Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-07-2004, 12:35 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
about the cleaner shrimp: no they dont add to your bio load so dont worry about that... u can add one or two but just make sure they arent fighting for territory or something... if that happens pick your favorite and return the other one.

As per the star: you can get one, yes it would be nice if it remained small... but id maybe wait until you got ur two clowns in.. if they are ok for a bit a star would be a fun addition... imo if u can get an algae loving star.. more the better...
I will just go for the one shrimp then. I would hate to have to return it, and not be able to return it until after the shrimp beat up each other for a few days.

The LFS has a bunch of Stars. I honestly have not looked into Stars much, but I will keep it in mind to get one that eats algae too.

Quote:
Since it is for a baby's room. Can yoy cut a small hole in the wall and put the tank in there? With acess only from the other side, "little helper" feedings won't happen
By the time the baby gets big enough to even think about accessing the tank and causing chaos, the tank will not be in the room anymore

Quote:
my only comments on your list would be to ask why the kalkwasser and marine buffer? Most likely you will need neither of those things.
You are right and that I may likely never need them. They were reccomended as cheap insurance in case my tap water changes (which can happen). I am going to be premixing all water for changes in a 5 bucket so I would be using the additives in that mix, not the tank. It is better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. If this stuff was expensive I would pass

Quote:
its always great to see somebody who does their research and creates a plan before diving into salt.
Quote:
Sounds like you are well on your way, and you have thought through this alot better than I ever did.
Thanks! I have been planning this out for a while and just recently I was able to get down to the LFS and check on their stock so I could move ahead with my plans. I tried my best to use the search function a lot before posting up something like, "I want two clownfish, what do i do???"

On with the new stuff...

-How much substrate do I need? I am seeing everywhere from between 15 pounds and 40 pounds for a 10g tank. Also, has anyone used the Arag-Alive Reef Sand "Live Sand" It comes in a water packed bag and is supposed to have bacteria already in it.

-Should I get another powerhead? How much current do I actually need in this tank?

-Do I need a skimmer? I see a lot of people not using them, I am not certain if I need one for this tank. If I did get one, it would be a cheap compact model like this:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...rtial&Np=1&N=0

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 06:28 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Arag-Alive Reef Sand "Live Sand"
This stuff is not worth the extra cost. see if the lfs can give/sell you a scoop of ls after the tank is up and running. You could also check out the regional forum for someone close that could help you out.
for current shoot for 100 150 gph. what is the 404 rated for?
Not sure about a skimmer on a 10 g. My thought is frequent water changes would eliminate the need for one.

Old 09-07-2004, 07:55 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Just curious about the cost difference for a 20g setup. If i've heard anyone planning a SW tank and thinking it through better than you, I can't remember. Sounds like you can handle a small tank well.

But.... why not make it easier to see? For the baby too. I'm big on visual stimulation for them little buggers. I have no idea of the price to step up, but have you considered it?

Congrats on the SW decision. Oh yeah, for the baby too. :P

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 10:25 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
This stuff is not worth the extra cost. see if the lfs can give/sell you a scoop of ls after the tank is up and running. You could also check out the regional forum for someone close that could help you out.
for current shoot for 100 150 gph. what is the 404 rated for?
Not sure about a skimmer on a 10 g. My thought is frequent water changes would eliminate the need for one.
Alright, no Arag-Alive for me. The LFS only sell marine sand in $40 bags, and the bags are not even that large... I knowof one person with a marine tank that is a friend of a friend, so I might ask them. The 404 is rated for 108 gph, so it should be fine.

Quote:
Just curious about the cost difference for a 20g setup. If i've heard anyone planning a SW tank and thinking it through better than you, I can't remember. Sounds like you can handle a small tank well.

But.... why not make it easier to see? For the baby too. I'm big on visual stimulation for them little buggers. I have no idea of the price to step up, but have you considered it?
It is not really a money thing making me get the 10g. I am sticking with the 10g for a few reasons...

-The tank will need to be moved at least once in the next few months when I find a new apartment or buy a house. Smaller tank with less stuff = more easy to move

-Myself and the wife like the size and look of the 10g and other small tanks. I actually think my 26g tank is a bit big sometimes 8O When I do get a big tank, I want something that is a 125+ :P

-The tank is going to end up on a piece of furniture so it can be higher off the ground than if it was on a tank stand, which are almost all 30 inches of less in height. The furniture can easily hold a 10g tank with no issue, but I would not want to push it with anything too much larger.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
Old 09-07-2004, 11:28 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've never seen planning like this before.. I'm sure you're going be very successful in this venture

I only have one thought, which is mainly just my opinion so take it for what it's worth (not much,lol). I can't help feeling 10 gal is not a comfortable amount of space for a pair of clownfish. I know they are fairly sedantry compared to most SW fish, but the one I have does like to go for a brisk excursion on occasion and definitely appears to enjoy having the room to 'stretch its fins'. Now with a pair it may be even more necessary.. they do squabble, like all couples, and sometimes need their space. Perhaps you might consider the 20 gal for no other reason than to provide the best environment for your fish?

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 01:05 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I only have one thought, which is mainly just my opinion so take it for what it's worth (not much,lol). I can't help feeling 10 gal is not a comfortable amount of space for a pair of clownfish. I know they are fairly sedantry compared to most SW fish, but the one I have does like to go for a brisk excursion on occasion and definitely appears to enjoy having the room to 'stretch its fins'. Now with a pair it may be even more necessary.. they do squabble, like all couples, and sometimes need their space. Perhaps you might consider the 20 gal for no other reason than to provide the best environment for your fish?
I definitely understand your points. If the tanks ends up being too small for the pair, I can replace it when I move. Another option is to move the marine tank into the 26g bow front tank, and change the fish in the bow front tank into a 29g or 37g tank.

Anyway, if this is just a bad idea for Clowns, or if any fish are more appropriate for a nano tank, let me know

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
Old 09-17-2004, 07:24 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

....Try another LFS

Grimlock...

A new LFS in Maine in that specializes in only Marine Aquariums have opened up a few weeks ago in South Portland (near the Maine Mall). Not too far from Westbrook. The Name of the store is Atlantis.

From what I understand...has good prices...especially on fish.

I have not visited the store yet...tried twice, but was closed. From what my friend has said...she is in business to get people involved in Marine Tanks....inexpensively. It is her hobby and wants to share it with others...

You may want to check there before mail ordering.

WhiteCloudOutlaw

40 Gallon Breeder Salt Water: 4 inch DSB (2/3 Agaramax & 1/3 Sea Flor), Bak Pak 2R Skimmer w/ BBX, 2 x JBJ PHs, Coralife Lunar Aqualight (2x96w), 30lb Base Rock and 40lbs of Live Rock.
Inhabitants: Purple Firefish, Pygmy Angel, Lawmower Blenny, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, Pistol Shrimp(HH), 1 Emerald Crabs, 3 Porcelin Crabs(HH), varying amounts and varieties of hermit and snails.

3 Gallon Eclipse:
1 Goldfish (won free at a fair...cost $50 in equipment)
WhiteCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 10:44 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the info on that! I work not to far from the Maine Mall, and my wife works right in the Maine Mall, so I head down to that area pretty frequently I should be able to check out Atlantis this weekend...

Anyway, since my intial post, I have my marine tank and up cycling with some nice live rock. Here are my pet rocks so far...

Next week, I will be getting in a 2x40w PC light, new powerhead, and a new AC300 filter to turn into a fuge. All of the parts are on their way to me right now, UPS put the package on a camel though...

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock

Tags
marine, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com