Three Gallon SW Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wabyrd

Aquarium Advice Freak
My betta boB died, so now I have an empty tank. I'm only freshwater now, but I was wondering if it would be a good idea to reset this 3 gallon Eclipse tank as a saltwater tank? It's a stock Marineland Eclipse 3 tank. If it's possible (and not too painful) can you suggest some fishes and such to put in it?

Oh yeah, I've though about a clown, but I think they require quite a bit of space, is that correct?

Not to discourage you from SW, but a 3g tank is going to be very difficult to maintain. Water parameters will change so quickly in it that you'll have to keep a constant watch on them. It's too small for a clown. I can't think of any fish right now that would do well in that size tank. Perhaps a couple of shrimp...banded coral shrimp maybe? Possibly one of the smaller blennies or gobies.

A sharknose or neon goby would work for that size tank, but not a clown.

Nano's do require a little more attention paid to them and a lot more research is involved in their set up and maintenance. In understanding that, they are no more a challenge than a larger tank.

I currently operate 2 x ¾ gallon nano's. Both contain corals, but as yet no mobile animals expect a nassarius and cerith in each one.

All parameters are maintained via water changes and I run both with carbon to help reduce organic build up.

Cheers
Steve

I agree that if you are willing to do the research and apply sensible stocking, etc., small tanks are a great way to join the hobby. My 7g and 10g nano's are easily as stable as my larger tanks.

A citron goby might also just barely squeeze in, although I think the neon to be better suited.

I think I'll just stick with freshwater. It's much easier to maintain and I know about it already. Thanks. I was just testing the waters to see if I wanted to jump in yet...I guess not.

Don't let it discourage you. I started with a 10g and had good luck with it. I just wanted to warn you that things can go wrong faster in a nano. You have to stay on top of things.

I was planning on getting a new 20 gallon tank in the near future (let's see, that'll make tank number 5) and starting a small reef tank in it. I can wait. I'll just get me some guppies or something to put in this tank.

Back
Top Bottom