Time to jump into the salt, 10g marine plans!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am setting up a new tank as a 10g marine tank. I already have the 10g tank and some of the equipment to get me going. This will be my first marine tank, and I am fully aware that a larger tank would be preferred and easier to maintain. I have a lot of experience with freshwater tanks and have over 1,000 posts over in the freshwater section of this messageboard. This tank will end up in a fish themed baby room (baby not born yet, but coming in the spring). By the time the baby grows up and could possible harm the tank, the whole setup will get moved into a larger tank. For fish, the tank will have two Ocellaris Clowns, tank raised.

I have a very good LFS called Aquatic Concepts in Westbrook, ME that will be supplying me with all of the live rock, inverts, and fish. Only problem is that they charge a lot for equipment and supplies, so I am ordering as much as I can online :) I would like for people to look over this and give me any advice you may have. I did as much research as possible and have formed a pretty decent plan to get the tank running with the help of the LFS.

Equipment + Setup (Phase 1):
-10g Glass Tank
-Glass Canopy
-Coralife 20inch 34w 50/50 PC Light
-Visitherm Deluxe 50 Heater
-Aquaclear Mini Filter
-Mini Jet 404 Powerhead
-Carib Sea Seaflor Reef Sand
-Oceanic Natural Sea Salt Mix
-Instant Ocean Hydrometer

The powerhead and filter should get me all of the water movement I need. The light should be OK too, I am not going for a full reef setup or anything with hard corals. I am going to get all of that equipment setup, and run the tank for a few days to make sure all of the equipment is fine and let substrate settle until the water is clear.

Live Rock + Cycle (Phase 2):

-10+ Pounds Live Rock From LFS
-Tetra Laborette Test Kit
-Tetra Nitrate Test Kit
-Kent Superbuffer
-Kent Kalkwasser

Once the tank settles, I am going to check the water parameters and pick out some nice live rock. The LFS has a lot of very pourous pieces so 10 pounds should go pretty far, if not, I can get more. The Superbuffer and Kalkwasser were reccomended to me to get the levels to the right place only if needed. Once the live rock is in the tank, I will wait for the tank to cycle and start seeding some bacteria around in the substrate. Once everything is cycled, I will do a small water change.

*more*

Inverts (Phase 3)

-Clean Up Crew From LFS
-GE Light Timer

This is a variety package of snails, crabs, and maybe a Star of some form. It goes by tank size so they have something appropriate for a 10g. This should clean up any dead material on the live rock, and any algae that may have formed. Once these go in, I will wait for the tank to cycle again, if needed. I am not certain of having a star at this point, though I may end up paying for it with the clean up crew, then picking it up later when I get the fish.

Fish! (Phase 4)

-Two Tank Raised Clowns, 1 inch each
-Ocean Nutrition Formula One Small Marine Pellets
-Ocean Nutrition Formula Two Small Marine Pellets
-Hikari Freeze Dried Brine Shrimp
-Various Frozen Food
-Cleaner Shrimp?

At this point, I will purchase the two fish and acclimate them to the tank. I am going to be comparing my water parameters to those at the LFS so everything should be matching up pretty good. Those three foods should be able to get me started, and I have a lot of frozen food I can feed them as well. I really would like a cleaner shrimp at this point, but if it is overkill, I can go without it.

Corals + Moonlight (Phase 5)

-Blue LED Moonlight
-Two Newbie Friendly Corals

Once I get the fish into a routine and everything is OK, I am going to pick up some beginner friendly corals and a moonlight. I was told Mushrooms and Polyps are good to get started? I can work out those details later. When I figure out the newbie corals, I can get more complicated from there. The moonlight will be for when the baby wakes up during the night. Myself or my wife can rock the baby back to sleep while watching the tank in the moonlight

So, that is my plan right there. Am I missing anything? Are there better options for anything on my list? Any pointers? Should I change the food? Is this a good plan? I really appreciate anyone who read through this! Thanks!

So you plan on making this a reef tank? I would add 1 or 2 cleaners, just because they are friendly and help clean off parisites from the clowns. What type of corals do you plan on adding? Is the LR cured? I like that your going to cycle the tank with the lr, that is a very good boost for you tank :D I would wait for a few months after the tank has cycled to put any of corals in, it is important to wait. Btw, I would wait a few days after your first test that shows good cycle, because you want to be safe than sorry, because I made a mistake and it turned out that my tank went over another cycle, because of that I lost 2 damsels and a coral banded shrimp.

So you plan on making this a reef tank?

Eventually it will end up as a reef tank. I want to make sure I do things slowly and work my way up to it and gain experience :)

I would add 1 or 2 cleaners, just because they are friendly and help clean off parisites from the clowns.

Do these add to the bio-load? Just curious... I really do like the shrimp, I was not sure if the LFS was trying to encourage me not to get the shrimp or something.

What type of corals do you plan on adding? Is the LR cured?

