Time to upgrade tank size: Question/Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ASpec

Aquarium Advice Freak
I finally got the green light from the wife to upgrade to a larger tank!

While browsing in the LFS the other day she spotted the tangs and said "I want one of those". Of course we can't keep a tank in the 30 gallon cube, so I used the opprutunity to play this one to my advantage! I explained we could have a tang, once we got a 50+ gallon aquarium. Seconds later she said then get a 50 gallon tank! :D

The real question here is can I "really" keep a tang in a 50 gallon (36x15x20)? I know I could, but should I is the better question.

I have no live stock right now, the only other fish I plan to add would be a couple clowns and some inverts.

Next question... what's the opinion on the SeaClear 50 gallon (Not a System II) - Just the tank itself? I can get one of these from PetSmart for $200.

I am use to glass aquariums. I've always had glass and love my Oceanic but the SeaClear's look really nice in my opinion. Are these decent tanks?

I'm already planning what additional dry goods I'll need for the 50 gallon. I think I'm pretty much set with LR and my skimmer. I'd just need to upgrade to a 36" PC light. I think this is the perfect time to upgrade as well, since I don't have any live stock to contend with right now.

So... thoughts... suggestions? Thanks!

I'd say 50 gallons is really too small for a tang, unless there's some small variety out there that I've never heard of. Tangs get big and it's just not enough swimming room or enough water volume to safely hold their bioload once they are full grown. Tangs are eating and pooping machines, also. At least plump, happy tangs are. Go for at least a 75, it really won't take up much more room and if you go glass it'll be less than that SeaClear.

I have one acrylic tank. It has three advantages - algae, including coralline, doesn't stick on it's sides, the viewing seems somehow more crisp, though it may have to do with the number of watts per gallon rather than the acrylic versus glass, and the acrylic can have a drilled overflow. My acrylic tank also has two disadvantages - it scratches easily and it scratches easily. I count that as two because every time I've bump a piece of liverock into a side every so slightly it's scratched and there are scratches on the outside that I have no idea where they came from (unless I somehow inadvertently brushed my body/a button/zipper/fingernail against it) as I use a microfiber cleaning cloth on it. I try to be really careful with it but maybe I'm clumsier than average. All I know is my other 7 tanks are glass and I'd probably not ever buy another acrylic unless it was a minireef or a really good deal (I can't resist a bargain - it'd have to be pretty tricked out, too) because I've only ever scratched the acrylic and never the glass(knock on wood) in the years I've had them.

Also, i would say the only way to keep a tang in a 55 would be if it were a 4 foot tank. In this case it is a three feoot tank, not enough room for a tang to swim comfortably.

Thanks for the input. I'm now eye balling an AGA 55, 65, and even a 75. I did not realize you could get an AGA in this size for a decent price (~$100 to $150). I assume this price is decent? I don't have much to compare to around here.

Logan... I see you're in North Georgia. That's awesome. I'm less than 2 hours away from you near Gainesville. I'll have to get in touch with you when it's time for livestock!

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

Ya think showing her this thread and maybe the liveaquaria.com profiles on some of the tangs might get you a 75g???? :wink: There, you'll see recommendations on tank sizes for them. A 75g, 4ft wide tank might be the new target?

Just maybe? Speak now, or forever hold your peace 8) :)

Oh, yeah. Good luck!

Ditto the vote for 75 - actually a 90 would be even better.

Bottom line, is the biggest one you have room / can afford.

Have fun.

ive heard that 75 gallons is the minimum for tangs. and if your going to get a 75 gallon. Might as well get a 90 gallon!!! :mrgreen:

Well... I tried. I said 65 gallon, she said 50. :(

Next best thing... compromise. :D Ordering a 58 Gallon Oceanic, reef ready! I realize this tank is not going to hold a tang since it's still a 36" foot print, but I ended up with a tank nearly double the size, and an Oceanic again no less.

As for lighting, I am not ordering the canopy with the tank, going to go with a 36" power compact for lighting. All the 36" PC's seem to be 2x96. This gives me around 3.3 wpg. I assume this will be decent if and when I ever do decide to add some corals. Won't be anytime soon.

I ordered/received my Remora last week (awesome skimmer by the way). Now I wish I had waited so I could have ordered an in-sump AquaC since I'm getting a reef ready tank.

As for the transfer into the new tank... any suggestions? I have no live stock besides my LR... I was going to transfer all the water as well since my cycle is complete and top off the remaining 28 to 30 gallons with new water. Will I end up with another cycle doing this?

Thanks!

I'm thinking that if the die off/cycle has already occurred with the current rock, and you're just transferring with the same water and adding new mix, there'd not be another cycle.

As for the tangs....

Check out the yellow eyed-kole.

Back
Top Bottom