Thoughts on this set-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twestrope

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to saltwater and looking at purchasing a 100-125 gal set-up maybe a package deal to keep it simple for me. A LFS has the following:

130 gal acrylic 48x24x32 (Acrylic Design)
4x96, 2 actinics
ASM G1
Oceanrunner 3500
sump
stand and canopy for $1,500

I know the pros/cons of acrylic over glass.
I plan to start out as a FWLR with adequate LR and 3-4" of LS
Is this tank too deep?
Anything missing from this set-up?
Any concerns about the pump or skimmer?

I have not actually looked at it yet.

Thanks for the input.

i would probably go with the next size up skimmer. i have the ASM G1X on my 75g. for a tank that size you will also want a few power heads to keep the flow good. the depth will be a little hard to work with for you. trying to reach the bottom of the tank will be a challenge. also when you eventually go with corals 400w MH will be neeed to penetrate that depth. i would say more specific info would be needed to offer you better advice

also dont forget heaters and with a tank of that size the amount of evaporation you will experience would call for a RO/DI filter in your house unless you really want to haul a ton of water from the grocery store

steve r

what type of fish are you looking at? IMO if your looking at tangs you would be better with a 6' tank. I agree with Steve about needing MH lights if you go reef.

I plan on getting a RO/DI unit. Probably one off of eBay that I have heard people mention.

As far as fish I am thinking of a tang, clowns, butterfly ... but I need to do better research to enure compatability and ensure the tank set up works.

I was thinking the depth of the tank may not be practical for cleaning and maintenance as well as present issues down the road if I went on to corals.

twestrope, you may wish to look into a 2x400 12-14k setup instead. If you are going to go all out with a 130g, might as well spend a bit more money to go all out. You will be much happier IMO in the long run. Also, look into getting a few titanium heaters with an external temp adjuster.

Since you plan on going with a sump, I would make sure I get plenty of flow from the return to cut down on powerhead crowding in the display.

Back
Top Bottom