Not sure on the corals just yet. The LFS has about 75 marine tanks and a large selection that varies every time I am in there. Once I am ready for the corals, I will go with whatever they have in stock for medium light Mushrooms or Polyps that are hardy and start from there. The Live rock is cured from the LFS. They have one large tank with rock ready for sale, and multiple other tanks with rock curing.

I like that your going to cycle the tank with the lr, that is a very good boost for you tank Very Happy I would wait for a few months after the tank has cycled to put any of corals in, it is important to wait.

Cycling with the live rock was highly reccomended. They also reccomend I pick up another small piece of rock when I get the clean up crew just to mix things up. No problem on waiting for the corals, I would like to get experience with the FOWLR before adding corals anyway. Like I said, I am trying to make this whole process as smooth as possible. I have much patience for fish :)

Btw, I would wait a few days after your first test that shows good cycle, because you want to be safe than sorry, because I made a mistake and it turned out that my tank went over another cycle, because of that I lost 2 damsels and a coral banded shrimp.

Good advice there. The LFS is not exactly "local" so it takes me some effort to get down there anyway. I need to plan a couple days ahead so there would be a delay as it is.

This whole tank idea started because my father in law bought our unborn baby a framed 25 inch limited edition giclee print of this scene:

giclee.jpg

The print cost more than the tank will cost 8O

Sounds like you are well on your way, and you have thought through this alot better than I ever did.

You are going to love your new sw tank. Congrats on the new little one thats coming, sounds like a great idea for the babys room! :wink:

PS. Your plan sounds like a winner to me.

about the cleaner shrimp: no they dont add to your bio load so dont worry about that... u can add one or two but just make sure they arent fighting for territory or something... if that happens pick your favorite and return the other one.

As per the star: you can get one, yes it would be nice if it remained small... but id maybe wait until you got ur two clowns in.. if they are ok for a bit a star would be a fun addition... imo if u can get an algae loving star.. more the better...

the tank sounds great... its actually very similar to the tank i set up for my GF at her house shes got two clowns, clean up crew, and a little red indo star... she also has a clown coby which is very tiny but i wouldnt recommend doing that unless your willing to be frequent with the water changes...

also atm her tank is playing host to my pom pom crab and pistol shrimp until i get my ten set up

hope you have fun!!!!

Since it is for a baby's room. Can yoy cut a small hole in the wall and put the tank in there? With acess only from the other side, "little helper" feedings won't happen

my only comments on your list would be to ask why the kalkwasser and marine buffer? Most likely you will need neither of those things. A 10 gallon tank is very easy to do water changes on and with a good quality salt you will be fine. My thoughts are this, in this hobby there are so many things we CAN spend our money on that the things we get that we dont need, just take away from the fun stuff :)

If for some reason, you need it down the road then pick it up.

I plan on either saving up money and buy a nano cube and make it a reef, or just buy a 10g tank and breed clowns. I m not sure though, breeding clowns sound like hard work :?

its always great to see somebody who does their research and creates a plan before diving into salt. i have a tank that sounds a lot like that (its actually the home of my breeding ocellaris couple) and i think its a nice easy way to get into salt.

best of luck to you! your plan sounds great.

about the cleaner shrimp: no they dont add to your bio load so dont worry about that... u can add one or two but just make sure they arent fighting for territory or something... if that happens pick your favorite and return the other one.

As per the star: you can get one, yes it would be nice if it remained small... but id maybe wait until you got ur two clowns in.. if they are ok for a bit a star would be a fun addition... imo if u can get an algae loving star.. more the better...

I will just go for the one shrimp then. I would hate to have to return it, and not be able to return it until after the shrimp beat up each other for a few days.

The LFS has a bunch of Stars. I honestly have not looked into Stars much, but I will keep it in mind to get one that eats algae too.

Since it is for a baby's room. Can yoy cut a small hole in the wall and put the tank in there? With acess only from the other side, "little helper" feedings won't happen

By the time the baby gets big enough to even think about accessing the tank and causing chaos, the tank will not be in the room anymore :)

my only comments on your list would be to ask why the kalkwasser and marine buffer? Most likely you will need neither of those things.

You are right and that I may likely never need them. They were reccomended as cheap insurance in case my tap water changes (which can happen). I am going to be premixing all water for changes in a 5 bucket so I would be using the additives in that mix, not the tank. It is better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. If this stuff was expensive I would pass ;)

its always great to see somebody who does their research and creates a plan before diving into salt.

Sounds like you are well on your way, and you have thought through this alot better than I ever did.

Thanks! I have been planning this out for a while and just recently I was able to get down to the LFS and check on their stock so I could move ahead with my plans. I tried my best to use the search function a lot before posting up something like, "I want two clownfish, what do i do???" :D

On with the new stuff...

-How much substrate do I need? I am seeing everywhere from between 15 pounds and 40 pounds for a 10g tank. Also, has anyone used the Arag-Alive Reef Sand "Live Sand" It comes in a water packed bag and is supposed to have bacteria already in it.

