Three more questions for this newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

russrimm

Aquarium Advice Activist
1. I keep reading about adding and testing for salt. Do I need to add salt to my new 20g aquarium? What type and how much? How do I test for its levels?

2. What does RO when referring to water stand for? Should I use it for my water changes?

3. Do I need to add stress coat to my tank ever?

Thanks!!

You don't want to ever add salt straight to your tank. You want to premix in in another plastic container, airate it for a day or 2 and test it there before adding it. To test it you will need a swing arm or floating hydrometer . You can get one at any LFS.
RO stands for reverse osmosis water. it is water that has had most of the unwanted elements filtered out. You can get a RO unit from your LFS or ebay, or you can buy RO water from some LFS. It is much better to use RO for your system, helps to keep your chems in check and is much healthier for your livstock.
Sorry, don't know about stress coat, never used it.
HTH

russrimm said:
1. I keep reading about adding and testing for salt. Do I need to add salt to my new 20g aquarium? What type and how much? How do I test for its levels?

The easy, but less accurate, way of testing is to simply get a swing arm hydrometer. There are other, more accurate but more expensive ways of testing them that I would suggest...but to be honest, at the moment I'm having a brain fart and I cant remember what its called. I'm sure someone else will chime in on it.

The only time you will need to add salt is if you are doing a water change. Evaporation is freshwater and should only be topped off with fresh. The salt does not evaporate.

2. What does RO when referring to water stand for? Should I use it for my water changes?

Reverse osmosis. (anytime you see letters in red, you should be able to hold your cursor over the m and it will tell you what it means.) RO water can be purchased at most reef shops. IMO it is one of the top ten things you can do to have a successful reef. You will rarely (b/c there is an exception to every rule) hear an experienced, successful reefer say that he uses tap water. RO/DI is the best...

Thats a fresh water thing. Salt can be very sensitive and the less you add to your tank the better. Additives usually create more problems than they solve.

That help? :wink:

Thanks!![/quote]

SquishyFish said:
russrimm said:

The easy, but less accurate, way of testing is to simply get a swing arm hydrometer. There are other, more accurate but more expensive ways of testing them that I would suggest...but to be honest, at the moment I'm having a brain fart and I cant remember what its called. I'm sure someone else will chime in on it.

Thanks!!
[/quote]

Refractometer. :wink: Nice investment if you want total accuracy.

Thats it! LOL

How long have I been doing this and I completely blank out on that word!

"yeah..theres this thing in the sump and it blows bubbles and they collect in a cup....but, duuhh,,, I cant remember what its called." :roll:

SquishyFish said:

Thats a fresh water thing. Salt can be very sensitive and the less you add to your tank the better. Additives usually create more problems than they solve.

That help? :wink:

Thanks!!
Actually If you are using tap water, you should add a water conditioner of some kind before adding the water to the tank, preferabley something that does not contain aloe. The water conditioner will neutralize chlorine and break the bonds of chloramines. Most will also bind certain metals making them less harmful. RO water is always the best source for your tank but when it's not possible, be sure the tap water is treated.

Cheers
Steve

How soon after adding the dechlorinator can you add the water to the tank?

If I use RO water, do I still need to add the dechlorinator to it?

Is RO the same as the bottled water which you can purchase in 5g jugs at most places? Is that the water to use?

russrimm said:
How soon after adding the dechlorinator can you add the water to the tank?
I'd give it an hour or two aerated with a powerhead to be on the safe side. It really doesn't take long depending on the water.

If I use RO water, do I still need to add the dechlorinator to it?
Shouldn't need to do anything to RO water if properly purified. Just add it to the tank or use it to mix fresh SW. The TDS should tell you how good the RO water is.

Cheers
Steve

8965 said:
Is RO the same as the bottled water which you can purchase in 5g jugs at most places? Is that the water to use?
There are many vending machines at large grocers as well as local water companies that sell RO water. If your unsure of it's purity, take some to the LFS or a friend and have them test the TDS. They should get a very low reading preferabley below 5 ppm depending on how vigilant the producer is about swapping out their membranes. Distilled (test for trace amounts of copper though) and DI water is also fine but I would steer clear of Spring, Glacier and the like. They are usually just carbon filtered and possibley UV treated.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom