Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just tested calcium, its at 450. I guess i will test the nest 2 days for each and see if it drops with the alkalinity like it should but never does.

And nope, I would know to dilute the powder.

I was using kent dkh buffer but I;m gonna let the tank do it's thing so I can figure out what my daily drops are and therefore can figure out how to dose and when.

Thanks!

Old 09-13-2011, 06:10 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Tested alkalinity and its at 9.3 today. i guess it doesnt drop too much each then after all. I'll test again tomorrow.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Alk at 8.3 today and calcium at 420.

Will test again tomorrow.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:05 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

alk 7.8 calcium 420 still

Looks like maybe a half dkh a day? i will test again tomorrow. My alkalinity buffer is coming in from brs tomorrow.

Just gotta figure out a system for administering it.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:24 PM   #15
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
So after 4 days you went from 450 calcium to 420 (loss of 30 PPM) and 10.4 to 7.8 dKH (loss of 2.6 dKH). Remember I said for every 2.8 dKH alk you lose 18 ppm calcium and 2 ppm mag. Looks like if your calcium test is accurate, your losing a little more calcium than alk....which really isn't that unusual.
When Do Calcium and Alkalinity Demand Not Exactly Balance? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You called it! LOL

How much longer should I test so I have an idea of how much and of what I'll be dosing? I figure with displacement of rock and sand and my sump I'm playing with 125g of water maybe.

I purchased soda ash from brs, a small jar and figured I'd start with that. My ph has been lingering around 7.8 or so so I figured that could use the boost as well.

Any input on any of that?

I want a good solid factual number so I can dose correctly.

Also, I still have 1/2 bottle of purple up, if I still have to dose two part as it turns out instead of just alk. can i use the purple up until I get a calcium mix for dosing?

thanks for putting up with all my questions. I'm learning alot. Sometimes too much for my own good. hehe
Old 09-15-2011, 09:16 PM   #17
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Well....what do you want to keep your alk level at? Personally, I never keep mine higher than 9 dKH max. I shoot for 8 to 8.5. You don't really want to raise it more than 2 dKH/day so depending on where you want it, you can start dosing now.
I think BRS has a calculator to figure out how much of their stuff you need to dose. It's probably based on Randy's Recipe 1, but I can't say for sure. If it is, you can use the Reef Chemistry calculator I link to previously.

PurpleUp is not a good calcium supplement. It's just ground up aragonite sand in a weak mixture of water and calcium chloride. I have no idea how much it would take to raise calcium. Does a whole bottle raise 100g of water 10ppm, or 50ppm or 500 ppm? The only way to know is dump some in a see how much the calcium rose.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks so much. Wasn't sure if the purple up would go to waste or not, lol, I'll probably add some here and there just to finish up the bottle.

I was told that 10dkh was the goal but if you suggest 9 I can go by that. I trust you more than my lfs.

Yeah, I;ve been messing around with that BRS calculator and seeing what it says. It seems soo easy, just mix amount with water and add to tank slowly. How slowly I'm not sure. the dosing pumps I've seen all fo 1.1/ml I think.

Would adding it to my ATO water be a good idea?
Old 09-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Todays readings are a little wacky-

magnesium is at 1500, maybe a drip less.
calcium is at 440
alaklinity is at 8.1

I havent added or done anything to the water, no pwc's only tops off.

or would this be written off as human error?
Old 09-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Today

magnesium 1320
calcium 420
Alkalinity 7.3

I already bought soda ash for the dosing for alkalinity....should I instead consider just dosing Kalk? Only one thing and it will help my calcium...

Tags
dosing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com