-Should I get another powerhead? How much current do I actually need in this tank?

-Do I need a skimmer? I see a lot of people not using them, I am not certain if I need one for this tank. If I did get one, it would be a cheap compact model like this:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...mer&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=0

Arag-Alive Reef Sand "Live Sand"
This stuff is not worth the extra cost. see if the lfs can give/sell you a scoop of ls after the tank is up and running. You could also check out the regional forum for someone close that could help you out.
for current shoot for 100 150 gph. what is the 404 rated for?
Not sure about a skimmer on a 10 g. My thought is frequent water changes would eliminate the need for one.

Just curious about the cost difference for a 20g setup. If i've heard anyone planning a SW tank and thinking it through better than you, I can't remember. Sounds like you can handle a small tank well.

But.... why not make it easier to see? For the baby too. I'm big on visual stimulation for them little buggers. I have no idea of the price to step up, but have you considered it?

Congrats on the SW decision. Oh yeah, for the baby too. :p

This stuff is not worth the extra cost. see if the lfs can give/sell you a scoop of ls after the tank is up and running. You could also check out the regional forum for someone close that could help you out.
for current shoot for 100 150 gph. what is the 404 rated for?
Not sure about a skimmer on a 10 g. My thought is frequent water changes would eliminate the need for one.

Alright, no Arag-Alive for me. The LFS only sell marine sand in $40 bags, and the bags are not even that large... I knowof one person with a marine tank that is a friend of a friend, so I might ask them. The 404 is rated for 108 gph, so it should be fine.

Just curious about the cost difference for a 20g setup. If i've heard anyone planning a SW tank and thinking it through better than you, I can't remember. Sounds like you can handle a small tank well.

But.... why not make it easier to see? For the baby too. I'm big on visual stimulation for them little buggers. I have no idea of the price to step up, but have you considered it?

It is not really a money thing making me get the 10g. I am sticking with the 10g for a few reasons...

-The tank will need to be moved at least once in the next few months when I find a new apartment or buy a house. Smaller tank with less stuff = more easy to move :)

-Myself and the wife like the size and look of the 10g and other small tanks. I actually think my 26g tank is a bit big sometimes 8O When I do get a big tank, I want something that is a 125+ :p

-The tank is going to end up on a piece of furniture so it can be higher off the ground than if it was on a tank stand, which are almost all 30 inches of less in height. The furniture can easily hold a 10g tank with no issue, but I would not want to push it with anything too much larger.

I've never seen planning like this before.. I'm sure you're going be very successful in this venture (y)

I only have one thought, which is mainly just my opinion so take it for what it's worth (not much,lol). I can't help feeling 10 gal is not a comfortable amount of space for a pair of clownfish. I know they are fairly sedantry compared to most SW fish, but the one I have does like to go for a brisk excursion on occasion and definitely appears to enjoy having the room to 'stretch its fins'. Now with a pair it may be even more necessary.. they do squabble, like all couples, and sometimes need their space. Perhaps you might consider the 20 gal for no other reason than to provide the best environment for your fish?

I only have one thought, which is mainly just my opinion so take it for what it's worth (not much,lol). I can't help feeling 10 gal is not a comfortable amount of space for a pair of clownfish. I know they are fairly sedantry compared to most SW fish, but the one I have does like to go for a brisk excursion on occasion and definitely appears to enjoy having the room to 'stretch its fins'. Now with a pair it may be even more necessary.. they do squabble, like all couples, and sometimes need their space. Perhaps you might consider the 20 gal for no other reason than to provide the best environment for your fish?

I definitely understand your points. If the tanks ends up being too small for the pair, I can replace it when I move. Another option is to move the marine tank into the 26g bow front tank, and change the fish in the bow front tank into a 29g or 37g tank.

Anyway, if this is just a bad idea for Clowns, or if any fish are more appropriate for a nano tank, let me know :)

....Try another LFS

Grimlock...

A new LFS in Maine in that specializes in only Marine Aquariums have opened up a few weeks ago in South Portland (near the Maine Mall). Not too far from Westbrook. The Name of the store is Atlantis.

From what I understand...has good prices...especially on fish.

I have not visited the store yet...tried twice, but was closed. From what my friend has said...she is in business to get people involved in Marine Tanks....inexpensively. It is her hobby and wants to share it with others...

You may want to check there before mail ordering.

WhiteCloudOutlaw

Thanks for the info on that! I work not to far from the Maine Mall, and my wife works right in the Maine Mall, so I head down to that area pretty frequently :) I should be able to check out Atlantis this weekend...

Anyway, since my intial post, I have my marine tank and up cycling with some nice live rock. Here are my pet rocks so far...

reef7.jpg

Next week, I will be getting in a 2x40w PC light, new powerhead, and a new AC300 filter to turn into a fuge. All of the parts are on their way to me right now, UPS put the package on a camel though...

Back
Top Bottom