Tim's 75 Gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks ok to me. I'm sure you were already planning to, but make sure you support the plumbing somehow. I cracked my refugium because I accidentally smacked the plumbing on my tank... so just make sure there's not a lot of pressure on that bulkhead in any one direction (except straight down)

Once everything is in its final location I will cut straps and blocks to secure everything.

Ok with your setup you shouldn't need unions then . I would be worried about the in lines not being cemented together that they would come apart though but I never tried it so I dont really know what would happen.

After looking at the setup, I think I am going to put a union on both the return and drains, right below the bulkheads. I think I have room on the drain the way it is now and I can move the ball valve and check valve closer to the return pump and shorten the flex hose attached to the return pump. Thanks Hondatek, I wouldn't have done it unless you mentioned it! I am going to test the whole setup in the garage before I bring it in the house, so this will allow me to take the tank in the house separately from the stand and the sump. WAY EASIER! You saved the day!

Operational test

So, finished the plumbing and decided to test the whole setup today. Worked flawlessly! Thanks to Hondatek for suggesting the unions! I also cut the power to the return pump and the sump level went up about 2" and all flow stopped. I am so happy right now! I don't know why I was so worried that this wouldn't work. Here is a video of the test

And a picture with the canopy and lights on.

img_1849947_0_da2b998bc922228bc8a3e0bf97ebdf94.jpg

Thanks to you and all the others on this site that helped me figure out how to do this! Can't thank you enough! Think I am going to drain it tomorrow and try to get it set up in the house this week! I am stoked!

Have everything I need. Have 100 pounds of live rock soaking in tubs in the garage with powerheads and heaters. Have 100 pounds of PFS that has to be rinsed and dumped in and I am good to go! Will start cycling this week! Hopefully it will be short with all the live rock.

Hope so. I have the first two fish picked out already. Kole yellow eye tang and foxface lo. Going in as soon as I'm cycled. Want to introduce them together to make sure there is no aggression.

Picked up the last of the stuff to get this tank rolling.

img_1854794_0_5c98cc2a34c33e71dd3eb88d5fda5f15.jpg

Brute for water and pond pump for mixing
img_1854794_1_098e227e3ffd8f9ff9b20188c473a849.jpg

Idea I got from a member here. Two pieces of hose and a drill operated pump for getting the water from the brute to the tank.

Also picked up a bucket of salt.

Tank is in the house and the 100lbs of PFS are in. Am filling the brute as we speak and hopefully be able to mix the salt tonight and put the first brute full in the tank tomorrow morning.
img_1855291_0_16dec62d5557f822a0130fcb067471de.jpg

Cycling - Day 1

Checked levels this morning:

Ammonia - .25ppm dosed to 4ppm
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

And the wait begins! :popcorn:

img_1857236_0_d03c20a8fef8deed99a78015c56c91b3.jpg

Where did you get that drill pump? Have you tried it yet? I have never seen such a thing and it looks like a superb idea!

Got the pump at Ace Hardware. It was about $15 and the hoses and fittings were about another $15. Worth every penny. Empty the 44 gallon Brute in about 5 minutes. I do recommend an electric drill, killed one cordless battery per Brute....LOL!

Started the cycle on the 18th, last night I had 3ppm ammo, 5ppm nitrIte and 20ppm nitrAte. Cycle is well on the way! I had 100lbs of live rock, so I don't think this is going to take long.

Back
Top Bottom