Time to buy some fish. need help deciding which route to go.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

launch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
well i've only been here a few days and it feels like i've made a million threads. lol. just so many questions...what have i gotten myself into?

as i said in the million other posts, I purchased a 125g with wet/dry pump, protein skimmer, chiller, heater, temp controller, deionizer, etc. it also came with 80-100lbs of live rock 100-150lbs of live sand, a clownfish, a small blue damsel, and a pretty big yellow tail damsel. When i transferred the tank i kept most of the water so i wouldnt have to cycle the tank. it's been about 2 weeks, i've done a few water changes to keep the nitrates down now the water is under control and all the fish seem fine.

now its time to purchase fish and i need some help deciding which route to go. I've been doing TONS of research but i figured i'd ask your advice as well. i'm trying to plan ahead the best i can b/c i dont want to buy a bunch of crabs and find out one of my fish eat all of them. or buy a $50 fish and have it get killed by a $6 damsel. or get two fish that are going to fight. etc.

current residents: 1 clown (i'm sure its tank raised), 1 sm blue damsel, 1 big yellow damsel (3"), 20 hermit crabs, 10 astra snails. i'm not really attached to any of the damsels (but my wife is) but if they're gonna be a real problem they can go.

Route 1) small - medium size fish. clowns, basslet, small-med yellow tang, small-med blue hippo, firefish, gobys,the usual smaller pretty fish. and hermit crabs, emerald crabs, & snails for cleanup. oh, and a cleaner shrimp. but unsure which fish to add because of the current residents. i really like the b/w clowns and i'd like to get one or two but i'm unsure how they'd get along with the current residents. i'd also like to add a small trigger but will he eat my cleanup crew?

2) a little bigger than small fish a couple good size tank raised regular and black clowns, a medium yellow tang, a medium blue tang, and a small snowflake eel. but i'm unsure of what kind of clean up crew to get. with an eel what do people do for cleanup?

3) I can get a super deal on a perfect, huge blue hippo (about 6-7"), so maybe go with the huge hippo, a large yellow tang, a snowflake and maybe a trigger. but again, unsure of what to do for a cleanup crew

4) ....the possibilities are endless

please feel free to add your own ideas b/c mine could be all wrong. lol.

what are the pros/cons of having small fish vs larger more agressive fish.

also, if i get triggers, lionfish, or eels what do you do for a cleanup crew?

thanks for all the help.

ps. i dont think i'm going to do the coral thing for a long time. so it'll be fowlr for now.

Back
Top Bottom