Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-28-2004, 01:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Time to upgrade tank size: Question/Suggestions

I finally got the green light from the wife to upgrade to a larger tank!

While browsing in the LFS the other day she spotted the tangs and said "I want one of those". Of course we can't keep a tank in the 30 gallon cube, so I used the opprutunity to play this one to my advantage! I explained we could have a tang, once we got a 50+ gallon aquarium. Seconds later she said then get a 50 gallon tank!

The real question here is can I "really" keep a tang in a 50 gallon (36x15x20)? I know I could, but should I is the better question.

I have no live stock right now, the only other fish I plan to add would be a couple clowns and some inverts.

Next question... what's the opinion on the SeaClear 50 gallon (Not a System II) - Just the tank itself? I can get one of these from PetSmart for $200.

I am use to glass aquariums. I've always had glass and love my Oceanic but the SeaClear's look really nice in my opinion. Are these decent tanks?

I'm already planning what additional dry goods I'll need for the 50 gallon. I think I'm pretty much set with LR and my skimmer. I'd just need to upgrade to a 36" PC light. I think this is the perfect time to upgrade as well, since I don't have any live stock to contend with right now.

So... thoughts... suggestions? Thanks!

Old 11-28-2004, 01:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'd say 50 gallons is really too small for a tang, unless there's some small variety out there that I've never heard of. Tangs get big and it's just not enough swimming room or enough water volume to safely hold their bioload once they are full grown. Tangs are eating and pooping machines, also. At least plump, happy tangs are. Go for at least a 75, it really won't take up much more room and if you go glass it'll be less than that SeaClear.

I have one acrylic tank. It has three advantages - algae, including coralline, doesn't stick on it's sides, the viewing seems somehow more crisp, though it may have to do with the number of watts per gallon rather than the acrylic versus glass, and the acrylic can have a drilled overflow. My acrylic tank also has two disadvantages - it scratches easily and it scratches easily. I count that as two because every time I've bump a piece of liverock into a side every so slightly it's scratched and there are scratches on the outside that I have no idea where they came from (unless I somehow inadvertently brushed my body/a button/zipper/fingernail against it) as I use a microfiber cleaning cloth on it. I try to be really careful with it but maybe I'm clumsier than average. All I know is my other 7 tanks are glass and I'd probably not ever buy another acrylic unless it was a minireef or a really good deal (I can't resist a bargain - it'd have to be pretty tricked out, too) because I've only ever scratched the acrylic and never the glass(knock on wood) in the years I've had them.

Old 11-28-2004, 03:21 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I agree with Foible 100% and couldn't have put it any better!
Old 11-28-2004, 12:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...056&highlight=

A question I asked on having a tang in a 55 gallon.
The Coral: zoos, kenya trees, shrooms, leathers, hammer, and star polyps
The Inverts: LT anemone, pistol shrimp, urchins, etc.
The Janitors: nassarius snails, turbos, hermits, several brittle and serpent stars
The Rock: 68# of Keys-12# Base Rock; from LR.com
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 12:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
Also, i would say the only way to keep a tang in a 55 would be if it were a 4 foot tank. In this case it is a three feoot tank, not enough room for a tang to swim comfortably.

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 12:00 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the input. I'm now eye balling an AGA 55, 65, and even a 75. I did not realize you could get an AGA in this size for a decent price (~$100 to $150). I assume this price is decent? I don't have much to compare to around here.

Logan... I see you're in North Georgia. That's awesome. I'm less than 2 hours away from you near Gainesville. I'll have to get in touch with you when it's time for livestock!

Thanks again for the advice everyone.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:24 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Ya think showing her this thread and maybe the liveaquaria.com profiles on some of the tangs might get you a 75g???? There, you'll see recommendations on tank sizes for them. A 75g, 4ft wide tank might be the new target?

Just maybe? Speak now, or forever hold your peace 8)

Oh, yeah. Good luck!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 03:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ditto the vote for 75 - actually a 90 would be even better.

Bottom line, is the biggest one you have room / can afford.

Have fun.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:24 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Ditto the ditto.

90g if you like tangs.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 06:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
ive heard that 75 gallons is the minimum for tangs. and if your going to get a 75 gallon. Might as well get a 90 gallon!!!

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suggestions, tan, tank size, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com