Time for me to do two part dosing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kalk is for maintaing ca and alk levels. You would still need something to boost them. Also, there is no set amount (as far as I know) that you need to use to maintain your levels. Keep in mind kalk should be dripped throughout the day and not added in any large amounts. It takes some experimenting to find out how much you have to drip to keep your levels up. If I remember correctly, 2 tablespoons of kalk/gal of water makes a saturated mixture and that's what you need to drip. FWIW, I tried dosing kalk and it was too much of a hassle.

Yeah, it sounds like it! if the dosing calculator is accurate at BRS then I need 1 teasppon of soda ash for every dkh I want to raise. I was thinking on starting to dose 1/2 that amount and monitor it from there. I don't lose a whole dkh a day but I thought if I started low I could adjust the dose if needed.

All this testing is killing me! All salifert so it's syringes and other fun stuff. Driving me crazy lol

As far as the calcium goes though, I;m not losing a whole heck of a lot it seems. Could my water change work as far as that goes or is two part dosing now in my immediate future?

I know two parts arent supposed to dosed together so how does one do it? Do calcium in the am and alkalinity in the evening? Any idea how far apart I would have to be before dosing the 2nd part?

It seems Kalk is easier to dose but harder to pinpoint the actual dosage and 2 part is easier to pinpoint how much to add than it is to actually administer. BRS says

Fully dissolve the Soda Ash in RO/DI or distilled water. Slowly add the solution to high flow areas of the tank. Avoid directly blasting corals with the concentrated solution.

Does this mean I can just put it in my sump slowly or do I need a dosing pump?

Thanks so far guys, you're taking me through this step by step and I really appreciate it. I want my tank to thrive! :-D

Water changes with a high calcium salt may be enough. Only way to know is do a water change and test. ;)

I dose a little more than 1/2 cup of each every day using Randy's Recipe 1 for both alk and ca. I slowly pour the 1/2 cup of alk supplement in front of a powerhead, get a 1/2 cup of calcium supplement and pour that in about a minute later. I do that every morning before I go to work. It takes a total of about 2 mins to do.

Back
Top Bottom