Thoughts on glass tops and return pumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimlafeiet

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What is everyone's thoughs on glass tops for your reef tanks? I currently have my tank open top, with an open top canopy. I am finding my canopy more and more difficult to use, and am probably going to remove it for the time being.
That said, I will need a top for the tank for possible future jumpers, and to control airborne stuff getting in the tank (I have a cat with lots of fur, lol).
I am considering a glass top, mostly to help with evaporation, as I don't have an ato, and I am currently topping off twice a day, which is a PITA. Will this greatly affect air exchange to the point where it is not doable? I have a koralia nano pointed upward which creates a good amount of surface aggitation. Not sure wheather I should go with egg crate or mesh top if I dont go with glass, I want something that does it's job, but also looks semi decent, since I will be losing my pretty finished canopy look.

Also, I want to get a return pump to pump the water from the bucket up to the tank during my water changes. Lifting these buckets is doing wonders on my back, ugh.
Tank stands at about 51 inches tall from the floor, so I need something that will pump that high, but just enough to do the job. That is the only purpose this pump with serve. Ideas, suggestions? I would like to get it ordered today in hopes of having it by the weekend.

dont do glass lids. not only do they trap heat, they cut down on air/water gas exchange, block light by a decent amount, and get dirty insanely quick. lowe's or home depot sell the necessary materials to make mesh screens. plus not to mention that the mesh lids are more secure than glass lids that have open spaces in the back.i made 3 for my 125 and it cost less than $30. looks 100x better on the tank compared to glass lids. also id look into a mag 5 pump for return. not quite sure what the headloss is at 5 feet but if its not strong enough, a mag 7 should work

I have a glass top on my 20g reef and don't mind it at all. It does however need a weekly cleaning to get the dust off as huma mentioned. When I added it my top offs were dropped by approx 30% when compared to open top so if topping off is an issue for you I would say go for it as long as you have a refugium to help with the air exchange. Without a refugium I would be worried about the oxygen issues like Huma stated.

Mebbid, what kind of fuge do you use on your system? I have an AC50 and all the parts needed to turn it into an hob fuge, but just have not gotten that far yet. I have been holding off, debating weather to add an overflow box and sump to my setup, in lieu of the canister/in tank skimmer setup I currently have.
Would that ac50 create enough oxygen exchange to use a glass lid?

Mebbid, what kind of fuge do you use on your system? I have an AC50 and all the parts needed to turn it into an hob fuge, but just have not gotten that far yet. I have been holding off, debating weather to add an overflow box and sump to my setup, in lieu of the canister/in tank skimmer setup I currently have.
Would that ac50 create enough oxygen exchange to use a glass lid?

I have a 10g refugium under my tank. If you can I would definitely add an overflow and refugium under the tank rather than modding a hob filter. However the filter should help offset the oxygen exchange with using a glass lid.

Is your tank drilled? If no, what overflow are you using? I have been looking at overflows, but jus tnot sure what the best option is out there. This tank is in our bedroom too, so noise is a definite factor in all of this, lol

Durso are notvas good as a stockman stand pipe silencer imo. YouTube stockman standpipe and away you go, silence!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom