrea's take care of algae better in my opinion.

Yes, they custom made that crew for me.I have a 90g and it's just about to finish cycling so as of now, haven't really seen any algae, bur again I don't have lights.

So what size crew would u guys recommend?

I'm no professional but unless your having some serious algae issues you cut that by more then half. I'll try and find the old email of the CUC they built for me. It's almost like yours! lol.

So cut each of them by half? Should I add some turbos? Anything else I should add?

And another question, should I put any of the cuc in the fuge?

I would not add all that at the beginning either. Either half or less than that IMO. If there was that much algea in the tank it would soon be eaten up and then alot of them would starve.

So I should add half of what they told me or half of the half in the beginning?

For that size tank I would just do half period. That size tank should never need that many. Many would starve to death.

How does this look for the first cuc to go in my tank. Keep I'm mind that I'm about to knish my cycle.( about .5ppm nitrite left and then the water change)

(15) Florida cerith
(10) empty hermit shells
(15) dwarf cerith
(10) assorted hermits
(10) large nerite snails
(5) small-medium nerite snails
(3) turbos
(10) nassarius snails
(1) tennis ball sized chaeto

In my unprofessional opinion I say that's still too many. They need algae and stuff to live. Your tank is just cycled. I'm guessing you have no algae issues or such... They will just starve.

I'd cut that list in half.

A CUC is just that. I learned that you need all that for a new tank. Like I said I'm no professional but that's opinion on it.

You will have to add meaty food to the tank for the nassarius- they are not algae eaters. I wouldn't buy any of that. You don't really need a cleanup crew. Go to your lfs and buy one or two of each because you like to watch them and have diversity in the tank, but more eating, pooping, critters won't help with algae problems, and they definitely won't keep your glass clean.

I waited 6 weeks before adding my cuc. 25% of what was recommended. As far as the Nassarius snails they will clear detritus, uneaten food, decaying organics, and fish waste. They also help maintain adequate oxygen levels in the substrate as they burrow and sift through the sand. I keep about 30 in my tank now. For my tank a cuc has been essential. I have a heavy bio load. My cuc crew doesn't add to it, they help balance it. Tanks have personality IMO. Start slow, be patient. It's part the tank build process.

If it were me I would add a couple of each at a time until I was around 10 hermits 20-25 nassarius snails a cleaner shrimp or two and maybe a couple turbos (they are big and clumsy so tend to knock things over) but that's just my personal preference because in all honesty a well kept tank doesn't need a single part of a cuc its more there for you

reefrunner69 said:
Personally I would not get the hermits, even with empty shells, they will kill your snails for their shells.

Not always but you should expect a few casualties here and there but any cuc needs replenished periodically

Mrc8858 said:
Not always but you should expect a few casualties here and there but any cuc needs replenished periodically

But any casualties are a waste and unnecessary. What will the assorted hermits do that the snails can't. If you really like hermits...go for it and expect some casualties, but if your not dead set on them...skip them all together.

reefrunner69 said:
But any casualties are a waste and unnecessary. What will the assorted hermits do that the snails can't. If you really like hermits...go for it and expect some casualties, but if your not dead set on them...skip them all together.

That's kind of my point the entire cuc is unnecessary but the OP seems to want the natural reef look with a variety of inverts so I gave my choice on selection

Thanks for all your input guys. I'll check back on this thread when I'm ready to buy them

Back
Top Bottom