time for skimmer yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magnaflow

Aquarium Advice Regular
Tank has been cycle for a couple weeks now whens a good time to add the skimmer. My buddy told me to wait awhile but how longs awhile?

cool I will add it this weekand.. if I can figure out how to put it togther lol.. Its a older one I got for free from a friend the old one that takes a wooden defuser. Should be ok though

just a reminder, I would have an extra diffuser/air stone on hand incase that one ever clogs up etc

Skimmers can be run from the first day of tank set up. If your cycling with LR a skimmer is a must have IMO. Good luck getting it set up and skimming right...

I ran my skimmer from day one and ran the catch cup drain back into the sump. When the cycle was done all it needed was a little adjustment.

i have heaps of LR and only use my skimmer occasionally, E very one will tell you you need a skimmer but i personally dont agree, i used to run a skimmer all the time and my corals were dying, now they are multiplying all over the place. I think the wooden diffuser skimmer is a good start as those giant skimmers really do remove too many nutrients IMO, my tank is looking better with no skimmer running and i have baby corals everywhere, my salt levels are more stable too.

greenmaji said:
melissfish... do you have a soft coral tank?
Excellent question. The amount of organics in a given system really depends on what's being kept and what the species can actually use/benefit from. A skimmer can still be used even in those circumstances if it's tunned correctly (dry vs wet skimmate). Skimmers do more than just remove nutrient though. They are a great investment no matter what you keep as is carbon use. It's just a matter of how they are used.

Cheers
Steve

yes i have corralimorphs (differnet types) that are multiplying, leather toadstool, golf ball (still alive after 12 months) sponge(not doing so good) xenias(multiplying), button polyps(multipying) gorgonians, zooanthids(multiplying) plate coral, torch coral, brain corals, i also am really strict with the water changes 25% monthly this is important when not running a skimmer fulltime, even if you are running one , for the health of your tank.

Back
Top Bottom