Tim's 75 Gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To buy yourself some time for plumbing you can attach the valves to the drain and close them so you can get everything into the tank and get your powerheads and heater going. This would allow you to take your time with plumbing.

That is a great idea! Get everything in the tank and get the water moving with the powerheads, then work on the plumbing, brilliant!

Got the new 75 cleaned up. The guy I bought it from had window tinted the back. Not bad, but he put a design in it that I didnt like. What a pain getting the window tint glue off. Ended up using ammonia. Here it is taped off, the finally done. Hopefully swap out tanks next weekend!

image-4294382986.jpg

image-195468623.jpg

Well, tomorrow is the day! Have 80 gallons of fresh saltwater ready to go. First thing in the morning start draining tank water into two tubs to put the fish and corals in. Then fill one tub with fresh saltwater to put the live rock in. Then take out live rocks, fish and corals. Then scoop out most of the sand. Then disconnect the plumbing and remove old tank. Put new tank in place and fill with the 100 lbs of new rinsed sand. Then fill with fresh salt water and place live rock. Then start dripping fish and corals. Then place corals and put fish back in. Get powerheads running and work on the plumbing. Then connect plumbing and sit back and look at my accomplishment and drink a cold one! Did I miss anything?

BTW, who is coming to help lift the old tank out and put in the new one??? LOL!!

spoonman said:
I knew I shouldn't have put that last statement in there. Arrgggg!

Ha why? ive already bought my plane ticket!

Good luck tomorrow Tim. Its nerve racking but when its done it feels good. Your list looks good...do it right and youll have no problems!

What time are you coming in? I will pick you up at the airport! Thanks for the well wishes. I will keep you all updated on the progress!

Good luck bro, a daunting task ahead of ya but will be well worth it. Shouldn't take too long. Are you using new live sand? If so don't rinse it just pour it into the tank and use a bowl to pour the water into as you fill so you don't kick up a bunch of debris. Best of luck and waiting for updates.

So, got everything out of the tank a realized that my current tank is 48x18 footprint and the new one is 48x15 and taller. The stand wont work for the new one. So, I'm gonna have to get a new one. Problem is the new one wont fit my sump under it. Gonna have to completely re-engineer this one. Sucks big time!

spoonman said:
So, got everything out of the tank a realized that my current tank is 48x18 footprint and the new one is 48x15 and taller. The stand wont work for the new one. So, I'm gonna have to get a new one. Problem is the new one wont fit my sump under it. Gonna have to completely re-engineer this one. Sucks big time!

Noooo!!!! Oh noo!!! That is the worst knews You could have given lol! Okay..not the worst but pretty unfortunate. Thats okay you got this! Minor setback!

Well, after some thought I went and got a piece of 3/4" plywood to fit the top of the cabinet. It fits perfectly and I just cut a hole in it for the plumbing to go out. All the live rock is in and acclimating the corals and fish as we speak.

Everything is back in the tank. One loss, the engineer goby got caught by the carpet nem in the bucket and was lunch. Monday might be a fish shopping day. Tank is a tad cloudy, but settling already.

image-2600027380.jpg

Last edited:
spoonman said:
Everything is back in the tank. One loss, the engineer goby got caught. Y the carpet nem and was lunch. Monday might be a fish shopping day. Tank is a tad cloudy, but settling already.

Caught? Dang!!! Sorry. Looks good tho...

Thanks guys, the tank is soooo much clearer and looks so much better. And since the tank is 5" taller, I have more options on coral placement! Very happy man right now!

Got a replacement engineer goby and a small rock of mushrooms. Sorry for the picture quality. It is under the actinics.

image-3290450612.jpg

image-1124427035.jpg

Back
Top Bottom